Cutting down a Memphis Shades windshield? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Cutting down a Memphis Shades windshield?

I bought my windshield the day I bought my bike. Since I was not an experienced rider before, I asked for the dealer's suggestion on what size. They did their best and I do not hold them at fault. We ordered a 17" tall Memphis Slim. A few months in I realized I would have prefered a 15" tall Memphis Fat. The edge of the 17 is right in my line of sight.

I am looking at cutting the one I have back about 2"-3". A lady at the local bike shop said she had done this. She made a template of the original shape with a piece of thin cardboard. Slid it down 2" and made her mark on painters tape she had put on the shield to protect it. She cut it with a fine tooth jig-saw and then flame licked the edge with a propane torch to finish the rough edge. She swears it worked like a charm, but I haven't actually laid eyes on here handywork.

Has anyone else done this or seen it done? Afraid to ruin a $150 shield, but would love for mine to be shorter. I can't see buying a new 15" Fats when this one is still new. Anyone want to trade? Or maybe someone has a cheap 15" Fats. Please comment away!

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 01:00 PM

Garage
Her technique is correct, and works well, if you take your time. You can also go buy a new piece of lexan and use the current windshield as a template. Match the holes up and then add or take-away what you want. This way, you can keep the original as a backup, or ebay it.

'08 VULCAN 900 Custom
GenMar Risers
Mustang 2 Up Seat / Mustang Tank Cover
Cobra Back Rest w/ Plate
Cobra Luggage Rack
Willie & Max Revolution Bags
Memphis Shades Windshield
Kuryakyn Iso Grips w/ Throttle Boss
Smoked Signals
Dually Rear Pegs
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 02:35 PM

Took mine to the local glass company and they cut it down and beveled the edge for $25. Did a nice job.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Top Contributor

Send a message via AIM to doughrek
Theres a guy around here and on ebay who does windshield modifications. [email protected] He can make you a new one, cut down, or reshape the one you have now.. Tell him Derek referred you.

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom.

Couple of accessories.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 06:06 PM

Or you could sell the 17 and buy a 15. I think you can buy just the replacement plastic part for$75.

2007 Vulcan Classic
Memphis shades Fats windshield with trigger release
Kuryakyn iso grips with throttle boss
Saddleman Drifter Slant Jumbo bags
MC engine guard
Scootworks front overdrive pulley
Clear lenses, amber bulbs
Homemade Trailer
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 PM

I've cut down a couple windshields. works like a charm. tape both sides, use a fine-tooth blade in a jigsaw, just like she said. although i didnt use the propane torch method. I just used , I think it was 800grit emry paper. left a very nice edge. couldnt even tell they were cut down.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:57 AM
Top Contributor

Jigsaw, light sanding, and handheld propane torch will do a very nice job. The torch, used gently, will leave a smooth glass-like finish.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slpr61 View Post
I've cut down a couple windshields. works like a charm. tape both sides, use a fine-tooth blade in a jigsaw, just like she said. although i didnt use the propane torch method. I just used , I think it was 800grit emry paper. left a very nice edge. couldnt even tell they were cut down.

I did the same thing on my Kawa stock windshield, with the sandpaper. I didn't have the propane torch. I'm sure the torch saves some time compared to sanding. The only person that can tell, besides me, is the friend that helped me do the work. The measuring and lining everything up was the hard part. Cutting was easy. Make sure you make a test cut above your intended line first. This will give you the feel for it. Sanded down everything when complete, then used some plastic restorer for the edges to make them look smooth. I can see over the windshield now and I don't get the buffeting like I had before. Nice!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Pirate View Post
I bought my windshield the day I bought my bike. Since I was not an experienced rider before, I asked for the dealer's suggestion on what size. They did their best and I do not hold them at fault. We ordered a 17" tall Memphis Slim. A few months in I realized I would have prefered a 15" tall Memphis Fat. The edge of the 17 is right in my line of sight.

I am looking at cutting the one I have back about 2"-3". A lady at the local bike shop said she had done this. She made a template of the original shape with a piece of thin cardboard. Slid it down 2" and made her mark on painters tape she had put on the shield to protect it. She cut it with a fine tooth jig-saw and then flame licked the edge with a propane torch to finish the rough edge. She swears it worked like a charm, but I haven't actually laid eyes on here handywork.

Has anyone else done this or seen it done? Afraid to ruin a $150 shield, but would love for mine to be shorter. I can't see buying a new 15" Fats when this one is still new. Anyone want to trade? Or maybe someone has a cheap 15" Fats. Please comment away!

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? I am 5'11" and am having a hard time deciding between a 15" and a 17"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaThGr82 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? I am 5'11" and am having a hard time deciding between a 15" and a 17"
I am 5' 10". I think the 15" would be better for you. I also recommend the Fats shield. It will protect you more in the cold and I think the Slims looks a little too slim. My opinion, but I am the only one who has to like it anyway.

I hope this helps.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode