• 1 Post By gosupes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki vn 900
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Red
Lifts

Hi peeps
Need some feedback , Iíve bought a lift for my 2007 vn900 it works fine itís just big and cumbersome,
When I had a Ajs 350 ( a lot lighter ) I had 2 one went under front fork the other under rear swing arm .
But even with this lighter bike ( Ajs 350 ) the rear one collapsed. Just wondering what you guys ( & girls)
weíre using. Thanks ride safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 04:22 PM

I started out looking at this concept (U-Build jacks) like this:

After checking that out for 30-seconds...I went to my machinist/welder/fabricator buddy and had him build me a metal version of this concept with 1.5" square tubing and a nice covered roller on top for the bike frame - and a removable 4' matching handle.

Lots of folks go with a hydraulic lift - and use hockey pucks (or other spacers) to level things up on the frame.

The trick is to pick the centre balance point - or if you are working on the rear wheel, pick a balance point slightly to the rear of the centre balance...you get the idea.

Then, ratchet-strap the bike to the jack over the frame (once you remove the seat). Safety first!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:54 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage

I have something similar to this. I couldn't see doing a 2x6 setup like in the previous video, I wanted something under the frame rails and not the engine and not a lever or fulcrum system. These jacks are stable as hell. I was actually sitting on mine while it was on the jack while I was adjusting the new fairing alignment. It help if you have an electric or air impact to drive the screw rather than the hand tool they provide. Otherwise, they are inexpensive and work good.
RickD likes this.

Rules to live by:

Never trust a fart after a night of fast food.
Never take a laxative and a sleeping aid on the same night.
When riding, wear gear you don't mind having a wreck in.
Don't ride above your skill level.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:19 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan VN2000A
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: metallic blue
Garage
i just bought the motorcycle jack from harbor freight for $80. works great.

Life. Nobody gets out alive.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:38 AM

Year/Make/Model: 07 900 Classic ,O5 1500 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 900, 1500
Color: Red... Black
Garage
I've got the harbor freight 1000lb table lift and a roll around ATVs and motorcycle jack . I have to use an adapter on my 1500
To get the bike to sit level on the rollaround jack. I haven't checked ,does the 900 engine stick below the frame rails like the 1500 or not? It's in my buddies garage right now for the Feb monsoons. I would like to have one of the screw type jacks for the lift table. Where do you get those?

"When all is said and done there's usually more said than done" unknown

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson AKA Old Dog ,Tater. RIP old friend
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:29 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Vulcan Classic
Color: Metallic Titanium
Quick question- are jacks like the Extreme Max in the photo made to support a bike for long periods of time (winter storage), or just for temporary use such as maintenance like oil changes. Looking to maybe get one for the winter and want to make sure it won’t fail over time.

Thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:32 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 VN900B
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosupes View Post

I have something similar to this. I couldn't see doing a 2x6 setup like in the previous video, I wanted something under the frame rails and not the engine and not a lever or fulcrum system. These jacks are stable as hell. I was actually sitting on mine while it was on the jack while I was adjusting the new fairing alignment. It help if you have an electric or air impact to drive the screw rather than the hand tool they provide. Otherwise, they are inexpensive and work good.
I have one identical in design and it works great for routine maintenance and cleaning. A ratchet wrench works good, too. I trashed the "stand-offs" (the black thingys on the lifting surface), and substituted two pieces of 1x4 about 4" long with a piece of rubber mat (app. 1/8" thick) glued to one side. You need something like this because the engine protrudes downward beyond flush with the frame. You'll also likely need a piece of 2x4 to slip under the kickstand to get the low side up high enough to slide in the lift. If you play with it some, find the center of gravity and mark it (I used and electrical tie around the chasis), it will make subsequent uses quick and easy. Makes cleaning rims/spokes a breeze.

On the other hand I don't think I would consider using it for wheel removal. Just me.

Chrome saves lives.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:50 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan Custom
Color: Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
I have one identical in design and it works great for routine maintenance and cleaning. A ratchet wrench works good, too. I trashed the "stand-offs" (the black thingys on the lifting surface), and substituted two pieces of 1x4 about 4" long with a piece of rubber mat (app. 1/8" thick) glued to one side. You need something like this because the engine protrudes downward beyond flush with the frame. You'll also likely need a piece of 2x4 to slip under the kickstand to get the low side up high enough to slide in the lift. If you play with it some, find the center of gravity and mark it (I used and electrical tie around the chasis), it will make subsequent uses quick and easy. Makes cleaning rims/spokes a breeze.

On the other hand I don't think I would consider using it for wheel removal. Just me.
I have used it for removing wheels without issue, you just have to slide it forward or back depending on which wheel you are removing. I actually left the saddles on, once adjusted for the frame rail width, it's pretty convenient for my needs and you don't have to worry about the bike sliding off the jack. I use a speed wrench with a long extension for raising and lowering. Sometimes when I am feeling lazy I will grab the air impact.

Rules to live by:

Never trust a fart after a night of fast food.
Never take a laxative and a sleeping aid on the same night.
When riding, wear gear you don't mind having a wreck in.
Don't ride above your skill level.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:38 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom
Color: Black and White
Garage
I have the same one as in the picture posted by gosupes . The official Kawasaki service manual suggests a similar one as a purchasable tool with it's own item number (at a ripoff price I'm sure).

Charlie

2016 Vulcan 900 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode