Flush LED Blinkers for rear fender - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Flush LED Blinkers for rear fender

Just ordered this kit today. Will post pictures once received/installed.

http://www.xdcycle.com/discount-moto...Light-Bar.html

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 PM

i have been looking at these for a while. i cant justify paying $150+ for a led strip that costs $10 and a few hours forming and making a mounting bracket. i am going to attempt to build one and post a how too if it turns out well.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Re: Flush LED Blinkers for rear fender

yea i know that I'm probably overpaying, but i can't build anything (lack of skill, tools etc.) so I'm taking the easy way out. plus i picked up my bike without any blinkers and want to fix that asap.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Was this piece ever recieved and installed? I'd like to know, Thinking about ordering one.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar_R View Post
Was this piece ever recieved and installed? I'd like to know, Thinking about ordering one.
I did receive it and install it. Since the bike is new to me, I did not realize that I was missing a cord that would run from the terminal to the actual unit under the rear fender. I have not really tried finding a cord yet so the LED is there, but not currently functional. I know that does not do you much good, but definitely be prepared to make physical adjustments to the plastic bracket used to mount the unit. I had to extend the oval holes on it to be able to move the LED unit far enough back, so that I can align it with the fender. The way it came, the bracket kept the LED underneath the fender where you could not see it. Anyway, this was a minor adjustment, and did not cause much annoyance to me.

I did not forget about this thread, so I will post the final results as soon as everything's working. If anyone has suggestions about where I can get an idea of which cord I would need for this, that would be great (online, or in Austin, TX area).

Till it's done!

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 06:47 PM

Thank you for the info. Keep us updated.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM

I bought the same kit. I agree that it is a bit pricey for what it is but it looks nice. As the police in NJ can be "picky" I decided to modify my rear fender flap to allow me to use the light strip along with my stock turn signals. I added the dynamic clusters to my stock taillights as well. This gave me extra running lights, brake lights and turn signals. Both the dynamic clusters and the light strip are very bright. The light strip does mount well and the wiring is easy (once you get the fender off). you just tap into your stock turn signal wires. There is nothing you need to run back to the connections under the seat. I am really pleased with the way everything looks. I added an LED license plate bracket to complete the tail conversion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vulcan1.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	18362   Click image for larger version

Name:	vulcan2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	18370  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoboy View Post
I bought the same kit. I agree that it is a bit pricey for what it is but it looks nice. As the police in NJ can be "picky" I decided to modify my rear fender flap to allow me to use the light strip along with my stock turn signals. I added the dynamic clusters to my stock taillights as well. This gave me extra running lights, brake lights and turn signals. Both the dynamic clusters and the light strip are very bright. The light strip does mount well and the wiring is easy (once you get the fender off). you just tap into your stock turn signal wires. There is nothing you need to run back to the connections under the seat. I am really pleased with the way everything looks. I added an LED license plate bracket to complete the tail conversion.
That looks awesome! I kinda gave up on mine for some time mostly because the kit has wires without the plugs that could connect to the motorcycle wiring, and I don't want to just hard wire it. Did you work around that somehow? Maybe you did hook the plugs up to the kit?

Thanks!
B

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 06:09 PM
BOTM Winner, December 2013

just cut the plugs off the stock signals and splice them to the led strip....

VN 900 custom "Cheapo-Glide"
Reckless (clone of) fairing
Sony dsx-s100 stereo
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
yea that's the problem... i got mine without any stock signals... I think I may need to buy some plugs, but I'm not sure which ones will work.

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode