Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Front tire alternative

4K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Josparky 
#1 ·
With all the 900 classics sold over the years. Is there not one person who has found another front tire the same size that will fit the 900 classic that is a mag wheel. I am tired of the tubes. Please if anyone has figured this out or done it please let me know what kind of bike tire will fit. It is rediculus to have to pay over a $1000 for a mag wheel.

#2 ·
Assuming that you have the OEM spoked front Classic LT front wheel, there have been riders who have sealed the holes in the rim where the spokes are, but reportedly with varying degrees of success. Otherwise unless you buy a mag wheel (maybe some non-OEM sources have less expensive ones available) you are stuck along with most the rest of us Classic LT riders in having to use tubes with tires.

#11 ·
That makes sense. My early days I always had bikes with spokes, but never rode very far from home (didn't know anyone else who rode back then). I didn't start riding distances until 07 when I bought my 900 Custom. So for the past 12 years I've gone tubeless.

As to your original question: I've seen the question come up several times since I joined in 2010, but the only thing I've seen used are the pricey wheels you're trying to avoid.

Interesting side note: I have a tire plug kit in my saddle bags but nothing to pump air with. Go figure!

#6 ·
For one, I wouldn't ride a motorcycle with a plugged tire unless is was an emergency, but that's me.

If you're tired of flats, you need to find what's causing your tube failure. Are you picking up nails or other debris while riding? I have never owned a street bike with tubes, but in all the years I have been riding dirt bikes, through the rocky trails, over jumps, etc, I've had one flat from a construction staple.

#7 ·
If you read my post you would have seen that emergency is the whole purpose. When your 100s of mile away from anything else and have a flat you need a way to get back to somewhere without having to pay a tow bill that cost 100s of Dollars. I got one think this day and time it is stupid for any tire to have a tube on a motorcycle still. I don't understand forums so many people want to voice there opinions but you hardly ever get a real answer. I guess that's why most people leave a lot of forums because they just can't get a straight answer from a simple question. I thank all the ones that have tried to give a straight answer to me. I just find it hard to believe that someone hasn't found a solution for the front wheel without having to pay 1000s of dollars.

#8 ·
In the last 20 years of riding a street bike, I have never had a flat, and yes there were times where I was miles from from what one could consider a town. Maybe it's the difference in roads from here to there, maybe it's sheer luck. Either way don't get in a twist because someone doesn't spoon feed you all the info you need in the span of 2 days.

Outside of having a custom wheel built, you need to find a suitable donor. This requires some legwork on someone's part. If it comes from another Kawasaki or another manufacturer, it won't matter. There are things to consider, hub width, hub and bearing ID, brake rotor and caliper operation and clearance, overall style, etc. I've seen this done on other bikes, in fact there was someone on here the other day doing a bagger conversion using a huge 26" or 28" wheel made for a Harley. It sounds like you are looking for something plug-n-play and it might exist, or it might not. Take some dimensions on your current wheel and start hitting salvage yards or start looking at part drawings to find what will work.

#9 ·
I am not the one in a twist. It is the ones making remarks that there is no need for that are in a twist lol. If asking for unsarcastic remarks to a question seems I am in a twist then maybe reread the whole post. I have done months of research before ever posting anything. As far as your good luck on not having a flat that is great some are not so lucky though and be very great full that you haven't cause when you do you will eat those words when your stranded and can't get help. I hope for your sake you stay lucky. I asked a simple question if someone had tried a tire as to hopefully find someone that had. That is not asking to be spoon-fed that is doing further research the smart way. Sorry some can't seem to understand that and have time to crisis others. That's why most good people stay off forums. Always the ones with plenty of time to argue with the questions.

#10 ·
What is the ID between your forks? I have a VN900C and a lot of the space is taken up by distance collars. I will measure mine and send a picture up here sometime later today.

Any wheel that you would use will have to have collars made for it, and the same collars made for brake spacing. Other than height (diameter) that is really all there is to it.

To get wild... going to an olins front suspension, you can change out the entire front-end to get different forks along with mag wheels.

#12 · (Edited)
For a plug and play solution that requires no engineering you can swap a VN900C front wheel right onto your Classic. Even your brakes will fit.

The parts are the same. Even the same part numbers for a classic and a Custom. Notice on the parts diagram that the part measurements are given as well. As for the dimension of the width of the hub, I measured mine to 110mm. That is not accurate and only a ballpark. To be accurate I would have to take the front wheel off, as would you, to get a used mag wheel other than the one that comes off a VN900C.

Text Font Line Diagram Auto part

Text Bicycle part Rim Line Font

For a used 21" wheel check Pinwall Cycle @ https://pinwallcycle.com/

For a tire... your favorite brand goes here.

#14 ·
For a plug and play solution that requires no engineering you can swap a VN900C front wheel right onto your Classic. Even your brakes will fit.

The parts are the same. Even the same part numbers for a classic and a Custom. Notice on the parts diagram that the part measurements are given as well. As for the dimension of the width of the hub, I measured mine to 110mm. That is not accurate and only a ballpark. To be accurate I would have to take the front wheel off, as would you, to get a used mag wheel other than the one that comes off a VN900C.

View attachment 230950

View attachment 230952

For a used 21" wheel check Pinwall Cycle @ https://pinwallcycle.com/

For a tire... your favorite brand goes here.
Here is the wheel I was looking at the parts diagram seems it would work I think it has the same part numbers also. I would just have to leave the right side brake disc off as I believe that one had one brake on each side of the wheel. What do you think.
https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b27d7f8700223e479267d/front-wheel

#13 ·
Thanks guys for the replys I am aware of the custom wheel fitting but the fender will have to be removed. I was just hoping someone had found a wheel from another bike that was the same size that would work. I have already bought a rear wheel off eBay from a custom.

#20 ·
... I have already bought a rear wheel off eBay from a custom.

Umm!
That's very interesting. How do you plug a tire with a tube in it?
I'm not aware of any device. Please enlighten me.
Thanks
C'mon folks... pay attention. He already has a mag wheel on the rear. You were talking about a mag wheel in your previous post and having it taken off and etc, etc...

You don't have to take the mag wheel off to plug the thing...

#15 ·
Josparky
I share your concern regarding a flat with a tubed tire.
In all my years of riding, admittedly,I have only had one puncture and that was on a tubeless tire. It was on my Honda 900 Custom and I was fortunate enough to pull over and with simple tools in the Honda tool kit, remove the rear wheel in short order I hitched a ride to the nearest m/c shop and had it plugged.
As I often travel 10 hour days on vacation, many on low volume roads, I am concerned about getting a flat on my 900lt and that's why I have "roadside assistance" for extended towing services.
Nevertheless, a mag. wheel would bring a little reassurance. I don't believe removing the rear wheel on a 900lt is a 20 minute job on the roadside!

#18 ·
It's not possible to plug a tire with a tube in it, as far as I am aware. Some riders with tubed tires including me carry a can of flat repair plus tire inflation by which one inserts sealant into the flat via the valve stem and has enough pressurised air to re-inflate the tire (hopefully!). Don't know how well this works but it's the only on-the-road flat repair for tubed tires that I am aware of.

#19 ·
I have been riding 20 years off road mostly and only encountered 1 flat front - a rivet right smack in the middle and killed it in 60 seconds. I've had a dozen flat rears. I wouldn't worry so much about the front as most weight is on the rear, which probably gives more impetus for sharp objects poking the whole way through. Low pressures in the wet is the best way to ruin your day.

#21 ·
Crispin78 yep that exactly what my mechanic told me also. He said not to worry about the front. So maybe I will just live with it. Have the rear mag from the custom so if I can't figure an easy cheap way out for the front will probably just deal with the ride in it as I honestly could probably change it on the side of the road if I really had too. Wouldn't be fun but could be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.