how do i check for leaking pipes - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

how do i check for leaking pipes

can anybody tell me an easy way to check to see if my new pipes are leaking i have just installed a set if twin slash cuts and i have a fi 2000 and la choppers big air kit and before i start playing around with the setting for the fi 2000 i want to make sure i don't have any leaks i have checked and can not see any visible exhaust fumes coming from anywhere and i did install new gaskets i am getting a little bit of popping in deceleration also would it be a good idea to marble i am running the fi 2000 at 2-2-1 any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Lifetime Premium

Put some very soapy water at the headers and check for bubbles, no bubbles, no leaks!
Cobra presets the Fi2000 at their factory for aftermarket pipes and aftermarket intake. Usually pretty accurate. Was yours set at 2-2-1 from Cobra? Decel popping would be normal for your setup. I have learned how to handle the throttle on my V2K with Fi2000 , aftermarket pipes and intake, to minimalize popping. You will always have some. You just didn't hear it before with your significantly baffled pipes
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

the fi2000 was set at 4-2-0 but the popping was a lot more frequent and louder in the lower gears when it was set at that .to be honest at 2-2-1 its not something i cant live with but i did not know if it would do any damage to the pipes or the engine and if i can more or less eliminate it that would be great

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 PM

some use cigarette smoke for me I use incense stick work very good!!! you almost have the same set up, block the reed valve ! I'm sure this will make the job!!

Vance and Hines Slash-Cut Staggereds.
LA Chopper intake
Cobra FI2000 PowrPro (auto tune)
Hid head light
Wrap Around LED Fork Turn Signal
Integrated Tail and Turn Signal Kit
side mount plate
HANDLEBAR SANTEE 10" STRAIGHT-UP (harley handlebars)
black exhaust wrap
Kuryakyn BLACK ISO-GRIPS
Black Spear Custom Side Mirrors
Baron 1-2`` Lowering kit
Avon 230 and 90/90
Saddlemen Renegade Solo Seat
secondary butterfly remove
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra 1 View Post
can anybody tell me an easy way to check to see if my new pipes are leaking i have just installed a set if twin slash cuts and i have a fi 2000 and la choppers big air kit and before i start playing around with the setting for the fi 2000 i want to make sure i don't have any leaks i have checked and can not see any visible exhaust fumes coming from anywhere and i did install new gaskets i am getting a little bit of popping in deceleration also would it be a good idea to marble i am running the fi 2000 at 2-2-1 any suggestions
Check for leaks and then one way or the other block off (marble) the PAIR system. You are injecting fresh air into the exhaust at present with or without an exhaust leak. Also you will find that a trailing throttle when slowing down will generate a lot of decel popping. Try going to full zero throttle when slowing and see what happens.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:51 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaths View Post
some use cigarette smoke for me I use incense stick work very good!!! you almost have the same set up, block the reed valve ! I'm sure this will make the job!!
That is what I have always seen and heard of people doing. I don't smoke so I take a paper towel and roll it up tight and then fold it in half so it will produce a lot of smoke.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Top Contributor

I've just used the longer, older stick matches. If there is a leak the flame will flicker, get blown out of the leak is bad enough. Then the subsequent smoke trail is also useful.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015/Kawasaki/Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/Grey
So if there's a leak, how do you fix it then?

2015 Voyager Black/Grey
My Latest DriftGhost-S + GOPRO HERO4 MotoVlog: WHEN 2 MOTOVLOGGERS MEET IN KSA!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxVN900 View Post
So if there's a leak, how do you fix it then?
Depends on where the leak is. If it's around the flange to the cylinder head and the crush gaskets were never replaced, that's where to start. If new gaskets were installed and it's leaking, then loosen the nuts at the flanges, the clamps and the bolts holding the pipes to the frame, make sure nothing is binding, and start tightening everything starting at the make up to the engine working your way back. If the leak is at the make up of the muffler to the pipes then move the clamps closer to the leading end of the muffler and tighten again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode