Cobra Speedsters. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2012
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Sparkly black, whatever kawasaki call that.
Cobra Speedsters.

Well I eventually fitted the Cobra Speedster pipes which came free with the bike today.
I'll be taking them off again tomorrow! They're far too loud, and cause the bike to misfire and have a flatspot (at about 40mph) where the bike runs on only one cylinder, requiring a big handful of throttle to pick up again, horrible. AND the fuel injection light comes on to cap it all.
Spanners out tomorrow morning and the standard pipes will be going back on. It's a shame because they look great and probably save 5 or 6kgs..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:49 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 V900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
FI is for Fault Indicator light.
You can check the codes to see what it is.

The popping on decel is not uncommon when you remove the backpressure. It is easily stopped by blocking the large hose from the air intake to the Air Injection System. (AIS) A lot of the loudness will go away too.(on decel, anyway)

How did you conclude you were running on one cylinder?

(I have the cobras fitted too.)

EDIT: Is your bike fitted with Oxygen sensors over there?

PERFORMANCE:
ECU reprogrammed by Ivan
Cobra Speedster Pipes
Barons BAK intake
Progressive springs in the forks.
COMFORT:
Kuryakn ISO Grips
Mustang Studded Wide Touring Seat with Driver Backrest
OEM Passenger Backrest.
MISC:
Added Grease fittings to Stem, Tie Rod, and Swingarm.
Cobra Crash Bar
Red LED lights by PO
170/80 Commander II in the rear

Last edited by westcoastkevin; 06-21-2019 at 02:08 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Snap, crackle and pop.

Thanks for the reply Westcoastkevin.
Yes, I'm running the Oxygen sensors. I was told on a another forum that when fitting the Speedsters the ECU would adjust itself after riding for a while. It didn't do that and heres how it ran: Small throttle openings and light acceleration a few pops and bangs until up to 40 mph when it would go onto one pot until a big handful of throttle was taken, then it would run fine. If I closed the throttle quickly then it would decelerate with no pops or bangs, until about 40 mph or lower when it would start the one cylinder running accompanied by more pops and bangs until the throtte was reapplied.
It's running very weak at intermediate revs due to lower back pressure with the Cobra pipes. The info. from the O2 sensors is obviously confusing the ECU.
Even if I was to get the fueling right with a Power Commander, etc. it would still be way too loud for me, I was actually embarassed riding the bike through local villages and towns.
Getting my spanners ready now to take them off. I'll put them on ebay.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:35 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900c
Displacement/CC's: 889
Color: Black
Garage
I’m not sure if the ecu will auto adjust or not but when the cobra pipes got put on my bike it had to be tuned. The pipes sound great and ya once and awhile I get a small pop but nothing you have described.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

I'm a quiet type of biker

Thanks Mike. I've also got the oxygen sensor eliminators which I could have tried but the pipes will still be too loud. My standard pipes are back on and the bike's running as it usually does, although I must admit it it is one of the worst fueled bikes I've ever owned.
It sometimes stalls or pops when the engines cold and sometimes when it's warm if I shut off quickly. I think it's the US spec. emissions friendly settings which cause it. There's a sharp downhill left handed turn-off where I have to take extra care in case the bike stalls (as the road goes back up hill again)
Generally I'm guilty of setting off before the bike warms up fully, and I think this is the cause of the stalling. When i wait a bit longer it's generally ok. It does run weak though, as the plugs show (white electrode)
I wouldn't mind experimenting with a Power Commander or somesuch to richen it up, or an Ivans ECU tune up mentioned elsewhere on this site.
Problem is they're both a bit expensive! (and Ivans UK agent has just died). Has anyone any experience with the Power Commander type fueling aids?

Last edited by BikeMadPete; 06-24-2019 at 09:39 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:22 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Pearl White/ Beige
Garage
When I had my 900 I put Cobra Dragsters on it, with a K&N air filter and a Cobra FI2000 tuner. It ran great. I did have some decel popping, but nothing too bad. As far as the sound, I loved it. It was good and loud. I used to put it in a strain going through tunnels just to hear it roar.

2012 1700 Voyager
Cobra Slip Ons
Kuryakyn Grips
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Klock Werks Windshield
Mustang Seat with Driver Backrest
Kenwood Stereo
Soundstream Amp
Engineered adapters with 6-1/2"Polk Audio Front Speakers
Kawasaki Rear Speaker Pods with Polk Audio 5-1/4" Speakers
Ivan's Flash
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:18 PM

Garage
I went through a tunnel that had parking lanes of each side and I set off so many car alarms lol
BamaBiker and longbeachgary like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeMadPete View Post
Thanks Mike. I've also got the oxygen sensor eliminators which I could have tried but the pipes will still be too loud. My standard pipes are back on and the bike's running as it usually does, although I must admit it it is one of the worst fueled bikes I've ever owned.
It sometimes stalls or pops when the engines cold and sometimes when it's warm if I shut off quickly. I think it's the US spec. emissions friendly settings which cause it. There's a sharp downhill left handed turn-off where I have to take extra care in case the bike stalls (as the road goes back up hill again)
Generally I'm guilty of setting off before the bike warms up fully, and I think this is the cause of the stalling. When i wait a bit longer it's generally ok. It does run weak though, as the plugs show (white electrode)
I wouldn't mind experimenting with a Power Commander or somesuch to richen it up, or an Ivans ECU tune up mentioned elsewhere on this site.
Problem is they're both a bit expensive! (and Ivans UK agent has just died). Has anyone any experience with the Power Commander type fueling aids?
I know you have already taken them off but as a side note they do make quiet baffles for the cobra pipes. Just Incase you like the styling of the cobra vs oem.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Baffles

Thanks MIke.
That's something to think about. I do like the styling of the Cobras and the bike seems to be noticeably lighter with them on (gets a bit hot on my right leg though!) It's also a lot easier to remove the rear wheel, brake caliper etc. with them on so it's a possibility. I'll have a look on the Cobra site and check it out. Cheers.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:26 PM

Garage
And besure to check your air filter. I had horrible gas mileage when I first bought it until I pulled the cover off and realized a mouse was living in there lol. So much for trusting the previous owner. He’s luckily the bike looked so clean lol. After I bought K&N cleaning kit and reoiled the filter the bike instantly saw better mileage. Today I rode 150 miles and only used half a tank. So that’s about 250-300 before I refill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode