Do I truly need a fuel management system? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Do I truly need a fuel management system?

Hello all,
I installed a HardKrome Sideburner pipe early in the spring.
On a cold start the bike did pop a little during fast idle, and would pop on decel, but i could live with it for a bit.
Now the bike is put up for the winter and i recently installed Baron's big air kit, along with the wire marrett(marble trick).
When i started the bike , i noticed that it seemed to sound smoother, no steady popping as it was before.
So now i have a few questions:
1.Do i really need a fuel management system?
2.Is the marble trick neccessary if i do get a fuel management system?
3.Is the throttle plate mod truly worth its time and effort?
Thanks in advance for any input!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 AM

Garage
Where abouts in Ontario are you? I'm in downtown Toronto. There's quite a few threads in this forum on fuel management and worth the search if you are considering buying one. The general concensus is that you need one if you add an aftermarket air intake but not necessarily if you just change the exhaust. I found when I switched to V&H staggered slashcuts that I had considerable popping on decel. A Power Comander III cut the popping down about 50%. Marbling cut it back again significantly but I still get a little. I've got the Cobra PowerFlo air intake and the Cobra Fi2000 PowerPro on my wish list.

2010 Classic LT
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Top Contributor

Dyno run with an exhaust gas analyzer is the only way to see where your present state of tune is sitting. No guesswork involved.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachU View Post
Hello all,
I installed a HardKrome Sideburner pipe early in the spring.
On a cold start the bike did pop a little during fast idle, and would pop on decel, but i could live with it for a bit.
Now the bike is put up for the winter and i recently installed Baron's big air kit, along with the wire marrett(marble trick).
When i started the bike , i noticed that it seemed to sound smoother, no steady popping as it was before.
So now i have a few questions:
1.Do i really need a fuel management system?
2.Is the marble trick neccessary if i do get a fuel management system?
3.Is the throttle plate mod truly worth its time and effort?
Thanks in advance for any input!.
You have to answer the question, did you install the pipes and air kit for looks or for performance? If performance is one of the answers then a quality fuel processor is the logical next step. If you go with the PCV alone, then as sfair posts, dyno the bike at a shop that has top flight equipment and qualified technicians. If that's not possible then go with the Autotune from Dynojet on top of your PCV or buy the Cobra Powrpro 2000. Both setups adjust the fuel on the fly. If you remove the secondary throttle plates, I guarantee you will want a fuel processor. I run the PCV with Autotune on my Vulcan and the Cobra Powrpro on my VTX1800. I'm quite satisfied with both. The Powrpro is definitely easier to install.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Collinba, i am north of Kingston.

Sojourner,i installed the pipes for sound first,looks second, but i installed the Barons air kit purely for looks.
What makes you so sure that i will definatley want a fuel management system if i remove the throttle plate?, please explain.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Collinba, i am north of Kingston.

Sojourner,i installed the pipes for sound first,looks second, but i installed the Barons air kit purely for looks.
What makes you so sure that i will definatley want a fuel management system if i remove the throttle plate?, please explain.
The secondary throttle plates are motor driven. They are designed to act like a CV carburetor operates which is, even though you crank open the primary throttle quickly it's vacuum that operates the diaphragm which opens the way for air and fuel to enter the engine. It smooths out the operation of the street engine at the cost of instant performance. Great for the street but not for quick acceleration. In our case the ECU controls the motor that opens the secondary throttle plates and does so more slowly than your right wrist. By removing the plates the additional air to the engine is immediate but the ECU is controlling the fuel to the injector body (map) and still thinks the secondary throttle plates are there restricting the air. As a result the engine will go flat until the ECU allows the injectors to catch up with the primary throttle position. With a fuel manager, you can map your way around the flat spot, or simply let the Autotune or Powrpro do the adjusting on the fly.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for breaking that down for me , but will it still be necessary to use the marble trick or should I take it out when I do install a programmer?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Thanks for breaking that down for me , but will it still be necessary to use the marble trick or should I take it out when I do install a programmer?
Do the marble regardless. unless you're a tree hugger and can't stand the thought of sending a trace of unburned gas out the pipes. To me it's a trade off because noise pollution is being eliminated at the cost of a few fumes finding their way out of your engine. You'll also find that when you let off the throttle, by going to full zero throttle and not trailing your throttle, a lot of the decel popping is eliminated. The fuel manager can be adjusted to richen the lower throttle position range, from 1500 RPM up to redline to eliminate the decel popping too. A richer zero throttle will cause the unburned gasses to be too cool to reignite when coming in contact with fresh air. Keep in mind your new pipes are sucking fresh air back up the pipe after every exhaust pulse from the engine.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
+1 on all the great info. I have all the listed mods, and all I can say is wow, I am so pleased with all the mods. I was out today and snapping open the throttle the bike just takes off down the highway. I highly recommend for performance.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like im gonna have to start collecting bottles along the road side for cash, cause its hard to find a good deal on an auto-tune unit. LOL

Thats for all the input, its certainly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode