Barons Lowering Kit Question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shadow01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Barons Lowering Kit Question

Hi all,
I have a question for those of you who have the Barons lowering lit installed on your Custom.
The instruction shows a photo of the new link arm with the two bolt holes marked as 1" and 2". From that photo, it looks like the upper hole is the one to use for the full 2" drop.
However, when you install the new link arm, the actual link arm is flipped over, resulting in the "upper" hole now being the "lower hole". Did anyone else note this problem?
So, my question is, once the new link arm is installed in the bike, which bolt hole are people using for the maximum 2" drop?
I have tried both holes, and there is a very minor difference (less than 1/2") in total drop between the two choices...with the LOWER hole offering me slightly more drop than the upper.
Does this align with other people's findings?
BTW, I have an e-mail into Barons, with no response for a week.
Oh, one other issue, the OEM link arm has a dust seal inside the pivot on both ends whereas the Barons part does not. Has anyone attempted to re and re those seals and install them in the Barons part?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 PM

i noticed the exact same thing when i installed my barons link, had me scratching my head for a second.
I have to assume that the 1" drop is the top hole and the bottom is for the 2" also.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Machu...anyone else?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 PM
BOTM Winner, August 2013

Garage
How difficult is the install? I want to lower my bike as well. Will probably order this next month and install it myself.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Hi Sand, the Barons lowing kit is fairly easy to install. You have to get the bike up on a stand/table lift to do this...the rear wheel needs to be clear of the ground and the bike very stable. I used a modification of the simple 2X8 wood jack (described in the sticky thread).

Once the rear of the bike is up in the air, you unbolt the OEM link, swap the pivot piece, and then install the Barons link. There is a good visual on Youtube. You need the right sized sockets on both ends of each bolt to get them on and off. It is also handy to lift/juggle the rear tire in order to re & re the bolts as they tend to hang up if there is too much pressure on them.

I was experiencing some confusion on which lower end bolt hole to use for the maximum drop (on the Barons piece). I have now confirmed with the tech that the lowest hole (on the lower link arm attachment points) is the one to use.

I also had another question about the grease/dust seals from the OEM link arm pivot end...the OEM piece has seals protecting the needle bearings...while the Barons piece does not. I have yet to confirm if those two seals can be swapped into the Barons piece or if they just figure that they are not needed. My guess is that they figure those two seals are not required.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

This is the pic I received from LA Choppers.

Chucky also told me that they do not worry about the dust seals from the OEM part...they just grease the needle bearings and go. We'll see how that works out when I disassemble the link in the fall to take a look.

Hope some of this helps others who want to install the Barons lowering kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barons Kawa Suspension Lowering Kit Lower Bolt Picture.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	15402  
gennaro likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 PM

the instructions were a bit confusing, actually printed in mirrored to what you would want to do. I just tried both holes and went with the one that gave me the lowest height.

2016 Indian Dark Horse Chief w/Distressed tan leather
2010 VN 900 Custom SE Tourer
F&S SE Back Rest w/3" extensions
Roadkrome Sturgis Hardbags
Corbin Dual Tourer
Turn Signals w/Smoke Covers
Genmar Risers
Black Mirrors
Black 09 SE Pipes Stage 2 De-baffle
Blacked-Out Handlebar Controls
2008 HD FLH Fairing w/stereo and 6in shield
CC Crash Bar Black
Passenger and driver Floor Boards (Chrome)
Pirelli 200 Rear&90/90 Front

USCG CWO (Ret)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode