Dead battery - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Dead battery

Hi all. I have an 2006 900b with 30k and I love it! I have a question about the charging system. I replaced the stator, rectifier and battery about 1000 miles ago. I installed the Ricks stuff off a tip I got on here last fall. last night when I pulled off the interstate to get fuel the battery was dead. After walking home to get the truck and going back to bike to pull the batt then back to the house I put it on a 2 amp charge and the Battery takes a charge. I took the battery back to the place I purchased it they did a load test and said it was good, 249 cold cranking amps but it only had 11 V so I put it on the trickle and got it up to 13 v. Bike starts. Since the batt took a charge from the trickle but only had 11 v when I took it out of the bike. Looks like rectifier or stater right? I
I unplugged the rectifier plug and it had oil in it!?! like an oil magnet!! Forks are clean brake cal is clean no leaks or drips from filter or motor or anywhere else. Completely dry yet the plug was wet!! WTH? Hopefully this is the problem After charging the battery on a trickle to 13.2 I put it back in the bike. Started and i let it get to operating temp and volt meter said 13.8. I rev it and voltage went to nearly 15, I backed off and it dropped back to 13.8 and held. So strange why yesterday bike would not start and battery only had 11 volts when I checked it after I took it out. I could not test output cuz it wouldn’t start. I have added 0 electric accessories. Hopefully just a dirty connection at the rec/reg plug? I think im a little more confused today than I was yesterday. Has this happened to anyone else? Ideas? suggestions? I’m afraid to venture out of my neighbor for fear of needing to call the wife to come rescue me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:44 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
I had to change out the stator on my 07 900 Custom at about 21k miles. When I first started looking to find the charging problem I also found what appeared to be oil in that plug. I don't really know what it was or where it came from but after replacing the reg/rec I have always used dielectric grease to lube the contacts and seal the plug. 30k miles later I haven't had a charging problem or 'oil' in the plug.

You should do some charging system checks though. Check the AC output of the generator and the DC voltage across the battery terminals while running (at a minimum). This will give you an idea as to whether or not your system is trying to charge the battery or whether you need to do more testing. To check the AC output properly, you'll need a tach along with your voltmeter.

Also, once you get the problem worked out, consider installing a battery gauge. I put a Kuryakyn on mine. Depending on how you wire it up it can monitor your system voltage or charging voltage. It won't tell you everything about your electrical system. I refer to it as my peace of mind gauge.

Last edited by SteveJB; 07-11-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Added battery gauge note.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Steve. I put the voltmeter on the battery while running and got 13.2v -15 v. After cleaning this plug. Unsure of the rpm’s though. Just played it by ear so not exact but...... I will dielectric it and heat shrink that plug and wiring to it. Hopefully that gets it. Thanks much.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:37 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Sparkle Black and Titanium
Garage
Next most important question I think, is how did the oil get inside the rectifier plug? Is this from doing oil changes?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

I don’t think so. Tonight I unplugged it and it was wet again. I pulled the plug back toward the rear so I could spray contact cleaner up in there and let it dangle. I was shocked at the oil that dripped out, I left it for 30 minutes and 1/2 cup of oil was on the floor. It must be coming from the case. I’m going to do an oil change tomorrow and pull off the stator cover and see what’s going on in there.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

To be clear. The oil wasn’t actually coming out of the plug but out of the tubing/casing that wraps up those 6 wires going into the plug.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:33 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottso View Post
To be clear. The oil wasn’t actually coming out of the plug but out of the tubing/casing that wraps up those 6 wires going into the plug.
That is weird. Mine had a little liquid in the plug. This sounds like crankcase oil following the wires.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:00 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Nomad ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/White
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post
That is weird. Mine had a little liquid in the plug. This sounds like crankcase oil following the wires.
I believe that's exactly what it is. When I had my 900 and replaced my stator I found oil in the connector both before and after the repair. Breaking it down I found that it appears the oil from the case is following the inside of the insulating wrapping around the wiring to the rectifier. Obviously a design flaw, if this is whats happening. I wound up cleaning the oil from the inside of the wrapping, put some rtv silicone sealant inside it and wrapped a zip tie around the outside. That appeared to stop the oil which bolsters the belief it's coming from the case.

Go for the ride!
2014 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad ABS
2008 Kawasaki 900 Classic LT (sold 2015 42k miles)
1975 Kawasaki KZ400 (sold ~1985)
1970 Suzuki TS250 Scrambler (stolen 1971)
1968 Bridgestone 200 MKII RS (sold 1970)
Patriot Guard Rider
USN 1971-75
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Hi CarGuy. Thanks for confirming. Your fix is exactly what I’m going to do. Between the oil in this shield and the oil in the air box I’m a 1/2 q low!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottso View Post
Hi CarGuy. Thanks for confirming. Your fix is exactly what Im going to do. Between the oil in this shield and the oil in the air box Im a 1/2 q low!!
Oil in the air box - if a lot and the crankcase oil level is 1/2 quart low according to the sight glass, is the crankcase oil being over-filled? With my 900 if the oil level is any higher than midway between the oil level marks there will be more than a little oil in the air box. Possibly over-filling the oil is causing some to leak from the air box and run down onto the electrical connector. Mine has had some oil on it - some from oil changes - oil leaks from filter when uninstalling, and also likely from overfill.
durox likes this.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode