Fueling question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Fueling question

Not to ask a stupid question but the V900 is the first bike I've owned that has a little metal plate inside the fuel neck. When I refueled my other bikes I just put the nozzle in at an angle and slowly filled the tank. I could see when it was getting full. The 900 has that plate a short distance inside the neck with very little visibility to the fuel level and if you hit the plate, fuel splashes out. I guess my question is this; are you supposed to just stick the pump nozzle all the way to the boot like in your car and hope the pump shuts off before fuel shoots out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 AM

I put the nozzle just below the plate and fill very slow. I stop when the fuel is right at the plate.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:12 AM

I assume the plate is the full level, as otherwise the lock would be sitting in gas, not to mention gas being forced out at the lock is re-inserted..

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:13 AM

I assume the plate is the full level, as otherwise the lock would be sitting in gas, not to mention gas being forced out as the lock is re-inserted..
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepotter View Post
I put the nozzle just below the plate and fill very slow. I stop when the fuel is right at the plate.
this is how I refuel as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan20164 View Post
I assume the plate is the full level, as otherwise the lock would be sitting in gas, not to mention gas being forced out at the lock is re-inserted..
Also if you look closely there's an overflow tube... overfill the tank, and that's where the fuel goes- not your engine.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys

I'm curious if the pump would shut off at full like when filling a car/truck. Although not really curious enough to try it out. I'm not sure what that plate really does for us other than make refueling more difficult.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman20 View Post
Thanks guys

I'm curious if the pump would shut off at full like when filling a car/truck. Although not really curious enough to try it out. I'm not sure what that plate really does for us other than make refueling more difficult.
I stick the nozzle down in the large hole in the plate so that it is maybe 1/4 inch below the plate. I actually let the nozzle rest so that the tip is against the hole in the plate and neck is against the top of the tank. Sort of like you do with a car, but not so deep.

Then I squeeze the pump handle and it always kicks off the back pressure switch right at the bottom of the plate. The back pressure switch at all the gas stations I have visited so far is sensitive enough to stop the flow right where the tip of the nozzle meets the fuel level.

I guess if you get a nozzle with a bad switch, you are screwed, but I have only found one of those in 35 years of pumping gas. I pumped about a half gallon down the side of my Jeep before I could stop it. I did spray gas on my bike once, but it was because I was trying to be too careful and let the nozzle slip out of the hole in the plate. If you let gravity hold it, you should be good.

'07 VN900 Classic
Horsepower is an illusion.
Torque is the source of all good things.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jeep pirate..........yeah remember the good ole days when they had a latch on the gas pumps so you could pump hands free. You could make quite a mess if the switch was bad.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Top Contributor

I had a chunk of 2" PVC drain pipe left over from a home project. I cut a 1.5 inch piece, smoothed the edges and now use it to fuel up. It snaps right onto the lip of the fuel tank opening and I just inset the nozzel until it hits the plate and fuel up. When it shuts off, I remove the nozzel to a perfectly filled tank!!

Mark...Rollingbones
2011 Harley Road King FLHR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic (Sold)
American Legion Riders Post 383
Patriot Guard Riders
Sacramento Metro Fire CERT
West Fair Oaks Neighborhood Watch
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Top Contributor

I just let the pump spout rest against the side of the large hole, and aim down thru the small hole... this way I can see the fuel rise up in the tank, and allows me to fill it a little fuller if I need to... but you do have to have a steady hand.

~Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode