15"... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
15"...

Hey, I have been researching tires and have concluded on getting a certain brand and size. However, in these forums I have noticed that there is not a lot of talk about 16" rear tires being put on your vulcans. I was wondering if riders are putting 16" tires on smaller rims, or if my 2006 classic is just getting old and I am not seeing any posts for 15" tires? Is a 16" option possible without getting a new rim. I know that sizes for height and width can vary a couple of sizes either way when determining what size to go with, but can the size of the tire move from a 15" to 16" as well? Upon writing this thread I have chosen to go with the:

Stock Dunlap D404
130/90 16M/C (67H) 

180/70B 15M/C (76H)

Metzeler ME 888
130/90 B16 (73H)
170/80 B15 (77H)

This will give me 2.5 less miles per hour to apply to my 5 mph average over the normal speed that the odo reads, getting me half way back to normal. However, are my calculations right for replacing my stock Dunlops with these Metzeler's, or shall I look for other tires?

But I was treated mercifully because I didn’t know what I was doing—didn’t know Who I was doing it against! Grace mixed with faith and love poured over me and into me. And all because of Jesus. Here’s a word you can take to heart and depend on: Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. I’m proof—Public Sinner Number One—of someone who could never have made it apart from sheer mercy.

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 PM

Dude, I hope I am just mis-understanding you...

There is NO WAY to mount a tire designed to be mounted on a 16" rim, directly on a 15" rim. Period.

There are loads of sites on the 'net that will tell you what all the tire numbering means. Width. Sidewall aspect ratio (as a percentage of the width). Rim size.

On the other hand, maybe you are just messing with us by asking if you can mount a 16" tire on a 15" rim...in which case...ya got me.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow01 View Post
Dude, I hope I am just mis-understanding you...

There is NO WAY to mount a tire designed to be mounted on a 16" rim, directly on a 15" rim. Period.

There are loads of sites on the 'net that will tell you what all the tire numbering means. Width. Sidewall aspect ratio (as a percentage of the width). Rim size.

On the other hand, maybe you are just messing with us by asking if you can mount a 16" tire on a 15" rim...in which case...ya got me.
No man, I'm not messing with you. All the talk on these forums has people saying they are mounting 16" tires on there rears. Am I the only person with a 15" rim on my vulcan? Just curious. I understand the numbers, height, width, percentage, load ratings, etc...just don't understand why I cannot find anyone speaking of putting a 15" tire on their rear.

But I was treated mercifully because I didn’t know what I was doing—didn’t know Who I was doing it against! Grace mixed with faith and love poured over me and into me. And all because of Jesus. Here’s a word you can take to heart and depend on: Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. I’m proof—Public Sinner Number One—of someone who could never have made it apart from sheer mercy.

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 AM
BOTM Winner, December 2013

i am fairly certain that there are zero threads other than this one regarding putting a 16" tire on the rear of a vulcan 900, as they all have a 15" rear wheel....even those who install custom rear wheels go with either a 17 or 18" wheel.....but some of the other vulcans like the 1500, 1600, and the v2k have a 16" rear wheel

VN 900 custom "Cheapo-Glide"
Reckless (clone of) fairing
Sony dsx-s100 stereo
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
i am fairly certain that there are zero threads other than this one regarding putting a 16" tire on the rear of a vulcan 900, as they all have a 15" rear wheel....even those who install custom rear wheels go with either a 17 or 18" wheel.....but some of the other vulcans like the 1500, 1600, and the v2k have a 16" rear wheel
OK, so I'm not crazy...Has anyone tried the Metz ME888 yet?

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
15"...

The 800s also have a 16" rear. At least is the way mine from the dealer. Its a classic if that makes a difference. Just like a car, the rim and tire have to match as faras 15 16 17 or whatever. The width and sidewall can very some but not large amounts.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
The 800s also have a 16" rear. At least is the way mine from the dealer. Its a classic if that makes a difference. Just like a car, the rim and tire have to match as faras 15 16 17 or whatever. The width and sidewall can very some but not large amounts.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yes Rick, it seems people in the forum seem to vary on the width and height up to two sizes either way rather frequently. As for the rim and tire size I understand. Hell, these guys are throwin car tires on these moto's, figured they may be able to rig something.

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 06:57 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I play with the link below once in awhile. It can compare 2 different size tires and tell you how it can effect speedo readings and engine RPMs at a given speed. I did have a link that showed the widest tire reccomened for a giving rim width also, but must have deleted it. I have heard of a 160mm wide tire being used on the 3" rim, but is not reccomened by tire companies, but it will give you a more round contact patch, and I believe a taller tire also. that can help with speedo reading slower. Dont take any of this as reccomendations by me, just passing on info. I would try a 160/80 or 90 if could find one resonable in a wide white wall.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php
I meant speedo reading to fast, actual speedo is slower than indicated.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Top Contributor

Seems to me that if you put a 16" tire on a 15" rim, you run the danger of the bead letting loose the first time any side pressure is applied to it. Further, it probably wouldn't hold air anyway.

My wife's '09 LT has Metzeler ME880's on it, and she loves them. Me, too. And the rear is a 15" 180 series tire. I'd say that if one wants to put a 16" tire on the rear, then they'd have to install a 16" rim. Lots of folks use a 200-series rear tire on their 900 because it seems to look better and because it has thicker tread, it has a larger outside diameter that results in making the final gearing taller, so the engine turns lower RPM's. Makes for a more relaxed cruise at higher speeds. The downside is that one will experience slightly less crisp acceleration. Won't be quite as snappy when you roll on the throttle, but I expect that it wouldn't be very noticeable.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Top Contributor

That is a cool site rick,thanks.

JJ

'97 Valkyrie Tourer '06 Stratoliner Midnight '09 V2KLT

NOT a member of an organized religion
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode