Jay Leno's Garage uses FRAM oil filters (a lot) - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 09/Vulcan900/Custom SE
Jay Leno's Garage uses FRAM oil filters (a lot)

I've been watching Jay Leno's youtube channel since forever for some reason... old and new episodes, each time they put the cars up on the lift, I'd see the orange FRAM oil filters. the other day they were working on a performance Lotus Elan (1969), rebuild and modified engine; the oil filter did seem a little oversized for a 1.6L engine (ph2870a =5in long oil filter).
Apparently there are very talented people working in that garage and even on very demanding restorations and engine modifications they use those oil filters. Jay also enjoys to run the engines hard, both bikes and automobiles.

I don't use FRAM since there are prettier oil filters out there (lols) but I have used them in the past for both bikes and cars, with no issues, at least with the ones I cut and inspected. So if those guys use them, FRAM can't be the as bad as we tend to believe... Just an observation, feel free to take offense (lols again).

Be safe, have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:36 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 KAW VN900CGF
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black/White
Product Placement. See, it worked on you.
Ricksza and jdocster like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:35 AM

Year/Make/Model: 06 Vulcan Nomad, 05 and 04 Yamaha FZ1
Displacement/CC's: 1600 / 1000 x 2
Color: Green/Silver, Silver, Blue
Had a problem with one several years ago long before the internet, and made up my mind right then and there.

Jay can do whatever he wants but I'm not running them.
jdocster likes this.

Old Enough to Know Better

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:52 AM
Top Contributor

Some years ago there were multiple oil filter comparisons done by disassembling new ones of various brands and doing bit by bit analyses. In those comparisons Fram filters did not compare well with most other brands. However it is possible that Fram has improved their products in the meanwhile. Would be good to see more up-to-date detailed comparisons.

However just because Jay Leno uses Frams is not on its own enough evidence for me to use them as well.
Ricksza likes this.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:10 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 900
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blus
I started my carer as accountant at FRAM's European manufacturing facility, we made all sort of filters. all the same then at the end of the line a manufactures sleeve was fitted before the end plate and then boxed in the appropriate box, for a face we made, Motorcraft (Ford) British Layland (Unipart?) Rolls Royce, Chrysler, all identical except the box.
AirborneSilva likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:06 AM
BOTY Winner 2015!
BOTM Winner
July 2015

Garage
I love posts like this. Marketing at its best. I personally use K&N on all the filters on my 9 because money isn't an issue, and there have been no failures, their reputation seems decent. Again likely marketing. On my personal vehicles I go factory, which is mostly Motorcraft. If Motorcraft filters are disquised as Frams, and they fail, well that is on Ford. I would normally go K&N on my personal trucks but due to having a company truck, the personal trucks are rarely driven, so it seems more a matter of following OEM recommendations.

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, a few mods...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 VN800A, sold.
1998 VN500, sold.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 09/Vulcan900/Custom SE
While I agree that a YT show is not the standard for product quality, I also assume that mr Leno and the mechanics there are not the type of guys that disregard the safety of their engines

I do not recall watching an episode where they present the oil filters, but the orange color makes the filters easily recognizable, so that's how I saw them. I think they would be a little more aggressive in pushing the products if it were a marketing maneuver, meaning they don't really make ANY effort in advertising those filters. They do present a few products, for example a few shows on non-corrosive coolants that they use and also the battery tenders... they always mention the universal brake calipers and other stuff like that. Nothing really on the oil filters..

* @Wasatch & @Wasatch I think you misunderstood my post ;}. I decided on not using FRAM oil filters based on the reasons @Hot Cruiser stated... but I found it interesting that consecrated motor-heads have no issues with that product line..
Wasatch likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:09 PM
BOTY Winner 2015!
BOTM Winner
July 2015

Garage
No worries I have seen a lot of the video comparisons between the filter line up. According to the videos and info I get the quality of the products are distinctly different. I personally do not use Fram products based on a lot of things. To Fram: Been on several forums (including this one) who don't like using them, their reputation is not the greatest, etc. I don't mind paying several $ more for something for the main consensus agrees on and what has been successful.

If the main option was to use Fram, that works. I would however speed up my maintenance interval a little. Again not dissing them, just looking at the history, reviews, and some other online sources. And I agree if Fram has gotten better in these past years, more power to them!

2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, a few mods...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 VN800A, sold.
1998 VN500, sold.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by durox View Post
While I agree that a YT show is not the standard for product quality, I also assume that mr Leno and the mechanics there are not the type of guys that disregard the safety of their engines

I do not recall watching an episode where they present the oil filters, but the orange color makes the filters easily recognizable, so that's how I saw them. I think they would be a little more aggressive in pushing the products if it were a marketing maneuver, meaning they don't really make ANY effort in advertising those filters. They do present a few products, for example a few shows on non-corrosive coolants that they use and also the battery tenders... they always mention the universal brake calipers and other stuff like that. Nothing really on the oil filters..

* @Wasatch & @Wasatch I think you misunderstood my post ;}. I decided on not using FRAM oil filters based on the reasons @Hot Cruiser stated... but I found it interesting that consecrated motor-heads have no issues with that product line..
Generac (power generators) line of oil filters for their generators are orange. A lot of auto filters are compatible with their units. I have heard of people using auto filters in their Generacs units because the Generac filters are expensive, but not the other way around. Who knows? Maybe Leno's folks have found that Generac filters do a great job in their vehicles. My point - just because they are orange does not necessarily mean they are Fram. Likely they are, but it is not a certainty.
durox likes this.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
For a few bucks more I use K & N. Jay is probably getting paid to use Fram.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn