Lost my lower gears...?? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Lost my lower gears...??

Well I was on a little ride yesterday, about 25 miles from home. I did a down shift and the shifter didn't kick back up. I could lift it back up with my foot back to five but down shift again and only 4th gear again. pulled over and played with it a while and managed to get 3rd once. Hit the road back home in 4th and 5th. I haven't checked it out today. It's a 2010 900 Classic which I bough this summer new in the crate. I'm sick about it and don't know what to do except take it to the dealer for a fix.

Any thing I should try first?
Thanks

Micah 6:8 ( King James )
[He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?]

__________________________ 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Sounds like a trip to the dealer... If you bought it last summer, you should still have your warranty (how many miles?). Outside of not shifting down, any other issues, noises, grinding while thebike is in motion? Does the clutch feel like it's operating correctly? I am wondering if the clutch is not engaging enough to allow a down shift to the lower gears (speculation...). In any case, I'd have the dealer take a look at it. Good luck (I have the same year & model).

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Top Contributor

Shouldn't it still be under warranty???

Looks like you beat me to it.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Lost my lower gears...??

Would contact dealer right away to fix. Dont ride it until it is. Even if you doget it working for now, if it dont do it again for 6-8 months, when the warranty is out, its a major exspence to fix. At least this way you have the probablem documented at the dealer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it is in Warranty. To the shop she goes! I suppose I'm in denial. lol Thanks everyone.

[He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?]

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
Would contact dealer right away to fix. Dont ride it until it is. Even if you doget it working for now, if it dont do it again for 6-8 months, when the warranty is out, its a major exspence to fix. At least this way you have the probablem documented at the dealer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
This will help you a lot. I leaned this one the hard way with GM once. If you take it to a dealer and they don't find anything they still have to document it and it will help build a case for you if it COMPLETELY fails after the warranty is gone.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
A friend of mine rides a Sportster and had trans troubles last winter. Took it in and they had to completely rebuild it, $3400 that time, 2 months later had to have done again at 3700. He was very glad he had exstended warranty. # weeks later the belt broke, bought a new one and it broke 5 days later. Took it back and the shop replaced this one because the front pulley was not alinged properly.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 06:02 PM

Hmmmmm, just a few ideas to explore right off the top of my head.

Shifter return spring?

Shifter linkage adjustment?

Clutch lever adjustment?

Check oil level?

These may or may not have anything to do with the problem, but I would attempt to check them out if I could without harming the bike. I agree with the others that since it's under warranty, you should take it to the shop, but I would still want to know the source/cause of the problem.

Good luck.

My Current Rides
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2005 Harley Electra Glide Classic
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas63 View Post
Hmmmmm, just a few ideas to explore right off the top of my head.

Shifter return spring?

Shifter linkage adjustment?

Clutch lever adjustment?

Check oil level?

These may or may not have anything to do with the problem, but I would attempt to check them out if I could without harming the bike. I agree with the others that since it's under warranty, you should take it to the shop, but I would still want to know the source/cause of the problem.

Good luck.
Just my thinking, First thing I did was check the oil but I knew not because I keep an eye on that as I change it myself.

I am thinking clutch adjustment or likkage adjustment but am dumb on how to check or do the adjustment on a bike. If it was a car I might could figure it out.

Is there a quick check I can do?
Thanks

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 PM

On your clutch lever adjustment, here is what I would do. Pull very lightly on the clutch lever with your fingertips just to take out the slack. Then see how much gap is between the clutch lever and the housing. If there is more than about 1/8" then I would consider adjusting the lever.

Don't know how to tell you to check the shifter linkage other than to see that the shifter pegs move in a full range of motion when up shifting or down shifting. I've never measured what the full range of motion is.

Oh, here is one other thing. Don't baby it when shifting gears. I always use the heel shifter to upshift and I stomp it pretty good. Likewise, when downshifting, I tap the toe shifter pretty firmly. Don't be afraid you're going to hurt it.

My Current Rides
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2005 Harley Electra Glide Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode