Damned squeaking belt.. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Angry Damned squeaking belt..

I had this 900 for a year, coming the latter part of July... I have been plagued by the "squeaking belt" syndrome since I bought it. I've loosened the belt, realigned it, sprayed silicone spray on it and God only knows what else....It has me driven around the bend. There seems to be normal wear on it and it's in good shape...no cracks, no embedded debris.... Can ANYONE suggest a remedy for this??? I've even thought about cleaning the whole drive with spray brake cleaner...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewazard View Post
I had this 900 for a year, coming the latter part of July... I have been plagued by the "squeaking belt" syndrome since I bought it. I've loosened the belt, realigned it, sprayed silicone spray on it and God only knows what else....It has me driven around the bend. There seems to be normal wear on it and it's in good shape...no cracks, no embedded debris.... Can ANYONE suggest a remedy for this??? I've even thought about cleaning the whole drive with spray brake cleaner...
Don't use brake cleaner if its the crap that's not safe for rubber.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 12:02 AM

has the front overdrive pulley ever been changed? Is it worse in cool/cold weather?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 03:49 AM
Top Contributor

Check your pulley alignment.

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Well fellas, thanks for the replies...First...Haven't used the brake cleaner yet, but, IF I do it will be rubber compatible..Second.. The front pulley has been changed(Scootworks) by me and torqued to spec.....at the time of change there was no appreciable difference in "chirping" as some put it. The speed that this occurs is mostly the same, more often just after 60-70 kph and just after 85-95 kph...at 100 up, there is no perceived problem. Cold temps affect it marginally(lowers the speed). Third....I have aligned and realigned this bloody belt so many times every time my torque wrench sees me coming it hides.....The funny thing is I have used a caliper depth gauge to measure axle position(about a quarter mill in the difference) before torquing and the belt still squeaks and sometimes migrates from outside the rear pulley to the inside......even though the castle nut side has been positioned to be just a bit further out to keep the belt on the outside of the rear drive...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Top Contributor

Wow, that must be driving you CRAZY!
I would seriously consider replacing the belt.

This might be a silly suggestion, but, I'll say it anyway. Underneath, where the three grease nipples are, has the bike ever been greased? I've heard of many bikes (my last included) that left the factory with no grease. This causes a "squeak" in the suspension. I wonder if this squeak could rear it's ugly head at certain speeds ergo emulating a chirping noise at speed. Stranger things have happened.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Top Contributor

Ok, I've been researching this:

Easy fix, several swear by it!
Grab a stick/bar of paraffin wax. Rub on outside edge of entire belt.
Apparently this quickly alleviates any squeak/squeal/chirping.
GOOD LUCK!

Oh, btw, Evidently one of the most significant causes that most people miss is the rear wheel being "untrue".
Spoke tightening and truing the rear wheel brings the rear pulley back in alignment. Have you checked this?

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.

Last edited by silenthill; 07-02-2009 at 07:22 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

I like this site!!! It's alive with "thinking" people(well most of the time)!!! I did consider replacing the belt...It might be a warranty thing?? As for the suspension, I've not noticed any anomalies like "wiggle" and even when I coast the squeaking vanishes.....The roads around here are similar to dirt roads with road tar(sic). They ARE paved but one should be sharp with steering, other wise you'll find yourself at the bottom of a deep hole looking up.....so the suspension gets a good work out. In the mean time checking the "true" of the wheel might be a good idea. That hadn't come to mind. Barring all else I'll have to try the wax trick....Let you know the out come..Thanks again silenthill.....cheers
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Well I checked the rear wheel and that is as good as you get. Soooo! Paraffin doesn't seem to stick very well and for that reason didn't make any changes...I thought about bee's wax but didn't have enough to work with. I found in some of my electrical parts box a container of heat transfer paste. This is the stuff that is used on computer processors and integrated circuits. I figured that as it was a paste and aluminum based silicone, it may work as a lubricant, sufficient to diminish the belt squeak......well guess what!! Eureka!! With a some applied at three or four places along belt and on the pulleys I took it for a "slow" ride to spread the paste along the drive and then for a longer faster run........so far it seems to have diminished the squeal quite a bit....Don't know how long this will last or whether it will pick up debris. So far so good!! Thanks for the input silenthill!!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Top Contributor

No worries, glad to be of any help. The paraffin can be warmed with a hair dryer prior to applying. I hope the squeal diminishes. Your dilemma struck a particular chord with me (no pun intended). I drive a Crown Victoria that always had a squeal from the pulley system. After much tampering, I eventually narrowed it down to the idler pulley bearings. It squealed off and on for two years, the idler pulley was the last thing I replaced.....lol. The belt on the vn900 often comes adjusted too tight from the factory leading to premature bearing failure from the front pulley. This also causes a sqeal/chirp. You replaced the front pulley though, correct?

Good luck!
Oh btw, never use "belt dressing". I learned this the hard way. It completely destroyed my Crown's serpentine belt.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.

Last edited by silenthill; 07-02-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode