Advice about crankcase breather relocation - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Advice about crankcase breather relocation

Hi all,

As a first step to do an air filter mod, I relocated the crankcase breather, I blatantly copied what Jeep Pirate did with his. I used the same sort of hose as the original and the filter is a used HD one I got cheap on Ebay but in excellent condition. The mod was easy to do.
Not being too mechanically minded (but getting there) I have questions:

I understand what this breather does but will it work ok? By having it connected in the throttle air intake box there is constant suction allowing stuff from the crankcase to escape, this new setup will rely only on a draft created by speed, nothing will happen when stopped...?

The new hose is running between the cylinders very close to the engine block
how about too much heat that could damage it?

The location of the filter fits well with the bike but any other suggestions?

Does this require the same maintenance as the air filter?

I notice that when stopped there is this new smell, a mix of gas and oil, now I understand another advantage in directing it inside the air box, especially now when commuting by over 105 F.
I guess I will get used to it...
(And yes I blocked the hole left in the air box)

Thanks for any input.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0361.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	15009  

2007 900 Classic

Mods:
Kissan signal minder
Cobra FI2000R
Kuryakin ISO grips
GiPro gear counter
No name tach.
Fiamm Air Horn
National Cycle HD windshield
Saddlemen Explorer seat
Home made backrest
Vance & Hines pipes
Stator replaced: yes, once at 28k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Hi all,

As a first step to do an air filter mod, I relocated the crankcase breather, I blatantly copied what Jeep Pirate did with his. I used the same sort of hose as the original and the filter is a used HD one I got cheap on Ebay but in excellent condition. The mod was easy to do.
Not being too mechanically minded (but getting there) I have questions:

I understand what this breather does but will it work ok? By having it connected in the throttle air intake box there is constant suction allowing stuff from the crankcase to escape, this new setup will rely only on a draft created by speed, nothing will happen when stopped...?

The new hose is running between the cylinders very close to the engine block
how about too much heat that could damage it?

The location of the filter fits well with the bike but any other suggestions?

Does this require the same maintenance as the air filter?

I notice that when stopped there is this new smell, a mix of gas and oil, now I understand another advantage in directing it inside the air box, especially now when commuting by over 105 F.
I guess I will get used to it...
(And yes I blocked the hole left in the air box)

Thanks for any input.
Cheers
What is the routing of your breather hose before it gets to the pic you posted? If you simply routed it around the front cylinder then you will be subject to vapor condensate contaminating your filter AND the smell you described. The safest way to route your breather hose is to extend it up to the backbone of the frame, under the tank, then route it to the bottom of the bike. Any condensate that is pushed up the breather hose by the pressure in the engine case will run back when the engine is turned off. You can remove your filter and fire up the engine to feel the pulses coming thru the hose.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
What is the routing of your breather hose before it gets to the pic you posted? If you simply routed it around the front cylinder then you will be subject to vapor condensate contaminating your filter AND the smell you described. The safest way to route your breather hose is to extend it up to the backbone of the frame, under the tank, then route it to the bottom of the bike. Any condensate that is pushed up the breather hose by the pressure in the engine case will run back when the engine is turned off. You can remove your filter and fire up the engine to feel the pulses coming thru the hose.
Ok, so, not so very good hey...As I said, it is a learning curve for me.
Yes, you are right, I simply routed it between the cylinders and around the front.
The way you describe is to run toward the back of the bike up, and then down, which would eliminate the smell, the problem will be to find a way to anchor the filter bracket somewhere...
Working on it, thanks Sojourner.

2007 900 Classic

Mods:
Kissan signal minder
Cobra FI2000R
Kuryakin ISO grips
GiPro gear counter
No name tach.
Fiamm Air Horn
National Cycle HD windshield
Saddlemen Explorer seat
Home made backrest
Vance & Hines pipes
Stator replaced: yes, once at 28k

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Ok, so, not so very good hey...As I said, it is a learning curve for me.
Yes, you are right, I simply routed it between the cylinders and around the front.
The way you describe is to run toward the back of the bike up, and then down, which would eliminate the smell, the problem will be to find a way to anchor the filter bracket somewhere...
Working on it, thanks Sojourner.
Your filter is optional. Whenever the engine is running there will always be positive pressure in the bottom half of the engine case. The biggest fear is the vent hose becomes plugged up. Then you stand the chance of blowing out one or more of the seals and ending up with a mess on your hands, or should I say on the garage floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode