ABS Brakes - Yes or no? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan S 650 ABS
Displacement/CC's: 649
Color: Matte Black
ABS Brakes - Yes or no?

Most of you already know just how simple it is to tell if a bike has ABS brakes, but I put this together just in case some folks don't yet know. Includes how to tell on a Harley (which is quite different - go figure). Personally, I hope they add ABS to the 900 for 2020, but that's just me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else wish the 900 came with an ABS option? Or is it just me...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:46 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
It's probably just a matter of time before all new bikes are required to have ABS. I rode a 900 for 10 years. I now have a Vaquero with ABS. It took me a little while to get used to it because I have a tendency to stay on the brakes a bit as I corner and you can feel the front let go at about 10 mph. But like MC Rider says, you should really only feel a difference when you need it. So far I haven't needed it, but it's good to know I have it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJB View Post
It's probably just a matter of time before all new bikes are required to have ABS. I rode a 900 for 10 years. I now have a Vaquero with ABS. It took me a little while to get used to it because I have a tendency to stay on the brakes a bit as I corner and you can feel the front let go at about 10 mph. But like MC Rider says, you should really only feel a difference when you need it. So far I haven't needed it, but it's good to know I have it.
I've heard a rumor that the 2020 Vulcan 900 will offer ABS as an option. Not sure whether I believe it or not, but I'm hopeful.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:57 AM

Year/Make/Model: '09 V900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: dead stock
Color: Plasma blue
ABS has been required in the EU for several years. I have it on a couple of other bikes and value it greatly for the backup resistance to a lock-up at the wrong time. I will say that without it, the Vulcan 900 suffers safety-wise on worn tires... a fresh sticky set really adds to the traction budget available for turning and hard stops. Skill at progressive braking adds a lot to stopping power. But ABS would be great on the bike. I think N. America will have it soon by regulation.

I've never had an off because of locking up the brakes on a bike, but all it takes is the right puddle of oil, antifreeze or horse s**t in exactly the wrong place, and wham... at least when going fairly straight, ABS will get you through a lot of those places when you might not have let off the brakes fast enough with a sudden trip through zero traction.

Last edited by Sonny; 05-04-2019 at 01:05 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:38 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
he started yelling and screaming, come on bike go, go, dam it he screamed, That was a guy infront of our motel yelling at his bike stopped in the middle of the highway as a transport truck came barrelling down on him, ya ABS right, we helped him with his abs bike on the ferry, he has problems with the front caliper so my friend did a make-shift fix for his to keep going when we got off the ferry, ya abs right, once one wheel detects a problem the whole braking system wants to lock up which he experienced 1st hand, ya abs right, your method may vary

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:21 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black & Chrome
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by btom View Post
he started yelling and screaming, come on bike go, go, dam it he screamed, That was a guy infront of our motel yelling at his bike stopped in the middle of the highway as a transport truck came barrelling down on him, ya ABS right, we helped him with his abs bike on the ferry, he has problems with the front caliper so my friend did a make-shift fix for his to keep going when we got off the ferry, ya abs right, once one wheel detects a problem the whole braking system wants to lock up which he experienced 1st hand, ya abs right, your method may vary
I'd still rather have abs. The odds of having a caliper seize from an abs malfunction is very slim. I would bet there was other variable in play for that situation

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:57 PM

Year/Make/Model: '09 V900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: dead stock
Color: Plasma blue
It's the first I've ever heard anything about ABS seizing a caliper.

ABS is a fused system. Remove the fuse, the system is disabled.

With a wheel sensor or other failure, the default behavior is, the ABS light flashes and the system is disabled. An error code is written to the OBD.

It sounds like btom's friend had a seized caliper piston.

Last edited by Sonny; 05-04-2019 at 02:01 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btom View Post
Your one example doesn't stack up well vs. the thousands of instances where ABS has saved the day.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:22 PM
Top Contributor

It would seem to me that ABS would be good on a VN900 but it is most useful in hard and emergency stop situations. I ride so that I try to avoid those but sometimes hard stop situations occur when unexpected. If ABS on both wheels is activated by braking on only one wheel that would be useful in emergency stops.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode