Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

CT on a 900 classic lt

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Bildak 
#1 ·
I have been reading about tires for motorcycles. Some have suggested that a car tire would work. Anybody tried that on a 900. Just wondering if bike is heavy enough. Any pro's or cons would be appreciated. Thanks

#5 · (Edited)
They work great, and last around 30/40,000 miles. It does take about 100 miles to get used to,some take a lot less. Run about 31/34# air,to allow the tire to flex in curves. They do ride much better than a bike tire, rear brakes really work, drive in the rain like it was dry pavement. I have been Darkside, for about 15 years, and would not go back to a bike tire in the rear.
Here is what other 900 riders are using,
Kawasaki 900 Classic LT 2006 General Altimax HP 195/65-15 38-40
Kawasaki 900LT 2007 General Ultimax 195/65/15

#7 ·

Attachments

#9 ·
Just wondering what you mean by getting used to. What does it do? Act weird on certian road conditions. Low speed turning? Buck like a Bronco? I didn't realize it was called the dark side. I never had experience with anyone that used a ct. I have been doing a lot of work to my bike in the week I have owned it. Making it mine, adding things that make it more enjoyable to me. Looking at the back tire it is completely worn in the middle and sides are like new. I guess the previous owner didn't do much spirted riding.But wore as it is it kinda looks like a car tire.

#11 ·
I've ridden on it for so long, it just feels natural, secure. I do remember the first sharp turn I took with it, it just felt different and I wondered if I made the right choice. After about a hundred miles, I just got used to it. It handles tar strips in the road like they're not even there, same with chain link bridges (which used to scare the hell out of me) so there's no need to avoid them. Feels more secure in the rain and on hard stops. The one thing that's hard to get used to, hearing all the people saying that it won't work. Another bonus, the speedometer reads correct now.
On your tire, it sounds like the previous owner ran the tire pressure too high.

#12 ·
Like I said, I had mine for 8 years. Just got it from the local tire dealer. Used this website: https://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires for info on what others were using at the time. Showing no signs of any dry rot and because I only have about 20k on it, it still has plenty of tread. My first tire wore out at 5k.

#14 ·
Ricksza or Tynker
Should I use a car inner tube or motorcycle? I suspect car but you have more experience with this so I value yall's opinion. I ordered the 195 65 r15. Should have it in tomorrow so I need to have all my ducks lined up. I am thinking I'll take the rear wheel off and see if a shop will mount it. And if not how hard would it be to do myself. Also thinking about beads for balance, what do ya'll think.

#17 · (Edited)
Motorcycle tube works just fine in a car tire. we don't use beads, we static balance. To do that, after you get the tire mounted and aired up, shove the axle in the wheel,and support it on both sides with 2 jack stands, or whatever you have. Then rotate the wheel slowly. Mark where it stops with a piece of tape at the bottom. Spin it again, slowly. If it stops 3 times in a different place,you are good to go. If it stops in the same place 2 times in a row, add weights to the opposite side of the rim. I get my stick on weights at my local used tire dealer, who also mounts my car tires. I hope this is clear, if not lie me know and I will try to do better.:smile2:

#18 ·
https://ridermagazine.com/2016/05/20/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles/

#19 ·
I see this article as another opinion piece that was written in 2012. What would convince me is a real world comparison between the stock OEM tires and darkside. Comparing a round motorcycle tire against the flat design of a car tire, apparently he has never seen the Youtube videos of a motorcycle with car tires. Show me a single accident caused by running darkside. If you want tire failures, look at the Dunlop D402 on Harleys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.