cruiser vs. sport bike accidents - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

cruiser vs. sport bike accidents

hey guys........
great site glad to be on, tons of info. I know most ofyou are experienced riders and probably know the answer to this question regarding looking for the stats. But every year their are a certain amount of fatalities/serious motorcycle accidents in each state.

But I was wondering which bike are involved. I am sure the stats will show that the sport/jap bikes (higher acceleration,higher top end speed) probably take up more of the state and contribute to most of the accidents???

I wonder if their is a dmv/government motorvehicle site with yearly statistics overall but on the type of bike probably is alot harder to find thats y I rather ask you guys?????Please let me know when you get a chance. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcancruiser34 View Post
hey guys........
great site glad to be on, tons of info. I know most ofyou are experienced riders and probably know the answer to this question regarding looking for the stats. But every year their are a certain amount of fatalities/serious motorcycle accidents in each state.

But I was wondering which bike are involved. I am sure the stats will show that the sport/jap bikes (higher acceleration,higher top end speed) probably take up more of the state and contribute to most of the accidents???

I wonder if their is a dmv/government motorvehicle site with yearly statistics overall but on the type of bike probably is alot harder to find thats y I rather ask you guys?????Please let me know when you get a chance. Thank you.
I am unsure of the stats, but there are a lot of things to consider besides the acceleration and speed of a bike.

A few to consider are:
Likelyhood to wear protective equipment. I enjoy the joke about being a pirate or a power ranger. But, on the street I see a lot of cruiser riders with protection from road rash and no helmet vs the sporties wearing a helmet in their shorts and tank top.
Sporties seem to expect and use more performance from their bikes. Does this mean in a tight situation they can lean it over farther, swerve more, stop faster??? Their equipment will.
The age difference should give cruisers the mature advantage. But, how many bikes are bought to quell the midlife crisis, with little interest in learning how to ride.

It is good to be concerned about safety. But, getting on any bike is engaging in a high risk activity.
If you take your time; learn you bike, and ride within your acceptable risk level; it doesn't matter what type you ride.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

It is my understanding that most accidents are caused by inexperienced riding skills and the most prevalent accident is the inability to ride thru corners and actually riding off the road .. this can happen at any speed, while some may have the ability to run a corner at a certain speed, some may not have the skills to do the same corner at half the speed. Kinda like looking at the corner vs looking thru it at where you want to end up.... you steer where you look.

I have seen more accidents involving cruisers than i have sport bikes .... you hear more about sport bikes via the news because to be the 2nd story lead in , excessive speed has to be involved.

Quote:
It is good to be concerned about safety. But, getting on any bike is engaging in a high risk activity.
If you take your time; learn you bike, and ride within your acceptable risk level; it doesn't matter what type you ride.
well written ...

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

Last edited by whiting57; 01-20-2013 at 08:39 PM.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post

If you take your time; learn you bike, and ride within your acceptable risk level; it doesn't matter what type you ride, as long as you get the loudest pipes and brightest, blinkiest, flashiest lights you can find.

Scott
There. Fixed it for ya.

Oh yeah...I went there.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 AM

cruiser vs. sport bike accidents

don't forget the fringe !!Liked your view !!!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Braske View Post
There. Fixed it for ya.

Oh yeah...I went there.
I'm not too keen on loud pipes. But I do like lights!

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Top Contributor

I generally consider myself a motorcycling safety nut, so I watch stuff like this with interest. We read in the newspapers, see it on TV and especially on the internet on these forums, about motorcycle accidents. Let me first state, that, coming from my 30 odd years in law enforcement, that most crashes are not accidents. By definition, an accident is an occurence in which there was no prior warning of its happening, nor could anything have been done to prevent it. IOW, something unexpected and unavoidable. What I am saying is, these things, could have, for the vast majority of them, been avoided somehow. So the term "motor vehicle accident" is a misnomer. Most law enforcement agencies refer to them as "crashes" or collisions.

In examining motorcycle mishaps over the years, I constantly read that that the most common crash in an urban setting is the one in which a cage turns left in front of an oncoming motorcycle. (or other vehicle for that matter) I submit that most of these could be avoided if the rider would look well ahead of him/her i order to keep a (mostly) clear picture of their traffic environment. It is essential to "read" what other vehicles are doing or about to do. One needs to be vigilant and very defensive, and be ready to take evasive action if necessary. Statements such as, "I had to lay it down" suggest to me that the rider wasn't paying adequate attention to traffic and was looking too close in front of him/her and when things unfolded, there wasn't enough time to react properly. Or they just didn't possess the proper motorcycling skills to deal with such situations. It's called situational awareness.

Out on the road, I believe that a large majority of accidents involve a bike going off the road due to inexperience. Too many new riders get on more bike than they are capable of safely riding, and then succomb to peer pressure and ride way beyond their capability. The bike isn't to blame, it's the rider doing something they shouldn't be doing. Big bikes and new riders are a poor mix.

The last thing is the mixture of motorcycles and alcohol. I'd guess that most of us enjoy a drink or a beer or a glass of wine. But it's bad news to mix alcohol with riding. A very large number of motorcycle crashes, especially those involving fatalities, are alcohol (and sometimes drug) related. Guys, I know a cold beer on a hot day tastes good, but even one beer/drink/glass of wine can impair your ability to safely ride. Trust me, it's true. Please don't take that kind of chance, particulaly with a passenger onboard.

Keep your head up and look where you want to go instead of where you are. It's true, you go where you look on a motorcycle. Know your motorcycle thoroughly before attacking the twisties so you know how it reacts and steers in the curves. And lastly, do wear proper riding safety gear. Some of the riding gear does lack "cool," especially when riding a cruiser, but it sure beats lying in a hospital being treated for serious road rash, head injuries, etc. Ride as though something bad is about to happen and do everything you can to avoid it. Ride as if everyone but you is crazy and about to do something incredibly stupid, involving you are the only safe and sane one on the road.

"Don't sweat the small stuff---it's all small stuff"

'09 650 VStrom
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM

Garage
I was out riding the weekend, rolling down the highway. I ran up on to 3 sport bike riders. They slowed way down, so i moved to the slow lane. And next thing i see, is one of them passing me on ONE WHEEL. Now i was moving along at about 70mph as he passed me. Then i saw the ugliest thing i wanted to see, as he rolled that bike over backwards and hit the pavement. OMG watching his body bounce and roll down the highway, plastic flying everywhere. It was not pretty. He was in any gear other than a helmet. Then i got to him he was out cold, bleeding from the mouth and nose. i hope he made it ok. Last I saw of him, him headed to the hospital. I dont go the hospital.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

great feedback guys, i agree with most of the things for sure. Anybody know of a website to actually document the type of accidents and bikes involved, for real hardcore stats??? I was actually shocked that someone posted that cruisers are in more accidents but like to see the data.......

I can see turns being a huge culprits or even not stoppin well. I actually saw one in person. A ninja 600 i think or honda cbr jap bike, was doing the right thing, and another car came out and blew the stop sign and intersected him. he locked up on brakes to slow 10-15miles, but it was too late , he hit the car and flew off the bike, over the hood, actually going that slow, i was shocked, and the bike's nose got crunched into the car. so it was minor, he was ok, but now u dont have that safety u do if u were in the car with seat belts you wldnt have an abrasion in that situation , gng that slow.....!!!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcancruiser34 View Post
great feedback guys, i agree with most of the things for sure. Anybody know of a website to actually document the type of accidents and bikes involved, for real hardcore stats??? I was actually shocked that someone posted that cruisers are in more accidents but like to see the data.......

I can see turns being a huge culprits or even not stoppin well. I actually saw one in person. A ninja 600 i think or honda cbr jap bike, was doing the right thing, and another car came out and blew the stop sign and intersected him. he locked up on brakes to slow 10-15miles, but it was too late , he hit the car and flew off the bike, over the hood, actually going that slow, i was shocked, and the bike's nose got crunched into the car. so it was minor, he was ok, but now u dont have that safety u do if u were in the car with seat belts you wldnt have an abrasion in that situation , gng that slow.....!!!

14 years over the road is my stats .... in all 48 states, most squibs come up thru the cc ranks ... most cruiser riders i have met come up thru the mid life crisis ... are talked into a 800 lb bike with no experience. While this is a generalization, i see what i see.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode