Cobra Fi2000 'power commander' - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Cobra Fi2000 'power commander'

So I got my 'new' 900 yesterday. It has a Cobra Fi2000 fuel whatever. I don't know what the name of the device is but is basically a power commander. I think the bike has Cobra pipes, they look just like Cobra pipes. Any how wondering if anybody else has one and knows how to adjust it. It doesn't use usb maps, it has little plastic screws you adjust. Three of them.

Also I am not sure if I have a different air filter then factory. I took it out and it is orange like K&N, but it is just a slide in. So I am not sure. I didn't see anything on it that said K&N. Also when I took it out there was oil dripping from the bottom of the air filter box, is that normal?

I am probably going to have a lot of questions of this bike. I have never had FI on a bike, and this thing has alot of extras. And the PO wasn't the PO who put them on. Its crazy the bike is a 07, the PO traded it last year in Sept. He only had it a year, put on 1500 miles. So the 1st owner only prob had it 6 months and tricked it out. He bought a standard custom. And put on all the Kawi parts to make it a LT, then added the light bar with the lips, the chrome moon for the front hub, chrome fender lip, crash bar, with kuri pegs, Cobra speedster longs, Cobra FI2000, some chrome air cleaner. Put probably 2-3k of parts in it, then sold it.

I got it for 5999 plus taxes, and the PO before me traded for about 5499. I think I got the better end of the whole bargin, then anybody else.

eLi
South of the Twin Cities.
Ride the river.
'07 900 Classic "turned LT"
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Hard Krome 3" Big Straights (45-8025)
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Speedo fixer in back (170)
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350

Last edited by Jace Bror; 06-07-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Forgot pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Top Contributor

You got a great looking ride there. To address some of your questions:

1. If those are Cobra pipes, you'll be able to read the name at the top of the upper pipe. It's very visible while just looking at them. Cobras also have a crossover between the pipes which I don't believe the others do. If the Cobra logo isn't on the pipe, then you have either Roadburners or HK's.

2. Your fuelpak is the Cobra Fi2000. From the photo, it's set exactly as it came from the factory at 4-2-0. That is supposedly correct for a stock bike. With pipes only, it's actually not even needed, but as long as the bike runs good and the mileage is where it should be, I wouldn't mess with it. However, if you add an aftermarket intake it will need adjusting, most likely to 2-2-1 or possibly 2-1-1. These are the most common settings among people with pipes/intake.

3. Your air filter is stock Kawasaki. K&N doesn't make an aftermarket filter for the 900 as the stock intake is rather restrictive. To up the performance of your new ride, add a new intake ($180-$280) and readjust the fuelpak.

4. The small amount of oil in your a/c is normal. Check your oil level. It should be BETWEEN the lines on the glass. If it's been slightly overfilled you could have a little more oil in the a/c. Reason is that your crankcase breather hose is attached to the back of the a/c. Hard acceleration running when it's overfilled a bit will put more up there. If you're just cruzin' around it shouldn't do much. If the oil in there bothers you, add a breather filter.

Real gun control is having the ability to hit your target.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jimbo; 06-08-2009 at 04:29 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Yeah it is set to those settings. I can't find anything anywhere that says cobra on those pipes, but they sure look like them. I will have to look for the crossover pipe. I kinda figured that was the case with the oil. Are the kawi filters cleanable?

eLi
Ride the river.
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Well after looking around a bunch I can't tell what these pipes are. They sure look like Cobra's but they don't have the logo and the crossover pipe. and the close up shots dont show.
I am waiting to hear back from the 1st owner, to find out what they put on this thing overall.

eLi
Ride the river.
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 04:02 AM
Top Contributor

Just from looking at your pipes, I'd say they're Hard Khrome's. You might check their website. The Cobra logo would be on the top of the upper pipe about 3-4" in from the tip.
While you could probably blow out your Kawi air filter, if it were me I'd replace it with a new one. It's up to you....I think they're about $27.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Thing is that the hard khrome site says they should have their logo on them. these pipes have no logo at all

eLi
Ride the river.
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Top Contributor

OK then....Roadburners? Tried their website, but it hasn't changed since I was pipe shopping.....hardly any of the photos come through, but there are a few.

http://www.roadburner.com/ExhaustMen...Year=2006-2008

Last edited by Jimbo; 06-09-2009 at 11:41 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
I got a name for the first owner, so I am gonna try to get ahold of him and see. Its weird the dealer who put them on knew they put something on, but had no record of what they were.

eLi
Ride the river.
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 04:18 AM
Top Contributor

I did some looking, and it looks like you may have the Roadburner Pros. It's the only pipe they have that I can find that stretches back that far. I agree they look just like Cobras, but I'm stumped. Let us know what you find.

http://www.meancycles.com/Home.asp?P...er&CompanyID=0

This url shows the 3" Roadburner Pros with SLT (sound lowering technology). Slightly different tips on these.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
Well I can't find the guys phone number, so maybe when I go to that dealer and have them do the recall check on the tank, I can get the number from them, if they have it.

I doubt these are the roadburners in that link, they look a little different. And I don't think there is any thing sound lower in them. They are pretty loud. At least compared to what I was riding.

I haven't played with the pots on that thing. But I think something is running a little high cuz I can smell fuel sometimes coming out of the exhaust, which means it is running 'rich"? I know when I first got the bike after it would warm up and the idle drops down it would almost die, so i turned up the idle adjustment screw on the front of the intake once the bike was warm. Since I don't have a tach I don't think it is idling very high, but if I went too high would that give me the fuel smell when driving?

eLi
Ride the river.
Cobra Fi2000
Kury HyperCharger
Metzeler WhiteWalls
Fuel Gauge resistor
'00 Vulcan 750 (SOLD)
'73 Honda CL350