Continuation of models after upgrades - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Sparkle Black and Titanium
Garage
There are models such as the Suzuki S40, which have had a very long life. It's been in production since 1986 as the LS650, then changed to the Boulevard S40 in 2005. It started life with a 4 speed tranny, then received a 5 speed in 1993. The bike is still in production all these years later.

Now to the Vulcan 900. I think most of us would agree the Vulcan 900 really only lacks 2 things. It could use a 6th gear that would take the engine to around 3000 rpm at 60 miles per hour, and it could use ABS or a linked braking system to ease the braking requirements for the rider.

So my question is, does anyone think that adding these 2 modifications, would extend the production life of the Vulcan 900, in the same way that adding an extra gear extended the production life of the S40?

Last edited by jbiggers; 01-16-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:51 AM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
No, I don't think so.

The Cruiser lifestyle is slowly dying. And since the 900 is a Cruiser...

So, unless the fountain of youth is discovered I don't see the production life of the 900 extended...IMHO.

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:41 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700 cc
Color: Candy Cardinal Red
Garage
I have no data to support this idea, but I believe we'll see the cruiser market revived in a few years. Right now a large percentage of cruiser riders are getting on in years and the upcoming generation is hung up on sport bikes and urban warriors. But that's because they're still young. As they age they'll start slowing down, taking in the sites and become more interested in comfort and less interesting is raw speed, in other words "cruising". But I guess we'll have to watch and see.

About 6th gear. I wouldn't want to see it on the 900. I think one of the highlights of this bike is that you can ride all day, from 35 mph to 105 mph without needing to shift gears. That makes for a very relaxing ride. My Vaquero (1700cc) has a 6 speed and I'm constantly downshift for hills and passing. Probably twice as often as I needed to on the 900. The Vaquero can get away with the higher gearing because its peak power is at around 2400 rpm (but 6th puts the engine at only 2000 at 60 mph). The 900 doesn't hit peak until 3600. Dropping the rpm too much at highway speed and you won't be able to fight the wind.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:38 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2006
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Red/black
Garage
I'm not a businessman but I'd imagine the 900 has maybe 6 to 8 more production years before Kawasaki either integrates big changes to it or discontinues it in favor of the next new thing. My 750 enjoyed 20 - 21 years of production virtually unchanged. Kawasaki decided to come out with a new bike (the 900) rather than swap the carbs out for fuel injection on their proven 750. The 750 is a low-tech machine, completely old-school, one step newer than having to foot crank it to start it. For its time it was chock full of niceties but its time passed. The same passing of the torch is coming for the 900.

That, and changing laws on things such as emissions spelled the end of the 750 Vulcan. It was easier and more profitable to sell an entirely new machine. The 900 will be hitting 20 years old in a handful of years from now. What will the future hold for the entire concept of cruising? What laws will come out that would directly affect motorcycles? I'm more concerned with those things than the age of the current day cruiser population. I agree with Steve in that natural breeding will re-populate the cruising community eventually.

I wonder what would happen if MPG efficiency becomes a political issue. What would happen if suddenly motorcycles were required to extend their MPG by 20% or more for instance? If such a thing passed then I'd imagine its back to the drawing board and design all new bikes from scratch.

I know this next analogy doesn't have any direct correlation to military equipment but consider this: When I retired out of the USAF there were certain fighters that were top-of-the-line stuff. The F-15 and F-16 were hot machines capable of taking care of business. Today they're damned near obsolete. Generation 4 aircraft they are called. Stealth is the new requirement and fighters coming off the production lines now are considered Generation 5 machines.

I submit that everything in production today can be likened to Generation 4 motorcycles (Not sure how I'd break-down previous generations. Maybe my 750 is a Generation 3.). The days are nearing where new Generation 5s will be required to even keep motorcycles on the road at all.

So no, I would expect to see the 900 simply be discontinued rather than expect any major changes.

Chris Cochran
Retired USAF '74 to '95 AMMO
Engine guard with highway pegs
Luggage rack
GPS on RAM handlebar mount
MCCTs replaced ACCTs
Iridium plugs: DPR7EIX-9
Custom made seat (verrry comfortable)
LED turn signals with rear signals relocated
LED license plate holder
Hard mounted Viking saddlebags
Hard mounted fork tool bag (free from Viking)
LED running lights on custom light bar
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:48 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2006
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Red/black
Garage
Incidentally, I kind of like that my 750 was discontinued. My '06 is a representative of the last year they were made. As such, now, some 13ish years later, you don't see many of them. I like showing up at some gathering and being the only example of the breed there. The bike is different from the rest of the herd both in appearance and in technology.

Eventually those 900 riders will feel the same effect.

Unless legislators so legislate our machines off the road entirely, they'll just keep successfully rolling down the road as they've always done.

Chris Cochran
Retired USAF '74 to '95 AMMO
Engine guard with highway pegs
Luggage rack
GPS on RAM handlebar mount
MCCTs replaced ACCTs
Iridium plugs: DPR7EIX-9
Custom made seat (verrry comfortable)
LED turn signals with rear signals relocated
LED license plate holder
Hard mounted Viking saddlebags
Hard mounted fork tool bag (free from Viking)
LED running lights on custom light bar
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I personally think adding a 6th gear and adding ABS (or linked braking) (and how about fixing that seat) would make the 900 just about the perfect cruiser bike. I agree with SteveJB, in that adding a cruise only 6th gear, as in the Vaquero or Voyager, could be an issue. That's why I was suggesting something in the 3000 rpm range, where fairly strong torque is still available. Only computer modeling or road testing against a representative set of hills, could determine the best overall gear ratio for a highway cruising 6th gear.

There is also a parallel to the S40 in that some see the 900 as a good "starter" bike. I know as a returning rider coming back to riding after 40 years off motorcycles, the 900 was the perfect choice for me. The appeal was the right combination of ease of controlling the bike (would be even easier with an advanced braking system), the low maintenance and reliability, and enough heft so I wouldn't outgrow it right away without it being too heavy.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Top Contributor

I'm one of those who has been riding for 50 years, all of those on sports bikes until I switched to the cruiser-type 900 LT in '07 for comfort. It's actually a sort of compromise since it still can be used as an almost sports-type machine to negotiate our twisty mountain roads but is reasonably happy as a straight road cruiser. Agree that a 6th gear would be useful. Now it seems that newer riders here are more into dual use sports-dirt bikes as much as it is possible to obtain machines which can do both. Cruiser riders here also tend to be getting older and some cruiser friends here have given up riding altogether. The old idea of getting a cruiser to get better fuel mileage is no longer valid since a number of cars now can better many cruisers regarding mileage and generally are more convenient. Yet overall, it does appear that motorcycle riding needs and habits are cyclic.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:56 AM

900 Upgrades

If the 900 continues in production I think the only upgrades needed are self canceling turn signals and a better seat.

John
2007 900 Custom
Plasma Blue
Oxford, MI
VROC 25948
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hot Cruiser said:
Quote:
Now it seems that newer riders here are more into dual use sports-dirt bikes as much as it is possible to obtain machines which can do both.
Interesting. This reminds me of all the motor vehicle purchasers who buy SUVs, because they want something that's roomy (sensible) and because they can go off-road. But how many of these people ACTUALLY take their SUVs off-road? Not many. They just want the ability to go off-road, you know, just in case. Some car companies are cutting production of sedans, just to meet this so-called need. Are motorcycle manufactures chasing the same dream?

Last edited by jbiggers; 01-18-2019 at 02:29 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode