fork stretching acceleration? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

fork stretching acceleration?

So... I guess I have to thank the ignorance of youth for the recent "made me grin from ear to ear" experience, but it stirs a question as well.

Yesterday during lunch, while sitting at a light near work, a kid in a Honda Accord decided he wanted to test my mettle, so he's revving and rolling back and forth and such, so... might as well, right? It's obvious the kid just doesn't know, so I might as well educate him to the virtue of horse to weight ratios. I really wanted to educate him well, so for the first time since buying the bike on 4/24, I let it all out.

Needless to say, he heard me laugh through his open windows as I slowed for my intended turn after a thrilling 0-60 cruiser style, and I'm willing to bet he doesn't challenge any more bikes unless he enjoys rumbles and tail lights, but...

I could swear it felt like my 900 almost lifted the front wheel a bit in the transition from 1st to 2nd, and still stretched the forks again between 2nd and 3rd. Is it capable of lifting the front a few inches? I honestly didn't think so, but then again, I hadn't ever opened it up like that before either. It's stock, other than the drilled baffles, so no performance mods... and I know it's not anywhere near some of the sport bikes out there, but WOW, it still put a euphoric smile on my face!

Opinions, experiences, thoughts, facts?

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Top Contributor

This post put a smile on my face. About two weeks ago, I was drinking some coffee at the local shop and a fella came over who owned a 1500. He was admiring my bike and asked me what I thought of the power. I replied that it seemed to carry me around adequately. He laughed and said" those 900's blow my 1500 away".....he then told me a story about his friend buying a 900 and how he teased him for getting a "small bike"....anyways, they frequently go riding together and he said the 900 "walks all over" his 1500. I would have never believed it, but, this came from the "horses mouth".
It seems these "little" 900's pack quite a punch.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketso View Post
So... I guess I have to thank the ignorance of youth for the recent "made me grin from ear to ear" experience, but it stirs a question as well.

Yesterday during lunch, while sitting at a light near work, a kid in a Honda Accord decided he wanted to test my mettle, so he's revving and rolling back and forth and such, so... might as well, right? It's obvious the kid just doesn't know, so I might as well educate him to the virtue of horse to weight ratios. I really wanted to educate him well, so for the first time since buying the bike on 4/24, I let it all out.

Needless to say, he heard me laugh through his open windows as I slowed for my intended turn after a thrilling 0-60 cruiser style, and I'm willing to bet he doesn't challenge any more bikes unless he enjoys rumbles and tail lights, but...

I could swear it felt like my 900 almost lifted the front wheel a bit in the transition from 1st to 2nd, and still stretched the forks again between 2nd and 3rd. Is it capable of lifting the front a few inches? I honestly didn't think so, but then again, I hadn't ever opened it up like that before either. It's stock, other than the drilled baffles, so no performance mods... and I know it's not anywhere near some of the sport bikes out there, but WOW, it still put a euphoric smile on my face!

Opinions, experiences, thoughts, facts?
Not sure about the 900 but I did have a 1995 Vulcan 800a that would pull the front wheel at take off and when shifting hard to 2nd... found that out showing off for a soldier home from Iraq who wanted to see me get on it. After that I left a Mustang Cobra in my exhaust when a young guy was doing the same revving at a light... the next stop he yelled to ask me what I had in that bike.... I just laughed my wife thought I was crazy for racing which is not something I do very often.

~Mark

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:07 PM

There is a YouTube vid of a guy pulling a wheelie on a 900. I think...or it could have been a Victory Vegas, when I was obsessed with those. I will go look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsGjGn0sND8

2009 Vulcan 900 SE

Last edited by CdnVulcanGuy; 07-15-2009 at 01:11 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicmanM58 View Post
Not sure about the 900 but I did have a 1995 Vulcan 800a that would pull the front wheel at take off and when shifting hard to 2nd... found that out showing off for a soldier home from Iraq who wanted to see me get on it. After that I left a Mustang Cobra in my exhaust when a young guy was doing the same revving at a light... the next stop he yelled to ask me what I had in that bike.... I just laughed my wife thought I was crazy for racing which is not something I do very often.
Yeah, I'm not one prone to fits of speed except at random times... I'm more of a low and slow "envy me and my relaxation" sort of driver, makin' noise but enjoying the scenery, but it's nice to know the goose is there if I need it, eh?

(...and to settle the occasional froggy youngster )

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Top Contributor

Okay, a year ago I bought my Vulcan 900 Classic (June 2008). I had never owned a bike before but I did take the rider's safety class and stay in a Holiday Inn Express the night before. A few days into joyfull ownership and being pretty well scared the whole time I was riding, I come to an stop sign at an X intersection with a gas station in one corner. As I go to ease through the intersection some kid in a rice burning pavement scraper peals out of the gas station headed straight toward me. Needless to say I did not stay calm, I panicked! I dumped the clutch burning a bit of rubber and was still so freaked that I dumped it again at full throttle going into second. When my front tire finally came down I was ready to sell the bike. Luckily, my normal Zen attitude finally returned and I still own my sweet little sleeper. Although my biker buddies started calling me Showboat after that.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 10:11 PM

ANYTHING can be made to bring the front end up. I watched my brother prove to my step-dad that his 1300 venture Royale (probably about an early 90's) would lift.
blew both fork seals coming back down, but he stood'r darn near straight up thru 4 gears. i was impressed, as well as shocked.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 04:54 AM

I drag robot to robot at least once a week i live in South Africa with no real law enforcement to speak of on the roads YET.
The buggers just don't do their work, so i get to test the vn against many cars and have yet to find one that will pull it light to light
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Top Contributor

Slash,
You complain about the lack of accessories available in S.Africa, but then tell us that you get to drag down the streets of town. I guess you got to take the good with the bad. Keep teaching those rice burners about power to weight ratios. And for God sake, keep the shiny side up! It is so hard to enjoy a victory when you have road rash and your bike is on fire.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 03:20 AM

Dude i may not be able to but accesories so i just make them HAHA.
Yeah i get you, i think our lifestyles are vastly different, on the roads over here it's basically each one for himself and to hell with anyone else.
I mean a stop sign over here seems like a suggestion, i stop at stop signs ALWAYS and get hooted at for causing a delay??????? HUH
So now i make a point of forcing the guy behind me to stop.
Also violence on our roads is pretty normal, we live in a multi cultural country and nobody seems to tolerate the next bloke overly well.
Most bikers go armed, although there does seem to be a change afoot.
As for speed 320kph on a national road happens almost everyday somewhere.
As insane as it sounds i have been responsible for 296kph form my home town to the next one 30km away. It's one of the reasons i changed to a cruiser i think it was just a matter of time before i killed myself, as it is i have been quite seriously injured a few times now.
So here's to change HAHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode