Stator issue - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Stator issue

Hey everybody, I know that these 900 Vulcans have stator problems, I just bought one and the kid said he had a mechanic diagnose bad stator so he replaced it but used butt connectors and it wouldn't run after. I bought it for super cheap and took the stator out and the connectors fell right out. the bike cranks but does not start. Im curious now does the stator need to be wired in for bike to run? can I use rtv, gasket maker paper, or anything else on the generator cover besides the metal gasket that I don't want to wait for? what would be the first thing to check if the bike is cranking and sounds good but no start? also I used starting fluid but nothing, thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

also, I have been researching on this forum about stators but in all the forums the bikes were running to check the stator and rectifier that's why I made a new one because mine does not run. I have come to the conclusion that a guy names sfair is the guy to talk to so I hope he can chime in.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 PM

Stator issue

Sfair was immensely helpful in diagnosing and ultimately replacing my stator last year... Dude knows his stuff!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Galaxy Silver
12 inch ape hangers
Hard-Krome 2.5 Inch Strippers
Saddleman Explorer 2up seat
Kuraykn Iso Grips
Cobra Short Backrest
Jafrum Leather Saddle Bags
12v Power Point
114 Blue Leds
One Fat Ride!

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Stator doesn't come into play until the engine is running - you have other issues as well, will have to determine if electrical or fuel. I'm assuming if it's cranking good the battery is charged and voltage good, but probably wouldn't hurt to start with an overnight on the battery tender, then go from there. Like you said, sfair is the go-to guy.

2006 Vulcan 500 LTD
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Top Contributor

Some questions:

1. What year?
2. How many miles?
3. Do you know any history of the bike?
4. What work have you done so far?
5. Any non-factory add-ons...pipes, fuel processor, etc?

I do not recommend the use of ether to start engines. It is for old worn out Clatterpillars only.

Post back.

Last edited by sfair; 02-22-2013 at 11:53 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Some questions:

1. What year?
2. How many miles?
3. Do you know any history of the bike?
4. What work have you done so far?
5. Any non-factory add-ons...pipes, fuel processor, etc?

I do not recommend the use of ether to start engines. It is for old worn out Clatterpillars only.

Post back.
Thanks for replying sfair! it is a 2006 900 classic, I think around 30,000 miles, I know that last summer the kid had it running but it would only run when the battery was charged then a few days of riding it wouldn't run until battery was charged again, he said his uncle who is a bike mechanic diagnosed bad stator, the kid bought a new stator and wired it in but thought he did it wrong, he used butt connectors that came undone immediately after I removed the cover. all I have done is take off intake, ran a couple different batteries because I have got three of them, I know one is brand new but it goes to another one of my bikes, I also took stator cover off. It has cobra pipes, k&n style intake, and a kuryakyn wild things fuel injection controller.

a little bit about me, I am a starting out automotive and diesel mechanic so I am very handy with tools. except a multimeter ha ha just my luck because that's the skill I need right now. I am in school learning electrical right now so sorry if I seem like I have no idea when it comes to anything electrical. I appreciate the help very much
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Top Contributor

1. Is the stator wired in correctly now?
2. You said you removed intake....what exactly is that?
3. While swapping batteries in and out, did you ever accidently connect one backwards or have any sparks when cables were connected?
4. The problem now is it cranks fine but no start?
5. Do you have a meter? If so, post back with make and model number.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
1. Is the stator wired in correctly now?
2. You said you removed intake....what exactly is that?
3. While swapping batteries in and out, did you ever accidently connect one backwards or have any sparks when cables were connected?
4. The problem now is it cranks fine but no start?
5. Do you have a meter? If so, post back with make and model number.
No stator is out of bike I need to get a gasket first. The air filter and cover I meant, sorry wrong name for it. No I am sure I did not connect batteries backwards at all. Yes problem now is I need to get bike running to check stator first. No meter yet but ill go get one tomorrow from autozone probably.

2006 900 Vulcan classic, cobra pipes, intake, wild things fuel controller.
1996 Honda magna vf750c
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Any suggestions on what meter I should get? I want to spend about 30 to 40 or less if o could . I have a nice one from the tool truck on order now just don't have it yet. BTW thanks for the help

2006 900 Vulcan classic, cobra pipes, intake, wild things fuel controller.
1996 Honda magna vf750c
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Top Contributor

Your price range is fine for a meter. Sometimes it is nice to have an audible tone, so if one has that and one does not, take the tone one.
Post back with make and model of meter and when you are ready to dip your toes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode