How often to you have your spokes tightened? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

How often to you have your spokes tightened?

Just curious. My bike gets a wobble when I let go of the handle bars at about 45mph. Been doing it since I bought it. I adjusted the air pressure but no success. I don't think the front tire is cupped. (And the rear tire is in alignment with hash marks). Starting to think my front spokes aren't tightened even? Has anyone ever had there front wheel true'd? What was the cost? Or did you do it yourself? Also how often do the inspect? And how? This is my first sled with a spokes rim.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
How often to you have your spokes tightened?

Never checked on my 800 with spokes until I had to replace the rear wheel due to loose spokes oblonging the holes in the rim. If you have the tool kit that comes with the bike, you should have a spoke wrench in it. Lift the wheel off the groung and tap the spokes with the wrench, should get a good twang from them. If its a dull sound, that spoke is likely loose. Do a you tube search for spoke adjusting and watch a couple vids. Or can take to a shop you trust. Depending on your area, around $100 to do a wheel around here.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 AM
Lifetime Premium

Steering head bearings.

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
Steering head bearings.
Or stem nut torque.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 PM

or check your tire pressure

Father of Rufio

Maria-vn900lt
I've done some things to her
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 AM
Top Contributor

Wheel balance? Can't imagine how spokes would come untightened.

2008 VN900 Vulcan Classic
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 06:30 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
They dont acually become untightened, but they do stretch causing them to be loose. Every time you hit a bump that causes the suspention to move up and down, the spokes take the pressure 1st. And the spokes go through being stretched and loosened as the wheel turns. The spokes on the bottom of the wheel at any given point carry no load, but the ones on the top of the wheel carry all the load on that wheel.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Top Contributor

That wobble is a common thing in motorcycles, especially the larger ones. I include the 900 in the "larger" category because of its size and weight.

The source of that wobble is likely a product of improperly torqued steering head bearings or worn steering head bearings. A second source is a bad tire. I had that problem with an '05 Gold Wing I had. Right out of the box it had that wobble. I cured it by installing a set of All-Balls tapered steering head bearings and making sure they were properly torqued. I also found that the nuts holding the bearings down were so loose as to be finger tight!! No wonder it wobbled. The second time I had that problem was when I put on a set of new tires. It was tracked down to a bad rear tire. Apparently a defective belt in the tire itself, and I got a brand new tire for free to replace it. The bad one had 1500 miles on it with no cupping.

A third, but much less likely source of the problem would be loose swing arm bearings that need to be retorqued and/or the swing arm realigned. This is highly unlikely, however, and I would pursue checking out the steering head bearings. A loose spoke(s) would not cause a wobble unless almost all of them are ready to fall out.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode