Cold Hands - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Cold Hands

So even down here in Houston it's cold in the mornings. I try to ride everyday, but my hands are freezing on the mornings when it is below 40, and when it gets down in the 20's I usually wimp out. I'm debating either getting heated gloves or getting some wind deflectors for my hands. The wind deflectors are cheaper and I wouldn't have to worry about wiring up or charging a piece of gear every morning. But I'm not sure about the look of the deflectors, I have a custom and I've tried to keep it more minimal and sleek.

Glove I'm considering
http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/hybridGlove.php

Deflector
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ75585

So opinions from anyone who's gone either route or both routes?

Am I missing a better option for either of them?

For the deflector, those are the only ones that say they fit a custom, but they only go to 2009, think they'd fit a 2011?

'11 Vulcan 900 Custom SE
Kawasaki Cafe Windshield
Genmar X11blk Risers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
When it's below 40 here I started wearing silk glover liners under my weather proof gloves. Works well down to about 30 degrees.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Yes ... variable temp heated grips

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Top Contributor

blast from the past

"back in the day," there was a product called Hippo Hands, made by Craig Vetter, the same guy who made tons of fairings for the bikes of the '70's and '80's. There are still some imitators around today, Google them. I've got a pair of the imitators on my V2K.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Top Contributor

I too wimp out in the low 40s. Even then I use the chemical warmer packs stuff into the gloves on the back of my hands. They help some, but the finger tips still get cold.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 PM

I ride a vaquero and bought a pair of grabber battery powered gloves 4aa batterys it was a waste of money if you want a good pair of glovesexpect to spend $190 on them. I reserched alot of gloves and only the exspencive ones has wires that go down to the end of your fingers. I had better luck with a pair of leather thinsulate gauntlet gloves with a army surplus wool liner. The battery ones work to about 35 degrees with a good charge and don;t last long on high. Thats my expereance others may have alot better luck or know a better way of doing it if so let me know. Thanks

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks he head out the car window. Enjoy life.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Top Contributor

Silk liners,air deflectors, +1.

JJ

'97 Valkyrie Tourer '06 Stratoliner Midnight '09 V2KLT

NOT a member of an organized religion

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 PM
Goobe

Re: Cold Hands

The thing to remember with cold temperature is layers layers layers. The more the better. To a point of course, you don't want to sweat. That's not good. Freeze Out makes an entire suit for this. Cycle Gear carries it. I use it. It works.

'06 Clasic 1500 T6 Ann Ed

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Heated gloves are a good investment.

You hit a wall at a certain point (for me that's around 35-40F). At that point, if you put on more gloves it becomes difficult to feel and control switches, but if you don't your too cold, only solution there is electricity!

When it's above that, I wear deerskin lined leather gloves and a pair of silk thermal gloves underneath.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, back when I didn't have a car and I needed to make a long trip in the cold I would get a thin pair of knit gloves, then put a pair of latex gloves over those, then put on my insulated leather gloves. The latex gloves helped create an air barrier that worked pretty well.

But I was looking for a little more elegant solution. I have an hour drive each morning. I don't mind low 40's, that's what it was today and my hands were cold but it wasn't bad. When it gets down in the 30's it's painful by the time I'm halfway there. When it's in the 20's it's painful after about 5 minutes.

The heated gloves I'm looking at aren't cheap, they do heat down through the fingers. So I imagine that would help, but they are $170 plus another 99 if I want the batteries instead of wiring them into my bike. I'm pretty sure those would do the trick.

I'm not sure about the hippo hands muffs, those seem like they would be awkward. Also the heated grips seem to be operating from the wrong side, I don't know how well that would work for the outside of my hands. I may look at finding a good thermal liner to try first.

I saw one post give the deflector a plus, anyone put them on a 900 custom?

'11 Vulcan 900 Custom SE
Kawasaki Cafe Windshield
Genmar X11blk Risers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode