Keeping Vulcan 900 outside 20- 32 degree - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Keeping Vulcan 900 outside 20- 32 degree

Going to get clobbered here but I am losing my garage storage next week and can pay the dealer to store my bike in their garage, but for argument sake if the temperature is from 20-30 degrees with the battery on a tender and a full tank on stabilizer, with a good breathable cover, what is the risk? It looks like it will be warming up early this year in Western North Carolina and it would only be a couple of weeks outside while it is cold. I get out and ride it at least once to twice a month in the winter. I see a lot of bikers out now and wonder how many have garages.

Last edited by VulcanJohn; 02-11-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I think you'll be fine. She can take it. Mine is stored in temps that low or lower as well, with stabilized fuel and a battery tender. Never had an issue.

As long as the battery is on a tender you'll be fine. One concern might be, as it gets colder, the battery voltage will dip down to levels where it could start to sulphate, but a tender will solve that problem!

I'd definitely keep it under a good cover and give it a really good waxing though. I leave a little wax on nuts and bolts and certain chrome parts too, to prevent any corrosion. (I haven't yet found a cover that'll really keep the bike dry in a hard rain)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 PM

would something like this be suitable?

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x...ver-68775.html

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

shed in a box

cool idea. I am looking to investigate these things for next winter. The garage I am losing belongs to a relative who has sold the house.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 PM
BOTM Winner, May 2013

Garage
I bought my wife a 98 Honda Shadow ACE 750 Deluxe from a guy at work. He parked it next to his house under a really nice cover for 5 years because his garage is so full. He hadn't ridden much for the last 2, and I spent all of last winter cleaning out mud and rust from the rain splashing splashing from underneath. 1+ for Romans advice on a good coat of wax. I would even recommend a coat of Vaseline on your wheels and bolts, or just anywhere shiny and moisture is prone to lay. One other thing to consider if you have 12 month insurance on your scoot is whether your policy requires locked garage storage or not. I've had Rider, State Auto, and Geico policies, and they all asked if my bike would be stored in a locked garage. If (God forbid) your scoot is stolen or vandalized and you have to file a claim, it might affect it. Just came to mind when I read your thread.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Smile Appreciate the responses

I do maintain and polish my bike on a regular basis. Next winter I will contract with a dealer or a new friend for storing my bike in a garage. The worst of winter is over with here. I just wanted to see if there would be any possible damage for a short period as I would hate to do all the wrangling for just a couple of weeks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Top Contributor

just how "west" are ya? We've got extra room in our garage for several bikes here in Johnson City, TN, stays in the 50's down there in the winter, nice and dry.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 02:06 PM

Garage
Keep mine outside with 20-30 degree weather all winter in VA here. No tender, and no additive, just keep riding at least once a week and all is well.

They also have a bag you ride into and zip up over top of the bike to have it completely enclosed. Can't remember where I saw that in this forum.

But I was treated mercifully because I didn’t know what I was doing—didn’t know Who I was doing it against! Grace mixed with faith and love poured over me and into me. And all because of Jesus. Here’s a word you can take to heart and depend on: Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. I’m proof—Public Sinner Number One—of someone who could never have made it apart from sheer mercy.

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic

Last edited by Vandy; 02-12-2013 at 02:08 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Top Contributor

I feel for you guys that don't have a garage of some kind. Personally, it is been a terribly wet winter here and I would do better not to have a bike than to keep outside even with a cover. That's just me!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Smile West: Near Asheville

Just finished cleaning/waxing/polishing. Also bought a waterproof battery tender.

I am thankful for this forum. I read a lot of the posts to learn more about the bike even if I am not having the same issues. Sometimes I like surprising the dealer techs with my knowledge. I have a motorcycle meetup.com group and may meet friends this spring who have garages. From March to November the bike is outside under a Dowco Guardian heavy duty cover that goes all the way down to the pavement. The bike is a 2007 but I keep it in "new" condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode