I've made the switch and saying "hello"... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

I've made the switch and saying "hello"...

(Long 1st post but happy reading...!)

Hello the forum...I've been lurking a bit, just learning how the forum works, and have now become a new member.

I've recently made the switch from "sport" riding to something a little different...the last 2 bikes being Ducati Monsters (M800 and S2R1000). This 2009 900SE is actually my 2nd Vulcan, the 1st being a Vulcan 500 oh-so-many years ago.

I made the decision to switch mainly after one...<ahem>..."spirited" ride on the Duc and I couldn't move for 2 days...

I haven't ridden the new bike much because I'm having the most awful time finding proper-fitting goggles. I have absolutely no bridge on my nose so the normal riding glasses don't fit. After goggles #4, which still didn't let me see clearly due to the wind, I give up.

There I was, with goggles #4, eyes are watering, squinting to see, coming up to an intersection, and some numnuts decides to pull a u-turn right in front of me...and...have you ever seen a cruiser "backing it in"...so to speak...

Anyway, I might have to go back to my full-face (was hoping not to), or add a windshield (not really what I want to do either)...or maybe someone can suggest a good 3/4 helmet with visor...?

So here she is...I did the reflectoromy and mini-debadge...still of 2-minds on the tank badging... I had to get the floor boards and heel/toe shifter because I couldn't reach the pedals, me being a shortie at 5'4"...the floor boards are soooo comfortable, I don't think I'll ever own another bike without...!

See you on the forums...asking, learning, and contributing...!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:13 AM
Top Contributor

Hate to say this, but riding w/o glasses/goggles even if you have a windshield is not the best idea. I have a full windshield and still get hit in the face with "stuff" from time to time. A helmet with a visor will help, but much like the windshield, a visor only can let particles up under the edge that can get into your eyes. You might consider something like the HJC IS-33 with the flip-down sun shield built in and the pull down visor. That may help.

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:41 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Welcome to the forum!

-------------------------------------
'02 Vulcan 1500 Drifter
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
'06 HD XL1200C
'76 HD XLH
Patriot Guard Rider
SCRC, Rolling Hills Chapter 314
-Rob

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Top Contributor

Welcome aboard Jammer!
Nice bike!

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 08:03 AM

Yeppers, welcome. Now let the modding begin.

2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
De-baffled
Gauge fixed
Mustang Seat
Memphis Shades Batwing
Passenger floorboards
Trunk and luggage rack
Hard bags with racks
Chrome side covers
Wide blade levers (love 'em)
3 1/2 inch Risers
2004 VN750
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 06:43 PM

welcome nice bike
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Hate to say this, but riding w/o glasses/goggles even if you have a windshield is not the best idea. I have a full windshield and still get hit in the face with "stuff" from time to time. A helmet with a visor will help, but much like the windshield, a visor only can let particles up under the edge that can get into your eyes. You might consider something like the HJC IS-33 with the flip-down sun shield built in and the pull down visor. That may help.

Actually I only said that I'm having trouble finding goggles that fit...I currently have 4 new goggles sitting in a box... I had thought they fit well in the store, but once on the road...it's eye-watering time... So the bike is sitting till I sort out what I'm going to do with the helmet/goggles situation.

After years of sport riding, the wind doesn't bother me as a whole. I just wish I can see...! A full-face helmet will allow that but I would like to enjoy the wind-in-face experience...which is why I am indeed considering a 3/4 helmet...

The HJC doesn't fit so it'll have to be something else...
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome...! The modding has indeed begun...

Though I think I'll leave the stock pipes alone...for now...it let's me sneak out for late night rides...and I bought the SE solely because of the black pipes...
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Top Contributor

We have tried several makes and models of 3/4 helmets thru the years... our favorite is the Vega Nitro Touring helmet with flip up shield or it comes with a visor that will replace the shield if and when you want to. The visor can be raised or lowered into several settings. Granted we only where them in the winter... but we do like them the best when we ride with 3/4 helmets.

~Mark
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:23 AM
Top Contributor

Hello,
beautiful bike I must say.

I own a full face and an open face and every time I put my open face on to go out, I think, Why risk my face, jaw and nose being smashed to pieces? I take it off and put on my full face and feel much more relaxed.
A bit less comfort for a lot more piece of mind

Just my 2 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode