2009 custom factory fitted immobilizer ? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

2009 custom factory fitted immobilizer ?

anybody know if the 2009 custom has a factory fitted immobilizer ?
i have fitted a new alarm with a built in immobilizer and remote start everything is working fine except the remote start which as per the manufacturers instructions i have fitted to the red and yellow wire coming out of the starter relay the starter motor turns over but it wont fire up unless i put the key in the ignition and turn it on and then start it with the remote start i can then remove the key and it will stay running is their any way to wire it up so it will start up without putting the key in the ignition the tech guy claims their must be a immobilizer and is talking about installing a resistor to another wire is this correct and if so where does it go ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
First of all, I can't answer your question. But I'm curious as to why you want a remote starter. I get it with cars in cold weather; warm up the heater, defrost the windshield. But I'm at a loss as to what advantage there is to starting your bike remotely. I'm not picking here, just curious.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post
First of all, I can't answer your question. But I'm curious as to why you want a remote starter. I get it with cars in cold weather; warm up the heater, defrost the windshield. But I'm at a loss as to what advantage there is to starting your bike remotely. I'm not picking here, just curious.
was wondering the same thing myself.

Sorry can't help ya but just curious.

Just hope it wont attempt to start when its in gear. I know a boy who done that on an older K5 Blazer with a manual and rammed it in to the car infront of him when he was using the remote start. Old habits are hard to break.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM

The way I always understood aftermarket remote starters is they only work with a key in the ignition. Which in a car is not normally a real issue. It would be with a bike though
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

i got the alarm just for a little added security for when i am out and leave the bike parked it receives a little bit of attention and i don't want any body touching it while i am not their, the remote start is just one of the features and if its in use i can also turn the bike off via remote just in case some one tries to hijack me and the keys are inn my pocket and i figured if its part of the alarm i might as well try to get it all working as it should

Last edited by cobra 1; 02-18-2013 at 04:49 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM

To answer your question, no there is no factory alarm/immobilizer on a 2009 Custom, just the normal safety switches on the clutch and kick stand.

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:27 PM

I would think with the wiring diagram for the bike and getting familar with the type of alarm, you may be able to add a relay that would open or close the key switch when the remote start is requested. Probably would have to tap in on the wiring harness or at the switch itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 VN900 Classic LT (Dragon Theme)
Cobra- Pipes, FI2000, Passenger Floor boards, Engine guard and luggage rack.
Memphis Shade with 9" windshield.
Mustang seat
Chrome covers for neck, radiator, Rear brake Master Cylinder, and regulator.
Kuryakan Grips
RC Components Nitro Chrome wheels w/ Night Dragon Tires.
«obra Power Flo breather
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

thanks vulcar
the tech guy has told me to solder in a transistor with one leg going to permanent live one going to ground earth and one going to the live when the ignition is on from the ignition loom (brown wire) i would rather use a relay if that will do the same job but they have four or five wires and i would only need three would it still work ok
thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 06:10 PM

Hi Cobra 1, I suppose the transistor would work? Did he give you a type of Transistor?

In looking at the wiring diagram, the ignition switch is a 'NO" normally open switch. Closing the switch sends +12 volts from the main fuse via a wire labled "W" (I assume is White to the other side of the switch "BR" (I assume Brown) to many different sensors, relays, ECU, etc. Can your alarm output +12 volts only when you request a remote start mode? Probably an internal relay in the alarm would do this. If so, installing a 12 volt relay using the NO dry contacts across the "W (White) and BR" (brown) wire should do the trick. By using the alarm 12 volt remote start output to fire the relay you close the contacts. Of course the relay needs to stay energized to keep the bike running in this mode. Make sure the 12 V to the relay is not present when in armed and not armed mode but only when the remote start program is active. You do not want the relay to stay energized if not in remote start mode as the switch would remain on all the time. What is the brand and model of alarm you have? I do not understand your question about the 4 or five wires you mention. I would need a schematic or install manual and operator manual of the alarm to understand it before I could provide further advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 VN900 Classic LT (Dragon Theme)
Cobra- Pipes, FI2000, Passenger Floor boards, Engine guard and luggage rack.
Memphis Shade with 9" windshield.
Mustang seat
Chrome covers for neck, radiator, Rear brake Master Cylinder, and regulator.
Kuryakan Grips
RC Components Nitro Chrome wheels w/ Night Dragon Tires.
«obra Power Flo breather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode