Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Idle

4K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  jbiggers 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2007 Vulcan 900 classic LT the bike runs great only thing that kinda worries me is that when i start it it doesn’t have a high idle. It’ll start with an idle of about 800 rpm and as it warms up it’ll get to 1000 rpm. What could be wrong that it doesn’t have a high idle at start up? Is it something to worry about?

#4 ·
OK. Then its fine.
I had a car that didn't have a high idle either. and it would start and idle fine even at extreme low temps.
As I stated the computer controls the idle speed, and your saving your engine by NOT having it run at a high idle at start up!
Nothing wrong with it.

#19 ·
The black knob on the outside controls the hot idle. To the to the high idle you have to take off the air box and twist the throttle. Only them you can get a Phillips head to adjust. On mine I had to pretty much unscrew it all the way in order to get it to idle a bit higher than the hot idle. My high idle is at about 1250. Only thing I don’t know how accurate my rpm reader is.

#20 ·
My Classic does the same thing.
Start cold idle is lower than the warm idle.
Always idles upwards

#21 ·
i figured mine out I thought it was doing that as well. I took it to a local shop for help on putting my rpm gauge on the right setting it being one with a lead wire. I had it on the wrong setting and what I thought was 1000 rpm was actually 2000 so my starting idle was 850 meaning it was right on start up and when it was warming up it would go up instead of down because my warm idle was higher than my start up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.