Help - Starting Trouble - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Help - Starting Trouble

Hello All,

Bought the bike in last september from US and got delivered last week (UAE). I've already changed the battery with a brand new Yuasa 12-BS as this is considered to be the best in town (FYI, the one which was on the bike was a chinese made "bike master" brand) and done almost 100kms so far. But suddely today the bike dont start. When i put the key to "on" position it is showing red LED on oil alram, then when i put the red button to on position and press then start it just gives a "grrrrrr" sound and thaz it. No progress further. Also it gives a Fuel Injection red LED "on" along with the oil LED while i press the start button (the black one). I've already tried tightening the battering lead's screws and scratching the contacts to get better contact. But still no impovement.

Guys pealse help me in the right direction. Consider i am totally illeterate in such issues as i dont have much bike expreriance.

thanks,

cv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Top Contributor

What is the year and mileage?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Are you sure it is a good battery? Have you tried charging the battery

2006 900 LT

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here is another Hobby of mine model boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM

Since he's stated that he put in a "brand new Yuasa" it may not be thst but then again we don't know if it was brought wet or dry?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

My stepping stone to what I'm riding now.
Suzuki GSX250 '82
Suzuki GSX-R600 '00
Vulcan VN1600 Classic '06
Fitted: tachometer, genuine windshield, K Drive hard bags, upgraded Meanstreak clutch spring with Judges washers, Cobra Speedster Longshots, Dobeck TFI controller, Chucksters air filter plate, Mustang seats with drivers backrest.

Up coming items: volt meter, oil and temp gauges.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Top Contributor

100km. on a new battery might be about right if the charging system has failed.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

This is 2006 900LT with 11K miles. Yes when I bought the battery,i found the battery and the battery water seperately, in followed the instruction from the factory. I did everything as mentioned in the write-up, except one things that after filling the battery water i kept those holes almost for 30 mnts as advised by the shop guy for better life.

Guys i did anything wrong?

What about the oil warning LED, the will not start if that thingis on?

Please help, because the local kawasaki guys are real stealers! I bought the battery at 75% of the stealres offer

thanks

cv
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicvulcan View Post
This is 2006 900LT with 11K miles. Yes when I bought the battery,i found the battery and the battery water seperately, in followed the instruction from the factory. I did everything as mentioned in the write-up, except one things that after filling the battery water i kept those holes almost for 30 mnts as advised by the shop guy for better life.

Guys i did anything wrong?

What about the oil warning LED, the will not start if that thingis on?

Please help, because the local kawasaki guys are real stealers! I bought the battery at 75% of the stealres offer

thanks

cv
Don't worry about the oil warning light. It will be lit as long as the engine is not running. Once you fire it up the red light will go out. Now for your new battery. Your new battery should have come with it's own battery fluid in a separate container that is specific for your battery. Is that what happened or did you buy the battery acid that was in someone's bucket or bottle? Regardless, the battery needed to be charged over night using a trickle charger or a smart charger. Simply starting the bike and running it for a while won't cut it. Try charging the battery on low amps and see if it will hold a charge. My experience here has been not to use the acid the shops have for their car batteries.
When you get it running you will need to verify the charging system is working properly. Find a friend that has a volt-ohm meter and knows how to use it. With the engine at a moderate RPM the meter should read somewhere around 14-14.5 VDC.

Last edited by Sojourner; 01-05-2013 at 10:42 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Sojourner,

Actually i did add the same battery water supplied by Yuasa and followed all the instruction from them.
And I just forgot to tell you one important thing, i've got passing lamps. I know that the battery is rated for 10A. I had my ignition key on and my passing lamps "on" without having the engine started almost for 10mnts before i came across with this issue. So does it mean that battery got discharged completely due to that?
If so can i try recharging the battery with some other means or it is just a useless piece on my bike which i should throw away. (dont tell me that i just paid a 100$ a week ago for that thing).

BTW what is the current rating of the battery for you guys with an additional passing lamp setup(i mean which is not a OEM designed or fitted item)?

thanks,

cv
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:58 AM

DO NOT JUMP START THE BIKE FROM A CAR BATTERY............
Unless you want more problems like blown fuses and other electronic parts.......

My stepping stone to what I'm riding now.
Suzuki GSX250 '82
Suzuki GSX-R600 '00
Vulcan VN1600 Classic '06
Fitted: tachometer, genuine windshield, K Drive hard bags, upgraded Meanstreak clutch spring with Judges washers, Cobra Speedster Longshots, Dobeck TFI controller, Chucksters air filter plate, Mustang seats with drivers backrest.

Up coming items: volt meter, oil and temp gauges.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Busboy thanks,

so what is the max current rating i can go with to jump start my 10A battery?

any idea

thanks

cv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode