Indicator buzzer - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Indicator buzzer

Has anybody replaced the original turn signal relay with a flasher relay which incorporates a buzzer to let you know the indicators are on?
Have seen such a thing on ebay but not sure if it would fit Vulcan 900.
I too often leave my indicators on because the light on the tank is not in your normal field of vision when you are riding -you have to deliberately look down to see it which is not a good idea.
Regards,
ENRICO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Lifetime Premium

Check out this link

http://www.formtechservices.com/dirt...om/Beeper.html

I made one for my 900 custom and it has worked perfectly.

The world is a pool table,and all the people in it are either stripes or solids. You alone are the cue ball.”
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:23 PM

Garage
I installed the Kisan Signal Minder on my 900 LT. Shuts off the turn signal automatically in 10 seconds. Easy to install and adjustable to either 10, 20 or 30 seconds. My fellow riders had to stop calling be Blinky.

2010 Classic LT

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinba View Post
I installed the Kisan Signal Minder on my 900 LT. Shuts off the turn signal automatically in 10 seconds. Easy to install and adjustable to either 10, 20 or 30 seconds. My fellow riders had to stop calling be Blinky.
Collinba.
Did you install the SM=3M relay unit? If so did it fit under the seat with no problems. It looks as if it just plugs in and ready to go. I also see Kisan makes a 10A mini fuse than does the same thing.
https://www.kisantech.com/view_produ...ct=SM-3M<br />
https://www.kisantech.com/view_produ...product=10APF#

Last edited by mdsimon80; 01-29-2013 at 07:35 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 03:40 PM

Garage
I installed the SM-3M. It fit under the seat with no problem. I also have the Signal dynamics Backoff Brake Flasher module under the seat. The only slightly tricky part with the Signal Minder was installing the foam plugs in the switch. It was only trickly because I didn't realize at first that you have to cut them down - a lot. It only takes about 1/4 of the plug. Once I did that everything worked great. The problem with the 10APF is you still have to cancel by pushing the turnsignal switch in at some point before using the turnsignal again. With the SM-3M you push the turnsignal on and it turns off in 10 seconds - end of story. The Signal Minder also has an option for setting up a 4 way flasher and for setting it up to keep the flasher on if you are holding the brake (waiting to turn at a corner), neither of which I used.

2010 Classic LT
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 PM

I made my own with beeper but at stop lights it would have been a pain listening to it, so I used a relay that turns it off when rear brake light comes on. So when I release the brake[doesn't matter which] the beeping starts and reminds me to turn off signals. works like a charm
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:54 PM
Top Contributor

Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roglsa View Post
I made my own with beeper but at stop lights it would have been a pain listening to it, so I used a relay that turns it off when rear brake light comes on. So when I release the brake[doesn't matter which] the beeping starts and reminds me to turn off signals. works like a charm
What a GREAT IDEA! Thanks. Off to Fry's electronics tomorrow for a piezo, some diodes, relay and stuff. Thanks for posting that! (Sheeesch! Why didn't I think of that! Aargh!)

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roglsa View Post
Very clever. You could actually do this without a relay - use diodes from the turn signals, then ground the beeper to the input side of the brake light and it would ground through the lamp only when it is not energized. Might not work with mine, though - have the Tailblazer flashing brake lamp. Would have to test to see if it would work, but could always add the relay like you said.

2006 Vulcan 500 LTD
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:30 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
Very clever. You could actually do this without a relay - use diodes from the turn signals, then ground the beeper to the input side of the brake light and it would ground through the lamp only when it is not energized. Might not work with mine, though - have the Tailblazer flashing brake lamp. Would have to test to see if it would work, but could always add the relay like you said.
I thought of that and use that approach to alternate red SMEDs / amber bulbs behind clean lenses to create my own triple whammy. Also use resistors to drop the voltage, also with diodes, to twin source power to dim/bright the SMEDs for running / brake lights. I too have a brake lamp flasher and it hasn't been an issue.

And you're right. It is so clever, so simple, and so functional!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 PM
Top Contributor

OH, I do have to be careful there. I have also added my own circuit for 4 way flashers / parade flashers. Don't want the beeper going off with that circuit. Mmmmm. Food for thought.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode