She's (not) giving me Good vibrations. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2012
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Sparkly black, whatever kawasaki call that.
She's (not) giving me Good vibrations.

Another annoyance with the Vulcan is a rattle as I go up through the rev range, and at above 70mph (and sometimes 60, going into a headwind) which sounds like a sympathetic vibration (reverbration?) of some part or other rattling at certain revs.
I looked up some old postings on the subject and one said to put some rubber strip under the speedo bezel. I've done this with car door trim and although greatly reduced it still makes an annoying buzz at certain revs. I've also tightened the engine bolts one of which seemed a little on the loose side.
I've ordered some different sizes of rubber strip and I'll go over the whole bike to make sure there's nothing which can rattle. The noise sounds like it's coming from the tank area but trying to track it down while riding isn't so easy.
Has anyone else had/cured this problem with their 900?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Top Contributor

With my 900 after attempting to diagnose the rattling problem for some time I discovered that it was the leather fob I have on my ignition lock key and was rattling against the plastic side panel, especially at highway speeds. Moral for me - look for the easiest solution first . . . .

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2012
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Sparkly black, whatever kawasaki call that.
Shake rattle and roll.

Well the rubber strip arrived today and I wasted no time in putting it under the speedo bezel with contact adhesive. I also removed the radiator protector grill and did the same with that. I took it for a ride on our local bypass, and it's about 95% gone. There is still a slight rattle on acceleration but it disappears once speed levels out. I was doing 80-85mph and the bike was almost quiet, which is quite nice.
I think the remaining noise is caused by the exhaust heat shields vibrating. I am going to fit my Cobra pipes, so either the noise will disappear or it will be drowned out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode