Changing spark plugs - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Question Changing spark plugs

I'm wanting to change the spark plugs on by 900 classic lt. Does any body have pictures of how to tale off the gas tank and perform this procedure. I thought I seen it on here once.
Also, my tread on my back tire is bald right in the middle but closer to the sides is good, should I get a new tire? it has about 11000 miles on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
I'll let the other guys answer about the plugs, i haven't done that yet... too new.
As far as the tire is concerned: yes, replace it. You'll be suprised when you see the amount of rubber on the new tire compared to your bald one and how nice it feels to drive on.

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helek_52 View Post
I'll let the other guys answer about the plugs, i haven't done that yet... too new.
As far as the tire is concerned: yes, replace it. You'll be suprised when you see the amount of rubber on the new tire compared to your bald one and how nice it feels to drive on.
Thanks for the comeback, got an appointment tom

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 04:00 AM
Top Contributor

Go to the rear of the tank and remove the bolts, then just tilt the tank forward and block it up with a piece of wood. YOu should be able to reach the plugs using the provided wrench. As for the tire, invest a couple of bucks in a tread depth gauge. At 2mm of tread, the manual says you're good for speeds up to 80 mph. However, once you reach that depth, the rest wears kinda quick. If you have a narrow strip right in the middle of the rear, I'm guessing you don't do a lot of roads with twists/turns?

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Go to the rear of the tank and remove the bolts, then just tilt the tank forward and block it up with a piece of wood. YOu should be able to reach the plugs using the provided wrench. As for the tire, invest a couple of bucks in a tread depth gauge. At 2mm of tread, the manual says you're good for speeds up to 80 mph. However, once you reach that depth, the rest wears kinda quick. If you have a narrow strip right in the middle of the rear, I'm guessing you don't do a lot of roads with twists/turns?
Nope, not to many roads like that in Indiana. You don't have to remove the speadometer at all? Ok I'll try it , thanks
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 10:37 AM

Cool plugs

why lift the tank? Changed mine 5 times --just pull the wire off, (carefully) change the plugs---be sure to check / set gap---antisieze on the plug threads works well--don't get the anti seize on the electrode

shortdog
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Top Contributor

YOu must have a ton of miles on that 900 to have changed plugs 5 times.

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 04:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to cruiser331
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortdog View Post
why lift the tank? Changed mine 5 times --just pull the wire off, (carefully) change the plugs---be sure to check / set gap---antisieze on the plug threads works well--don't get the anti seize on the electrode

shortdog
Just letting others know that a little anti-seize goes a long way. Don't brush it on until you can't see threads. Just a little drop and wipe it around. I rarely use it anymore to be honest.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT hued in Luminous Polaris Blue and Atomic Silver ~ named T'Pol ~
Having left space dock for another home planet, a 94 Vulcan 750, named Surak, Wine and Black Cherry
Recently added a sweet 2008 Nomad to my Vulcan galaxy, she is RED and BLACK named T'mere
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
get iridium plugs too. They should be the last plugs you would put in this bike. Get a Metzeler ME880 tire. I love mine. Had them on my last two bikes, they cost more, but they last longer and have good traction. I don't know how big you can go on this bike. I would like to move up to 200. I have heard of guys going with 230 but they have do a fender mod.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350