Shocking Vulcan. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2012
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Sparkly black, whatever kawasaki call that.
Shocking Vulcan.

I've had my Vulcan 900 classic now for a couple of months and we're getting on quite well. I've checked and adjusted the valves, checked the camchain, greased the brake pistons and Waxoyled the frame and cases etc. and I'm generally enjoying owning my first Vulcan.
I've got a problem though which I've never had with any of my other bikes. On a dry day like today, I was putting my Oxford Stormex cover on and touched the frame and got quite a big static jolt through my hand. I've owned over 30 bikes over the years and never had a problem with static before.
Has anyone else had this problem with the Vulcan?
I'm thinking of glueing foil strips to the cover and sinking earthing spikes into the ground, wearing earthed wristbands etc. It's just strange that from the over 30 bikes I've owned over the years this is the first one to give me problems with static electricity..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:10 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Vehicles don't normally store static potential. They normally ground through the tires, which aren't great conductors, but conduct none the less. It takes upwards of 20k volts to feel a static spark. Either you are carrying a large charge and grounding through the bike, or your ignition coils are saturated and shorted and looking for a path to ground. Instead of looking for a band aid, look for the cause.

Rules to live by:

Never trust a fart after a night of fast food.
Never take a laxative and a sleeping aid on the same night.
When riding, wear gear you don't mind having a wreck in.
Don't ride above your skill level.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:17 AM
Top Contributor

I have a cover on my 900, don't recall the brand since it isn't noted on the cover, and have never had that static electricity problem. What is your cover made of? Mine is made of some sort of polyester. If it were nylon there might be a static problem since simply the action of nylon rubbing against the bike during removal can generate static.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Vulcan that thinks it's a Livewire.

I don't think it's anything to do with the bike electrics. The problem only seems to happen in dry weather when I'm putting the cover on or off. As I fit it over the rear of the bike and reach down to put my lock through the cover eyelets I touch the spokes and that's when I get the kick.
The static is being generated by the Oxford cover (I think it's a polyester outer) but for some reason the Vulcan seems to be doing a better job of isolating the charge than any of my previous bikes, leaving me as the conducting link!
I've seen somewhere that wearing leather soled shoes conducts the charge away effectively.
I'm wondering if the cover, being tighter on the Vulcan than my previous Shadow 1100 is generating a bigger charge (the Shadow was physically smaller so the cover was a lot looser on the bike).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Electrifying performance.

Well Thursday was a warm dry day here so I decided to go for a ride. I took my shoes off before removing the cover going out and coming back in and covering up and there were no shocking moments. I could feel the static building as I moved the cover over the bike but it seems that without my plastic "crocks" on the static is passing into the ground harmlessly. I usually wear them when tinkering outdoors or getting the blke ready for a ride, but it struck me that they are the perfect insulators as far as footwear is concerned. I'm thinking of buying some copper braid and running a few pieces from inside the shoes to under the sole. It might help if I ever get struck by lightening as well....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode