Vulcan Security - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Vulcan Security

I got my 900 Classic in Aug 2012. First bike I've owned since 1973. I have put about 2000 miles on it. I am wanting to take some longer rides and some overnight trips and was wondering what some of you do to secure your ride while staying overnite in a motel. Thanks in advance for your advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 AM
Top Contributor

Not a whole lot you can do, short of a security system and there's plenty of those out there with as many bells and whistles you want. When I'm over nighting I try and park as close to a street light and my hotel window as possible. Lock the forks of course and if in a group we'll cable our bikes together. I also take all my bags in because I have all soft luggage and it's easy to remove. If you're staying somewhere with an overhang at the front entrance they'll usually let you park it there as long as you don't block the door. That's nice because it's well lit and there's usually a desk clerk there all night.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Cruiser type motorcycles are rarely stolen, typically it's the sportbikes you've got to worry about. Even then, they don't ride off with them they toss them into a van or a truck. Short of cabling it to a telephone pole, not much you can do there.

If possible, you COULD try to tether the bike to something, but it's hard to rely on that because sometimes you don't know what the parking situation is until you get there! Some motels have locked/gated parking, specific motorcycle parking, etc. Look for hotels with surveillance on the lot, or that are on a busy street. But in the end, there's not a ton you can do.

I have hard bags and a trunk that locks. However, I empty them out and leave them unlocked. I figure, what's a whole lot more likely than someone stealing my bike, is them breaking into my bags/trunk and seeing what valuables are in there. I lock it if I leave anything in there, but I never leave anything valuable, and if I empty them out I leave them unlocked thinking that; if someone decides they need to rifle through them, it'll be unlocked so they won't have to damage them to get in!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Top Contributor

A friend of mine was telling me how some one stole 2 sport bikes out from in front of his office (It was an inner city office not close to here in VA. Just can't remember where). One his and another was another employee at the same place. They had a Ton truck with a box on the back with a boom in it and just drove up, swung the boom out strapped both bikes together and swung it in truck and took of. All in the time it took him to call the police. Could not get tag numbers or a description other than a white box truck. Never saw the bikes again.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM

you know I think about this too... I live in the Daytona Beach area and I see really expensive leather jackets and helmets left on the bikes while people shop, eat etc... frankly I guess some folks worry more than others but agree if someone wants your bike or gear they will find a way to get it.
I like the old park under the canopy by the front door too myself.... at least their is a clerk nearby all night.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 12:29 PM

I have mine alarmed with a 2 way pager system. If someone moves the bike, I get paged on the wireless pendant provided with the alarm. It includes a premise alarm that electronically puts a bubble around the bike and senses if anyone is close to it for a longer time than just walking by. Not to mention if it is moved at all, it will go off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 VN900 Classic LT (Dragon Theme)
Cobra- Pipes, FI2000, Passenger Floor boards, Engine guard and luggage rack.
Memphis Shade with 9" windshield.
Mustang seat
Chrome covers for neck, radiator, Rear brake Master Cylinder, and regulator.
Kuryakan Grips
RC Components Nitro Chrome wheels w/ Night Dragon Tires.
Çobra Power Flo breather
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcar View Post
I have mine alarmed with a 2 way pager system. If someone moves the bike, I get paged on the wireless pendant provided with the alarm. It includes a premise alarm that electronically puts a bubble around the bike and senses if anyone is close to it for a longer time than just walking by. Not to mention if it is moved at all, it will go off.
Got a link? Sounds interesting. I'd like to find one that also would alarm if my bags were opened. I'm more concerned about things on my bike being stolen than the bike itself.

Here's why sport bikes are, by far, the most stolen bikes:

Granted, sport bikes are also probably more valuable in the stolen market. Just like import cars and electronics.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM

Hi Romans 5.8, here is the link.
You can hard wire the bags as well by adding alarm contacts to them. The alarm has a circuit for that also. http://www.internatrix.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 VN900 Classic LT (Dragon Theme)
Cobra- Pipes, FI2000, Passenger Floor boards, Engine guard and luggage rack.
Memphis Shade with 9" windshield.
Mustang seat
Chrome covers for neck, radiator, Rear brake Master Cylinder, and regulator.
Kuryakan Grips
RC Components Nitro Chrome wheels w/ Night Dragon Tires.
Çobra Power Flo breather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode