900 Kick Stand - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

900 Kick Stand

Having a problem with my kick stand. It is hangign down enough to drag the ground on corners. This morning the spring fell off. Is this common? And is there a fix?

Thanks!!

900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculou View Post
Having a problem with my kick stand. It is hangign down enough to drag the ground on corners. This morning the spring fell off. Is this common? And is there a fix?

Thanks!!
A few riders have complained that the bracket for the kickstand that is welded to the frame can come apart. I would check there first.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
A few riders have complained that the bracket for the kickstand that is welded to the frame can come apart. I would check there first.
Just looked over it real good. Doesn't look like anything is cracked or bent. Bad spring myabe?

900 Classic

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 AM

You'll find the shoulder on the kickstand bolt is worn away along with the hole in the frame mounted tab being wallered out. For mine I welded up the hole in the tab and redrilled it to the proper size and replaced the bolt and nut. I also had to weld and redrill one side of the kickstand itself since the bolt actually threads into the other side of the stand. Once you have a new bolt and nut, it's a relatively simple fix that only took a few minutes. If you don't have tools, equipment and the know how to use them you'll have to find someone who does and pay their price.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Just don't know how they get away with this Kawasaki. Some one could get hurt, One of them stands lets goes and falls on some one

2006 900 LT

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here is another Hobby of mine model boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieC View Post
Just don't know how they get away with this Kawasaki. Some one could get hurt, One of them stands lets goes and falls on some one
More like the stand goes down, you're making a left turn, the bike pivots on the stand as the engine dies.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
More like the stand goes down, you're making a left turn, the bike pivots on the stand as the engine dies.
And don't think this can't happen. A bit over 30 years ago I was running hard and fast on a county road when the stand dropped just as I crested a hill and entered a hard left. Took out about 50 feet of woven wire fence, 3 posts and a bunch of multifloral roses. Cost me a good set of leathers, helmet, gloves and boots and left me a bloody mess. Bike was severely damaged also. You would think the stand would just pop up at first contact. Doesn't always work that way. Didn't have the stand switch back then to kill the engine but I assure you it wouldn't have mattered.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
You'll find the shoulder on the kickstand bolt is worn away along with the hole in the frame mounted tab being wallered out. For mine I welded up the hole in the tab and redrilled it to the proper size and replaced the bolt and nut. I also had to weld and redrill one side of the kickstand itself since the bolt actually threads into the other side of the stand. Once you have a new bolt and nut, it's a relatively simple fix that only took a few minutes. If you don't have tools, equipment and the know how to use them you'll have to find someone who does and pay their price.
As luck would have it , I bought the extended warranty. Kawasaki said they would cover it. Cost me $50 deductable for the new stand, bolt, spring, and to weld / redrill hole. Good as new now, but should never have been buile like this in the first place!!

900 Classic
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculou View Post
As luck would have it , I bought the extended warranty. Kawasaki said they would cover it. Cost me $50 deductable for the new stand, bolt, spring, and to weld / redrill hole. Good as new now, but should never have been buile like this in the first place!!
Not much difference between how the stand mounts on our 900s and every other bike out there. The problem is in the materials used. Still not that big of an issue to me.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
Not much difference between how the stand mounts on our 900s and every other bike out there. The problem is in the materials used. Still not that big of an issue to me.
I have never heard of this issue with the VN either ... least it works ... i had a series of Suzuki road bikes where the stand just goes past the center angle and was prone to retracting if the bike was on a slight angle facing forward and moved slightly .. this was due to the kick stands shallow swing..

Then again, some sit on their bikes with the stand down putting another 200 lbs weight on the bracket and stand, see it all the time. Springs stretch over time and metal fatigues.

Not an iissue for me either.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

Last edited by whiting57; 03-03-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode