Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Funny Vulcan 900 stories

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  durox 
#1 ·
I haven't seem a thread like this one, so I thought I'd start one.

I live in the DFW area, and bought my bike on 6/27/17 from a dealer in Houston. The wife and I drove there to pick it up so I could ride it back to DFW. When we got there, we saw the bike and thought it was beautiful and my wife loved it. Before I could test ride it however, the bottom fell out and it rained heavily for about 2 hours, with my new used bike out there in the rain! The rain was so heavy no one at the dealer wanted to go our there to bring it in under cover. So we left the dealer in the rain. Before we left, I asked them to change the oil the next morning and we stayed over night at a hotel.

The next morning was nice, so we went back to the dealer and finished the paperwork. I started back to DFW and went thru College Station along Hwy 6, to get a feel for the bike, with the wife following. By the time we got to Waco, my rear end was killing me, so I knew then I would probably need to change the seat. We decided to stay overnight in Waco, so I pulled into a gas station to get gas for the following morning. Then I dropped the bike right next to the pump, because I forgot to put the freaking kick stand down. :surprise: I caught it, and though I could not prevent it from going down, I had enough strength to let it land gently, with no harm done. So after lifting it back up, I got gas, then parked it at the hotel. The next morning the ride back to DFW was basically uneventful.

My wife watched me ride the bike all the way back from Houston, and though she had never seen me ride a motorcycle before, she came away feeling pretty confident about my ability to ride, except for the gas station incident of course. :smile2:

See less See more
#2 ·
I sorta think of every tump-over as a powerful learning experience. You may tump over again some day, but it won't be from forgetting to put down the stand. 0:)

Plus, only once have I taken delivery of a bike and made it home without it raining. It always rains. Best to think of it as a rain of benediction for you and the bike, and Mother Nature making sure you are paying attention and being careful on the first ride.

Either that or, it is just one of those weird things... :eek:

#3 ·
I think I agree with the "benediction" thing. When my wife and I got married 17 years ago, it rained the entire time we were on our honeymoon. We still have the ponchos and umbrella we bought then. Our marriage has been wonderful, and so has my bike riding. ?

#4 ·
nice story @jbiggers :}
@Sonny I like your perspective on the rainy first ride.

years ago I also forgot to put down the kick stand, in the garage.. but the garage was full with boxes and all kinds of soft stuff as my friend just moved from out of state and was storing things in my garage...

I try to shut down the engine by putting down the kick stand, first or second gear.. didn't happen again :}

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.