Worn out kickstand! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Worn out kickstand!

Is this common? Stand would sag to the point of engaging the stand switch which shuts down the engine when in gear. The bolt was worn way down. The stand was worn down on the inside. Even the frame tab was worn off really bad. Took everything apart. Welded up all effected parts and reground them to proper tolerances and reassembled them with a good amount of marine grade heavy grease and a new bolt and lock nut. Took about 45 minutes to fix but the whole time I was wondering what others who don't have the tools to work with do. I would hate to think what a dealer would do.

BTW this is an 07 that had 13,000 on it when I got it. I put over 4,000 on it in less than 8 weeks so I may well never have this problem again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
That's wild. Mine has 20,000 on it and the kickstand works like new. Spray a little grease in there once in a while. Still pops back up into place!

Is it possible yours got damaged somehow, rather than worn?

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

No damage. Just literally worn out. Even the bolt hole was elongated half again more than normal.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
No damage. Just literally worn out. Even the bolt hole was elongated half again more than normal.
Strictly lack of lube, I would suspect. Keep the pressure washer away from there too.

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
Strictly lack of lube, I would suspect. Keep the pressure washer away from there too.
Just curious, but what all should be lubed? I hit it with a shot of grease when it doesn't "spring into action", anything else? I just spray it I don't take anything apart or anything.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
No grease, Loose hardware, lots of vibration !

CRUISER
DON RUSSELL
Aspire Machining
'97 VN1500 91 Cubes Of Custom CLASSIC
original owner
Vance & Hine 2to1
engine, forks, ignition & carb mod's
WebCam cam & rockers hard weld & grind
NEW TOP END, NO LOOKS ALL GO GO
Maxx intake manifold system & super G carb 44mm
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Top Contributor

When servicing my '07 900 I oil the stand pivot bolt area and work the oil into the bolt, wiping off the excess, and apply grease to the spring ends at their attachment points. Everything still works as when new.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

In retrospect this is a rather common issue and not just with 900s or even Kawasaki but with a lot of different bikes. Found old threads on this very forum dealing with this same subject. Seems to be common practice to drill the tab oversize and sleeve a new bolt. Sounds like a Mickey Mouse way to fix a symptom to me rather than fix the whole problem. I would suggest everyone pick up an aerosol can of marine grade lithium (or the lube of their choice) and give the stand a shot anytime they think about it just to avoid future problems.

Pacomutt mentions not to use a pressure washer. Good Lord! I can't imagine the effects of that but I'm willing to bet the kickstand would be the least of your worries after that.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
In retrospect this is a rather common issue and not just with 900s or even Kawasaki but with a lot of different bikes. Found old threads on this very forum dealing with this same subject. Seems to be common practice to drill the tab oversize and sleeve a new bolt. Sounds like a Mickey Mouse way to fix a symptom to me rather than fix the whole problem. I would suggest everyone pick up an aerosol can of marine grade lithium (or the lube of their choice) and give the stand a shot anytime they think about it just to avoid future problems.

Pacomutt mentions not to use a pressure washer. Good Lord! I can't imagine the effects of that but I'm willing to bet the kickstand would be the least of your worries after that.
Hey there! I just finished reading through and believe i might be having the same issue.

I am not a welder but i have a buddy who has a machine shop. Do you think its wise to take it to a dealer to have the repair made or should i see if my buddy can make the repairs?

I have tools just not a welder...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Top Contributor

Interesting! I have 45,000 miles on my ride and no problems. Since the Drifter uses a Classic frame for the most part, I hind this curious.

Philip
BOTM Winner, February 2010, December 2012, August 2014
Third Place BOTY 2012
Third Place BOTY 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode