Power/Starter Issue with 2009 Custom Edition - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By FrySauceTerminal
  • 1 Post By Ricksza
  • 1 Post By sfair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Vulcan 900 CE
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Red
Power/Starter Issue with 2009 Custom Edition

Hello:
Three years ago I bought a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom--it's been great over time but I'm suddenly having a recurring power issue. I changed the battery about 1 year ago so I don't suspect that's the problem. I drove it to work the other day and unfortunately left it uncovered during a rain storm, which I suspect has something to do with this. When I turn the motorcycle on, the power comes up, the light goes on, and everything looks normal. As soon as I press the starter, the power dies immediately with none of the typical "dying battery" buzz or any other sound. If I let it rest, I can turn the key again and get the power to come back up, but the engine won't start at all.

I took the battery out to charge and it was almost entirely full. Today I took apart the box that contains the starter switch and horn, but there is no physical damage nor sign of any sparks or burns inside. I'm a bit stumped at this point. I would really appreciate some help getting back on the road!
lightcs1776 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:26 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki 900 Custom
Color: Burnt Orange
Garage
I had a similar problem after I washed my bike. I took the starter switch apart, cleaned the contacts and coated them with dielectric grease. Haven't had any problem since.
FrySauceTerminal likes this.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
"WHAT A RIDE!"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:34 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
The only time I've had this problem it was a bad battery. Have it checked under load. Mine was only 3 months old when it failed. Never had the issue come up again in 15k miles and it has spent a lot of time in the rain. I don't have a garage.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:50 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600D
Displacement/CC's: 1552
Color: Blue / Silver
Garage
Sounds like a potential short somewhere, due to the water. Just a guess, of course.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600D (purchased Aug, 2018).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 09:46 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrySauceTerminal View Post
Hello:

I took the battery out to charge and it was almost entirely full.
1. How do you know that?
2. A short would blow a fuse.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Vulcan 900 CE
Color: Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
1. How do you know that?
2. A short would blow a fuse.
I took the battery out and hooked it up to a trickle charger and it was back at full strength in an hour or two. I've had the battery completely die and it took much, much longer to get back up.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:57 AM
Top Contributor

Sorry, but those trickle charger indications are not a sign of a good battery.
You have to take it in and have a proper load test done.
Or, if that is not possible and you have a meter, we could do a quick and dirty one here.
FrySauceTerminal likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:56 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
Load test - definitely!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 30,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:52 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Color: Sparkle Black and Titanium
Garage
Agreed, it needs a load test. AutoZone and other places can do it, some for free. I'm not sure what this has to do with getting the bike wet, could be a coincidence I suppose.

Quick story. When I found my 900 on cycle traders, we drove from DFW to a Houston dealer to get it. When we got there, they had it outside all cleaned up on display. After about 10 minutes though, a gully washer (very heavy rain) started, and no one wanted to go out in that rain to get the bike under cover. So it just sat there until the rain stopped. Picked it up and started home the next morning, after an oil change. Never had a starting problem with it though.

Last edited by jbiggers; 02-25-2019 at 05:08 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:29 AM

Year/Make/Model: '09 vn900b & '92 vn1500a
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrySauceTerminal View Post
Hello:
Three years ago I bought a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom--it's been great over time but I'm suddenly having a recurring power issue. I changed the battery about 1 year ago so I don't suspect that's the problem. I drove it to work the other day and unfortunately left it uncovered during a rain storm, which I suspect has something to do with this. When I turn the motorcycle on, the power comes up, the light goes on, and everything looks normal. As soon as I press the starter, the power dies immediately with none of the typical "dying battery" buzz or any other sound. If I let it rest, I can turn the key again and get the power to come back up, but the engine won't start at all.

I took the battery out to charge and it was almost entirely full. Today I took apart the box that contains the starter switch and horn, but there is no physical damage nor sign of any sparks or burns inside. I'm a bit stumped at this point. I would really appreciate some help getting back on the road!
j

clean & tighten battery +\- connections ascwell as your main ground connection.

remember for every mile of highway, there are two miles of ditch...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode