Kill switch on - No sound - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2010/KAWA/V900 Classic LT
Color: Metallic Dark Green / Titanium
Garage
Kill switch on - No sound

Greetings,

I'm new to my 2010 V900 Classic LT, I've had it for roughly 3 weeks.

When I first got the bike, when I turned on the key, the bike made a sound. Then when I turned the kill switch to run position, I would hear another sound. This has been described by another forum member as:

Keyclick
...First sound: Brrrrrrzzzziiiiicccchip
Kill Switch to On/Run
...Second sound: Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Once I started the bike, if it was cold, it would run at a very high idle until it warmed up, then once warmed up the rpm's would drop down to a smooth and quiet level after a couple minutes. Note: I have Cobra pipes, so that high idle is very loud.

In the last few days I've noticed when I turned the kill switch to run, there was no longer a second sound, it's just silent. Then, when I start the bike, it starts at a low idle, and kinda struggles (as in its a little starved for fuel). Then over the next minute or so the idle slowly starts to increase in RPM's (but not to the previous high idle level), until it warms up, then lowers down to a quiet idle.

On one of my recent cold starts, the bike would turn over but not stay running, until I compensated with varying throttle over about 5 seconds (then it was fine, albeit low rpm).

My question is, what was that second sound when I was moving the kill switch to On/Run, and why is that no longer happening? Is this related to the high idle no longer occurring?

I've ridden the bike daily since this started for about 3 days. It seems to run fine, the only difference is startup. No sound on run switch, and no very high idle when cold. Note: The kill switch does turn off the bike ok, that's how I stop the bike.

If it helps, I have about 3500 miles on the bike, it has Cobra pipes + Cobra Powrflo air intake. Any ideas are very appreciated.

Thank you!

2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT VN900D in Metallic Dark Green / Titanium (purchased JUN 2019)

Last edited by fj2u; 06-26-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:36 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 VC1600 Mean Streak
Displacement/CC's: 1552
Color: Black
That whiiiiiirl noise is the fuel pump priming and pressurized the fuel system. If it's not going that, I'm actually surprised it even starts to be honest. I believe the fuel pump might have its own fuse, so I'd check that first and see if it's blown.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Interesting, yeah it runs fine otherwise. So does that explain the lack of high idle when the bike is started? I will check the fuses after work. Thank you.

2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT VN900D in Metallic Dark Green / Titanium (purchased JUN 2019)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:44 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 VC1600 Mean Streak
Displacement/CC's: 1552
Color: Black
Well...actually...maybe not. The fuel pump priming might be the noise you hear when you click the key over.

Perhaps the second noise you don't hear anymore is actually the solonoids valves under the air filter cover (assuming yours has those) that might actually control the high idle.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Interesting theory, I can see how that would explain the lack of kill switch/run position Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound, and the lack of high idle. I just did some quick searches on that, and it sounds like some people purposely disable the "Idle Solonoid Control" (ISC) because they dont like the ticking sound it makes, or they don't like the high idle with aftermarket pipes (which I can understand, so loud!).

That also would explain why on one of the cold starts recently I had to compensate with throttle for a few seconds to keep it running. This is bringing me back to childhood when we had to feather the gas peddle when cold starting our family cars.

I'm hoping this is simply a fuse, and not a larger repair. I like the bike to run as it was intended!

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by fj2u; 06-26-2019 at 11:07 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
If the fuel pump fuse was blown you'd not be able to start it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 30,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:16 PM

Color: Red
Garage
While not totally related, with Cobra pipes and air intake, you should really consider some form of fuel management.

Gone are the days we stop to decide where we should go, we just ride.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
While not totally related, with Cobra pipes and air intake, you should really consider some form of fuel management.
There is fuel management, I did notice a box under the seat, I will have to check to see what it is.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:33 PM

It sounds to me like you turned the choke off. Have you been cleaning or wrenching in the engine area where you could have accidentally made contact with it? Or the idle control which is hanging on a cable near the intake. Twisting it forward will increase idle , back will lower it. It also pulls out or in for a choke effect
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:44 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W.Ogg View Post
It sounds to me like you turned the choke off. Have you been cleaning or wrenching in the engine area where you could have accidentally made contact with it? Or the idle control which is hanging on a cable near the intake. Twisting it forward will increase idle , back will lower it. It also pulls out or in for a choke effect
Ogg, are driving a VN900? The bike is fuel injected, there is no choke. The mixture and high idle are controlled by the ECU. The normal idle adjuster is mounted on the air filter cover facing forward, but that doesn't have any effct on high idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode