Rim band for rear rim on 900 classic lt - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Rim band for rear rim on 900 classic lt

I'm loooking for the correct rubber rim band for rear rim. I have searched and the ones i have found are too small to cover spokes.I'm thinking it should be 2 inches.But not sure . Any input, size and where to buy will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:28 PM
DKC

Year/Make/Model: 2008 en500c
Displacement/CC's: 500
Color: Black
Garage
The actual Kawasaki part numbers are 41023-0008 (rear) and 41023-1102 (front).

A quick check on Partzilla shows them both between $8 and $9 each. You might can cross reference these numbers on other sites and find them cheaper.

If you stay with the genuine Kawasaki part, or find the detailed measurements for width and cross reference that, you should be fine.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:14 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic, 1991 Honda 750 NightHawk
Displacement/CC's: 900, 750
Color: Red and Black
Lightbulb Get creative

Go to your local Ace Hardware and buy a roll of electrical tape.

Run it around the rim to cover the spokes.

Done

grin2:

Shinko 230 Tour Master Tires Rear tire 180/70-15 Front tire 130/90-16

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:30 PM
DKC

Garage
No offense Biebs, but the last time I did that was on a BMX bicycle. Electrical tape simply doesn't have the same characteristics as a true rim band.

Working at the local m-cycle shop, I've seen a few more than a few flats caused by creative shortcuts such as these. Electrical tape, duct tape, clear packing tape, plastic wrap, even gooped on silicone caulking. More than one of those flat fixes also included repairs from when the bike went down as a result of the flat.

Is it worth risking a few hundred (or more) bucks in repairs on the bike (not even counting the damages to the rider) to save a couple bucks on a rim band? Not to me...

When I put a new tire on, I actually look for a heavier duty rim band, even when dealing with a light bike (think Rebel 250 or similar). The extra protection is well worth the extra buck or two it costs up front.

I'm all for saving a buck and finding creative ways to do so, just not on a critical area such as this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:21 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: green/black
I use 2 layers of duct tape. Never had a problem with it. I prefer it. I have seen rubber rim bands that have shifted when installing the tube and tire to the point where the nipple was partially exposed and the spoke almost exposed. I have seen rim strips that have been worn through. However that is just my experience.
Jim
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:59 PM
DKC

Garage
I too have seen issues from wheel bands shifting. That's most commonly caused by not taking the proper care when setting the tube into the tire.

Of course, if the spoke end is sticking out past the end of the spoke nut, that's a whole different set of issues that a wheel band simply won't correct.

The way I was taught, you should replace your rim band every other time you replace your tire unless you had damage and ran on a flat or similar, in which case replace the rim band then.

I'd be willing to bet good money that the bands you see that are worn through weren't replaced as I was taught, or anywhere close. I too have seen a couple bands worn through. Every time there were other issues contributing to that... age, improper inflation, wrong band, etc.

I can't tell anyone what to do, but I can make suggestions. Mine is to use factory correct (or factory spec aftermarket, or even aftermarket parts that exceed the factory spec) parts when possible on situations such as this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:49 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Blue/Grey
I want to share another story , way back while on a road trip I got a punctured rear tire and the band was damaged and couldn't get a replacement right away so I took some Gorilla tape and wraped 3 turns on the wheel and made a solemn promise to replace the band as soon as I got back home , then while still in the trip I got another flat and noticed something, the tire didn't go flat as fast as it did before the Gorilla tape, so It got me thinking that the tape sealed all the spoke heads making the wheel kinda tubeless, anyway I decided to keep the tape and see if it was just a fluke , it was not, since then I have changed a couple of tires and it's always the same the tire will deflate at a slower rate giving me enough time to stop without suddenly losing control . Now I have both tires with Gorilla tape , and check it every time I get a flat or replace a tire so far the tape has held ok and I have only replaced the tape I originally applied on the back wheel , just for good measure as it looked ok . Again just sharing a personal story not advocating anything .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode