bike boggs out passed 1/4 throttle - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

bike boggs out passed 1/4 throttle

I have a 09 kawasaki vulcan 900 i can't throttle it passed 1/4 throttle if i do it just boggs out like it ant getting enough gas has anyone else experienced this type of problem or if someone could point me in the right direction to what might be causing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:21 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Sparkle Black and Titanium
Garage
Have you checked for rust or other contamination in the fuel tank?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 07:29 AM

Color: Red
Garage
Also worth checking your battery, as a weak battery will cause the bike to behave as described.

Gone are the days we stop to decide where we should go, we just ride.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:10 PM

Just got a used 09 with the same issue, it was the fuel pump, my 4th Vulcan. I would check fuel pressure.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:51 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
Color: Black
Just had the same problem. Weak batter caused a issue which progressed to damage the fuel pump. Rebuilt the fuel pump with a quantum fuel systems kit (pump is defiantly louder then stock but works) and the issue was better but not completely resolved. Yesterday I disconnected the fuel vent hose and the problem got even better almost perfect but at full throttle she is slow to gain speed. Could this just be the after market fuel pump?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydeocean View Post
Just had the same problem. Weak batter caused a issue which progressed to damage the fuel pump. Rebuilt the fuel pump with a quantum fuel systems kit (pump is defiantly louder then stock but works) and the issue was better but not completely resolved. Yesterday I disconnected the fuel vent hose and the problem got even better almost perfect but at full throttle she is slow to gain speed. Could this just be the after market fuel pump?

my kit came with 2 new filters mine was bad, appeared almost plugged. Did you replace that too? I will admit i have only got to ride mine little and I am not a hot rodder so it's seldom I crank it hard but since my pump it's back to 100% as far as I can tell. I was very surprised at the filter as I work on old cars and get some that the fuel tank pickup sock has never been changed and they clean as a whistle after years and the bike I have has 10,000 on it so its not high millage or old but it was very plugged. Makes me rethink where i get my gas, or if i should be removing the tank and cleaning every year or tow.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clok1966 View Post
my kit came with 2 new filters mine was bad, appeared almost plugged. Did you replace that too? I will admit i have only got to ride mine little and I am not a hot rodder so it's seldom I crank it hard but since my pump it's back to 100% as far as I can tell. I was very surprised at the filter as I work on old cars and get some that the fuel tank pickup sock has never been changed and they clean as a whistle after years and the bike I have has 10,000 on it so its not high millage or old but it was very plugged. Makes me rethink where i get my gas, or if i should be removing the tank and cleaning every year or tow.
yup, changed the filter. It really happens at higher speeds. lets say I'm going 50 Mi/Hr and need to get to 65 real quick to pass someone I nail down the throttle and she bogs for half a sec and then slowly gains speed. I notice it more since I live on Long Island NY where there is a decent amount of traffic so there are a decent amount of circumstances where I really hit it to try and seperat myself from traffic. its almost like the pump is playing catch up with the demand for fuel.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:34 PM

I have a update. Just took her out for a 33 mile ride. she was running okay, enough power to sufficiently reach 70-80 then by mile 23 I believe she started really acting up on the highway bogging down to 55-60 no power what so ever. I was able to fix this for a couple of minutes by switching off ignition and advancing the throttle all the way then switching on the ignition holding the throttle trying to start the bike by using my speed(every time I tried did not work) pulling clutch back in and using the starter to start the bike back up. After getting to my destination I let her sit for 5min and started her back up and she worked okay as when i first started the ride. Bogging at full throttle and then once I get to around 1/2 throttle a rush of power. Should I see if i can get another pump?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:37 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Color: Sparkle Black and Titanium
Garage
Tydeocean, what you are experiencing may be related to debris in the fuel tank. This would happen when after you start the bike, the filter would slowly start to accumulate debris until it becomes so choked the bike starts to bog down. After you stop the bike, the debris drops off after a few minutes, then you get to do it all over again. Have you shined a flashlight into the tank, to see if there is any debris in the tank?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggers View Post
Tydeocean, what you are experiencing may be related to debris in the fuel tank. This would happen when after you start the bike, the filter would slowly start to accumulate debris until it becomes so choked the bike starts to bog down. After you stop the bike, the debris drops off after a few minutes, then you get to do it all over again. Have you shined a flashlight into the tank, to see if there is any debris in the tank?
Just looked inside the tank through the filler hole and it looks as clean as gas can get. I tipped her to the right side to see if there was anything over by the fuel pump that I could not see but nothing. I took her on a long ride this weekend 100mi, she would cruise at about 55 Mi/Hr but would have no power after that unless I switched the ignition switch off then on again and started her with the starter not the engine. That would give me about a 5 second burst of power and then she slowly came back to 55mph, this worked unit I ran low on fuel about 2gal left in the tank, then she would sit at about 35MPH no matter what I did until I got more fuel. I need to take the tank off to add the front grommets so I will drain the tank and see if I can find any debris, but besides this could it be the relay? The pump primes when she is in neutral not in gear, and if I put her in neutral from being in gear the pump wont prime. Don't know how to test a relay when i'm in the middle of driving, it only does this issue with bogging in gear for the most part. Neutral only acts up every once in a while.

Here is link of how the bike sounds when turning on the ignition. Whats that sound that is not the whirling of the pump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode