Front Fender Stress Cracks - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic SE
Displacement/CC's: 903
Garage
Front Fender Stress Cracks

Anyone else experience this issue? This all started with the removal of my front fender. When removing, the screws were fairly snug. While reinstalling, I figured I would snug them up, not too tight, but snug, using a tiny Allen key. Noticed stress cracks after a couple of days. After a couple of weeks, fender pretty much completely crumbled around the screws. These things are unbelievably fragile.

I have pictures but not sure how to post them here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:43 PM

I split my rear fender with a four inch crack down the side a few years back. Used oateys abc cement from Home Depot to fix it and it has held for two years now
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
There was no fixing mine. As I loosened the screws to remove the damaged fender, pieces of plastic began dropping on the floor. I've already replaced it with a new fender. This time I used thread lock and barely tightened the screws. The issue for me is how brittle this plastic is; so easy to break and so expensive to replace.

Life's better on two wheels
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:34 PM

Color: Red
Garage
It almost sounds like some sort of something got on the plastic somewhere along the line. Full disintegration is odd.

Gone are the days we stop to decide where we should go, we just ride.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The only thing that I am aware that may have gotten on there would be a rust protector applied to the screw heads. I have to say, the new fender feels very slight, not much give, and I expect very easy to break.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:26 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
Interesting. I drove my Custom for 10 years without any of the plastic parts being damaged. It always seemed to me like a very durable material. In fact, my 2007 900 Custom shows no fender damage, but my 2017 Vaquero with steel fenders had visible damage the 2nd week it was on the road. Like G-Man said, it sounds like something got on the fender causing it to deteriorate. What that could be, I have no idea.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Top Contributor

Could the plastic fender fragmenting and cracking problem be because of prolonged exposure to direct sun? Or in Newfoundland/Labrador because of contrasting summer sun and winter cold, causing stress especially at mounting points? This doesn't appear to be a widespread problem. Like SteveJB my '07 VN900 Classic LT has no such problem but we live in a mild climate area.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It's very unlikely the bike is overexposed to sun as it is stored inside my garage, and only used for about 5 months out of the year. We do get warm summers and cold winters, not sure what effect that might have on the plastics. I would also stress that I have not noticed any issues with the other plastics. I have to believe that the issue was triggered by the removal and retightening of the screws. I am convinced that though I thought I was being careful not to overtighten, I actually tightened them too much. What I find strange though is that nothing snapped during tightening, but the condition ocurred progressively over the next few days. I first noticed some very fine lines around the screw heads, and then almost a spider web effect around the screw heads, where I could see the black underlying material under the paint. At this point I new the fender was toast.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Threadlocker. There's my problem. I remember applying a small amount to the screws, and after some more research, I now realize that this stuff eats certain plastics, especially abs, which I believe the fender is made of. What's worse, is I just did the same thing with my brand new fender. Im away on business, but now have the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that when I get back home I will find that my new fender has suffered the same fate...😭

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I noticed small fissures around the mounting screws on my garage baby custom 2014. I have neither removed nor touched my fro t fender, except to wash and wax the bike. I think there may be some inconsistency in their plastic they use, but doubt anyone will ever find out what the problem truly is: it’s gonna be a trade secret that will require class action to change. But who’s gonna do that? No one! It’s sad.

Vulcan 900 Custom VN900CE
Freedom Performance Exhaust
Stock Intake No DFI Mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode