Removing both wheels?..How to info needed - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Removing both wheels?..How to info needed

The local guy i use to change tires is using his shop for storage in the winter,its just his part time gig.
He will change my tires,but, off bike only, as he has no room just now.
I dont like the idea off giving a Stealership $75 a tire to install and balance, so, i was wondering if i could R&R the wheels myself without too much brain damage?.
Here are my concerns:
1: Raising the bike evenly and securely to remove both wheels.
2: Re-aligning the wheels and belt tension.
3: Tightening them without a torque wrench.

Any input on tips and tricks to make this a smooth operation would be greatly appreciated , thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Top Contributor

I will put my disclaimer here right up front. Just because I do it does not mean it is the safest idea.

This is what I do with my V2K (and others I have owned) I use a standard floor jack and 2x to life the bike up. As I lift it I will place wood blocks under each side of the frame. Your bike will sit on those block with both wheels off the ground. Then I will take some tie down straps and hook each side of the handle bars and hook to the roof on my car port (mine is BUILT HEAVY DUTY) to help hold it while I work on it.

Like I said its not the safest way to do it but it works for me.

On the front all you should have to do is loosen the pinch bolt and turn your axle out. When you remove the axle just be sure to remember the direction and placement of the spacers and put them back the same. I like to put a little lube on the axle when I replace it so it will be easier to remove the next time. (just on the part the wheel rides on. Not the threads) Also DO NOT touch your front breaks when the wheel is off. You will have to push your brakes back in. If you are careful enough you do not have to remove your brakes to reinstall.

For the rear look and see where your adjusters are sitting and mark the spot on each side. Loosen then jam nut, adjuster, and axle nut and slide axle out. Same goes for the spacers and brakes. And reinstall in reverse order.

As for a torque wrench I have never used one yet. Not the best advice in the world but I go with "That looks tight enough".

Depends on your set up it can be ANNOYING and AGGRAVATING. Or easy as could be. If this is your first time. Just take your time and study how all the parts work together and what they do as you take them apart. The first time is the slowest but the more you do it the quicker it is. I change my tires on my own with tire spoons because there is not a dealer close enough to do it and they charge RETAIL price on tires and add more for mounting them.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 03:14 PM

Does anyone happen to know the allen wrench size to remove the pinch bolts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode