vulcan vibration - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb vulcan vibration

I have a 2010 Vulcan 900 custom and I get a vibration throughout the bike at an indicated 70mph and I was just wondering if this is something that others have encountered and if there is a fix or is it the nature of the beast, it is just annoying as if your whole body is tingling. Any help would be appreciated. My last ride was a Goldwing and it was silky smooth to100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:09 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dupler View Post
I have a 2010 Vulcan 900 custom and I get a vibration throughout the bike at an indicated 70mph and I was just wondering if this is something that others have encountered and if there is a fix or is it the nature of the beast, it is just annoying as if your whole body is tingling. Any help would be appreciated. My last ride was a Goldwing and it was silky smooth to100.
I had a similar problem with a 2009 Vulcan 900 right after getting two new tires put on it. They went and rebalanced the tires. That didn't work. They changed the front tire again and now the vibrations not starting till about 75 mph. If you hadn't changed tires perhaps it will wait light up falling off? Or another guy told me to check the fluid in the forks. Anyway on the 30th I have an appointment to bring my bike back to have them recheck the tires. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:36 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
My 9 classic was buzzy over 65 ,some threads on this topic,and some fixes,is a great bike however

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Volcan 900 LT
Color: Black/Silver
Garage
The buzziness is due to the high revs that you are running at 70 mph. The way to fix this is to put the front and rear Barons pulleys on the bike. This increases your final drive by about 11.5%. If you will go to gearingcommander.com and select your bike, you will see that this pulley change, front and back, reduces the rpm's by 475 at 70mph and 500 at 75 mph. I have both pulleys on my bike and it is a huge change.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 08:41 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic, 1991 Honda 750 NightHawk
Displacement/CC's: 900, 750
Color: Red and Black
Indicated 70mph is 65

70 mph on the speedo is 65 mph use a gps to confirm.

Shinko 230 Tour Master Tires Rear tire 180/70-15 Front tire 130/90-16
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:25 PM

Year/Make/Model: 09/Vulcan900/Custom SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider32 View Post
The buzziness is due to the high revs that you are running at 70 mph. The way to fix this is to put the front and rear Barons pulleys on the bike. This increases your final drive by about 11.5%. If you will go to gearingcommander.com and select your bike, you will see that this pulley change, front and back, reduces the rpm's by 475 at 70mph and 500 at 75 mph. I have both pulleys on my bike and it is a huge change.
5th gear @70mph = 4000RPM. that is not high rev by any means for this type of engine (short stroke, shortest in it's class).

@Barry Dupler : if the vibrations change in intensity and frequency if you go slower or faster (just 5mph), I would suspect a tire balance issue.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:42 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dupler View Post
I seriously doubt that there is any modification or way that a Kawi Vulcan 900 would ever be as smooth at highway speeds and revs as a Gold Wing, with its inherently balanced opposed cylinder engine design.
durox likes this.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:57 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Volcan 900 LT
Color: Black/Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by durox View Post
5th gear @70mph = 4000RPM. that is not high rev by any means for this type of engine (short stroke, shortest in it's class).
I agree, it's not too high for the engine itself but the higher the revs, the more the vibration in this engine. That 4000 rpm at 70 turns into approx 3500 with the pulley change and it is definitely a noticeable difference. Just because the engine red lines at over 7000 rpm's doesn't mean I want to stay there all day.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks for the advise, I known that it is not a tire balance problem because I spent over 20 years at Firestone diagnoising tire problems on car, trucks, and even motorcycles before the Bridgestone merger. It is not a vibration that upsets the bike, more of a tingle throughout the whole bike, my wife says that she doesn't mind it at all, I may be feeling something that a v-twin just does, my last v-twin was sold in 1968 and was a Harley that never stopped vibrating, I probably just got spoiled by my multies.
durox likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:53 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 vulcan classic
Displacement/CC's: 900cc
Color: red/charcoal
Garage
Do you have aftermarket pipes? I found when I first put my Vance & Hines pipes on that I had a buzz around 70 in 5th from the pipes being hard mounted to the frame rather than bushing mounted like the OEM pipes, I reworked the bracket, added some bushings, and the buzz was gone.

2016 vulcan 900 classic (Mini Street Glide)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode