2006 vulcan 900lt - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

2006 vulcan 900lt

Just bought a 2006 900 lt classic. The first thing i noticed on the ride home was the speedometer Reads way too fast. Is there a fix for that? And it only took about 30 minutes and my butt was sore. So the first thing is a new seat. Coming from a 2009 harley electra glide which I could ride all day and not have the end of my spine killing me. So anybody have recommendations on which seat I should look at. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:51 PM
Top Contributor

Congrats on your '06 900 LT Classic. With my '07 I have no problem with the OEM seat - a vast improvement over those seats on the sport bikes I have had previously. Using the Search box near the top of this page will yield a number of answers regarding alternative seats. My speedo reads 60 mph when the actual road speed is 55 mph - I simply allow for that when riding. The plus is that if one uses the actual displayed speedo reading in reference to the posted speed limit the rider will not get a speeding citation, but the negative is that following drivers may want run over the 900 rider!

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:12 AM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
Congrats on the '06 900! Great year for a great bike, I know!

I have the Mustang seat on mine. I can't say enough good things about it. It looks great and I can ride all day comfortably. Damn good when you consider I have a lower and upper back injury.

And the speedo query; Much has been said concerning this topic. Search it like @Hot Cruiser said and you will be rewarded with plenty of reading material!

I considered installing the resistor as per some posters on the forum. It's not a big deal for me as I am an Electronics tech by trade. I decided not to alter the speedo for a few reasons.

The indicated speed puts me slightly under the posted limit. Good for avoiding tickets. This in turn allows me to spend my money on mods.

I use my Samsung S8 as a primary instrument on my bike. (Music, Intercom, Navigation, Phone, Trip Recorder...etc) The GPS Nav gives me a very accurate speed indication regardless of my current configuration.

Even after altering the speedo it still won't be spot on. Just closer.

Tire size will slightly alter your actual speed indication as well.

The '06 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt came out and I fell in love with it. I knew I would own one some day. I felt very lucky the day I found and bought mine.

It's such a wonderful bike. There are so many after market mods available. Buffy never fails to capture a lot of attention wherever she goes. She is quite the head turner.

Welcome to the 900 Classic Club. May your journey be filled with ooohs and ahhhs. And just remember this; there may be a lot of chrome out there...but there is never too much chrome out there.
GFISH likes this.

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:54 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic, 1991 Honda 750 NightHawk
Displacement/CC's: 900, 750
Color: Red and Black
Cool Sheep Skin seat cover

Stock seat is bad - I bought a sheep skin seat cover on Amazon about $50 makes a big difference - or you could spend $300 plus for a Mustang seat.

Speedometer read 5 miles fast Leave to like it Live with it!!!

Shinko 230 Tour Master Tires Rear tire 180/70-15 Front tire 130/90-16
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I see the Mustang seat looks good to me. Been reading about them and someone said that to get full advantage of the backrest that I would need pull backs which is a new term for me. I am 5" 11" and I can see that all leaned back and comfortable the bars as they are now would be to far away. Anyone know about what size I should get and where to get them. I prefer not to do any drilling or other mods. Just something made for the bike. From past experience I know I won't ride the bike much if i am not comfortable. Thanks for any input.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:13 PM

Color: Red
Garage
I'm 5' 7" and have the Mustang seat and went with a 4" riser w/ a 2" pullback. I bought one made for Harley's so I had to buy an adapter for the mounting bolts, but altogether a very easy mod that put me in the sweet spot. This bike is so comfortable for me its like it was custom ordered.

Welcome to the club and keep the rubber side down.

Gone are the days we stop to decide where we should go, we just ride.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:42 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Blue/Silver
I just replaced my 2006 seat with an Ultimate seat, backrest, and sissy bar pad. I can now ride all day without my behind killing me. I had an Ultimate on my previous bike and would choose the Ultimate or the Russell Day Long seats if you can handle the price.

Life is short, my friends. Live it well and love all you can.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

I just thought the Mustang seat was pricey but the ultimate is astronomical. You know these aftermarket seat makers could learn something from the Harley seats. There is a hole in the seat right in the middle where the back meets the bottom. Looking at it you would think it was for water drainage. Your tail bone goes right over that hole and floats in mid air. That and the back rest makes it possible to ride till you need gas. The ultimate maybe the best seat but man it is high. Still wondering about the riser, can you get one made for the 900 and if not could you give me some part numbers Gman?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:22 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2006 900 LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Blue and silver
Garage
Yes the seats are not very comfortable. People often change them.

2006 Vulcan 900 LT. Blue/Silver
Mods:
Partial Debaffle of exhaust
Crash bars
Custom grips
Passenger floor boards
Chrome radiator grill
Baron Big Air kit
Memphis Shades lowers
Michelin Commander II tires

Last edited by Zzman; 05-03-2019 at 09:49 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:04 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
I had the Mustang Vintage Wide Touring seat on my 900 Custom for 9 yrs (40,000 miles - no backrest). The day I sold it, it still looked and felt brand new. The covering they use (it's not leather) really holds up to the weather (my bike was covered in the winters but never garaged) and their foam is really comfortable, but never seems to loose it's memory. I never left butt prints in it that lasted more than a few minutes after getting off. I liked it so much that when I bought my Vaquero I ordered the seat before I brought the bike home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode