[PSA] OEM Sissy Bar and Mustang Seat - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Exclamation [PSA] OEM Sissy Bar and Mustang Seat

I thought I would post something about the fitment issues with my parts.

I bought a 2010 VN 900 Custom - the backed out style. Love it. It came with the Kawasaki sissy bar/backrest, luggage rack, saddle bags, all black to match the bike. Also came with a one piece Mustang seat...

I ran into a problem when I tried to remove the seat to try out the stock seat. Holy f***....nightmare. I couldn't remove the seat because the sissy bar was tight up against the back of the seat so I couldn't pull it backward or upward to remove it. So I had to remove the sissy bar to remove the seat....nightmare continues.

There were 4 allen bolts holding the sissy bar on. But the seat cushion was covering them. I got 2 out fairly easy with some pressure on the cushion. The bottom 2...no way. We fought with them and the cushion for a while before I went to the store to try to find a better tool. When I got back hubby managed to get them out somehow. I couldn't even remove the whole backrest assembly from the fender because of the way it bolts on until I got those bolts out.

TL;DR - Don't try to put a Mustang one piece 2-up seat on if you have the OEM sissy bar. They don't work!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:32 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Color: Sparkle Black and Titanium
Garage
Well, no question that is a VERY tight fit. However I was wondering, would it possible to remove the backrest pad (2 bolts I think), then to lift the back of the seat up to remove it (once the seat is unlocked and the pad removed)? The sissy bar/luggage rack combination, looks like it was designed for the original single seat, with a small pillion for the second passenger. I have a classic LT, so I haven't dealt with this problem directly.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I like your thinking but no - the underside hard shell of the seat gets stuck under the bolt - you can kind of see in the first picture it curves under the bolt. It's a hard plastic so it's not easily malleable. And I think when this seat was put on they forced it down into place, making a small tear in the leather in one corner. Just all around a bad setup. God forbid you'd need to get at the tools or battery! I have it stripped down without bags, backrest, and the original seat now. The mustang just doesn't fit me right.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:57 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Vulcan Classic LT
Color: red/Silver
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Bildak
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinblack View Post
I like your thinking but no - the underside hard shell of the seat gets stuck under the bolt - you can kind of see in the first picture it curves under the bolt. It's a hard plastic so it's not easily malleable. And I think when this seat was put on they forced it down into place, making a small tear in the leather in one corner. Just all around a bad setup. God forbid you'd need to get at the tools or battery! I have it stripped down without bags, backrest, and the original seat now. The mustang just doesn't fit me right.
The custom and the classic have two different seat pans. The custom is deeper where the bracket bolts to the pan. I had this problem when I thought i was buying a seat for my classic and it turned out to be for the custom. I had to raise up the locking bracket on the bike causing it to fit deeper in order for it to latch correctly using washers under the bracket. If you go this route, you need to purchase a longer metric bolt from Lowes, about a half inch, found in the hardware dept, they have them. I was then able to lock it in place and had no more headaches with the seat.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Funny you mention that - I noticed the sticker on the bottom of the mustang seat said Vulcan Classic 2004-2008 or something like that. I've got a 2010 Custom. Maybe the proper seat would work with the sissy bar? No matter, the seat doesn't work with my body type. Just wish the stock seat was all back instead of silver on top :/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:51 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Vulcan Classic LT
Color: red/Silver
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Bildak
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinblack View Post
Funny you mention that - I noticed the sticker on the bottom of the mustang seat said Vulcan Classic 2004-2008 or something like that. I've got a 2010 Custom. Maybe the proper seat would work with the sissy bar? No matter, the seat doesn't work with my body type. Just wish the stock seat was all back instead of silver on top :/
You could take it to a upholstery shop and have a new seat cover made, or just find one that really fits. It a PITA when things don't go right...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode