Shifter linkage - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 87
Garage
Shifter linkage

Grrrr, what a crappy vacation this has started out to be. A beautiful day yesterday and I decide to go for a ride and check out some Voyagers/Vaqueros as I'm ready to get something bigger. Stop first at my bank to make a deposit and when I leave my shifter linkage broke off at the transmission leaving me stuck in first gear. I'm only about 3 to 4 miles from home at this point so I slowly limped it home in first gear. Naturally none of the Kawi dealers within a 25 mile radius had the part in stock so now I'm bikeless for about a week until the part is delivered. Below is a pic of the part that broke $38.00 from partzilla.com, $44.50 from the Kawi dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0840_1495065737629.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	191794  
snowtop57 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:09 PM
Top Contributor
 
revrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: syracuse ny
Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Posts: 1,487
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtop57 View Post
Grrrr, what a crappy vacation this has started out to be. A beautiful day yesterday and I decide to go for a ride and check out some Voyagers/Vaqueros as I'm ready to get something bigger. Stop first at my bank to make a deposit and when I leave my shifter linkage broke off at the transmission leaving me stuck in first gear. I'm only about 3 to 4 miles from home at this point so I slowly limped it home in first gear. Naturally none of the Kawi dealers within a 25 mile radius had the part in stock so now I'm bikeless for about a week until the part is delivered. Below is a pic of the part that broke $38.00 from partzilla.com, $44.50 from the Kawi dealer.
What the hell,that sucs
revrider is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Top Contributor
 
Hot Cruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Coastal Oregon
Posts: 1,018
That is the part that broke? - looks like it had broken at some point and someone did a Mickey Mouse welding job on it - or ???

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
Hot Cruiser is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 87
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Cruiser View Post
That is the part that broke? - looks like it had broken at some point and someone did a Mickey Mouse welding job on it - or ???
I was wondering the same thing, I'm the second owner of the bike so it could have broken before but I would think it would have been covered by the warranty. I bought this in early 2015 with 4500 miles on it, it's a 2011. my new part is supposed to be delivered tomorrow according to UPS so we will see if the new one looks the same.
snowtop57 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:51 PM
Top Contributor
 
revrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: syracuse ny
Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Posts: 1,487
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Cruiser View Post
That is the part that broke? - looks like it had broken at some point and someone did a Mickey Mouse welding job on it - or ???
Was thinkin the same,at least new part will b in soon,,,woohoooo,
revrider is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 87
Garage
Well, got the part today and it looks as crappy as the original, just shinier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923_1495253782402.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	191970  
snowtop57 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Top Contributor
 
Hot Cruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Coastal Oregon
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtop57 View Post
Well, got the part today and it looks as crappy as the original, just shinier.
If that part as shown is OEM, Kawi at some point must have revised it but why? Maybe it's for a different version or model? That part on my 900 is a straight no-bend one-piece forging with no welding. ??? Also from the original post it isn't certain just what was broken, if the new part is OEM.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
Hot Cruiser is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 87
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Cruiser View Post
If that part as shown is OEM, Kawi at some point must have revised it but why? Maybe it's for a different version or model? That part on my 900 is a straight no-bend one-piece forging with no welding. ??? Also from the original post it isn't certain just what was broken, if the new part is OEM.
Yes, it is OEM. Part #13236-0100. Mine is a 2011 Vulcan Classic SE
The rubber boot part that is circled is what broke on the original piece.

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	192154
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	192162  
snowtop57 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 03:22 AM
Top Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 918
Garage
Here's a part diagram for a 2012 900 LT. It looks exactly like the OP's.

2012 Kawasaki VULCAN 900 CLASSIC LT (VN900DCF) Gear Change Mechanism | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

Kaw used the same part# from 2006 to 2017 for all the 900 models.

EDIT: OP, the way that piece sheared off makes me think you're stomping on the shifter too hard when down shifting.

I'm gone!

Last edited by crazyriderguy; 05-21-2017 at 03:24 AM.
crazyriderguy is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 87
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyriderguy View Post

.EDIT: OP, the way that piece sheared off makes me think you're stomping on the shifter too hard when down shifting.
Actually, I was thinking I may have broken it from trying to upshift from 5th gear too many times
snowtop57 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shifter linkage Symbolofhope Vulcan 500 12 08-06-2017 01:08 AM
Shifter linkage came apart!! street325 Vulcan 2000 6 12-19-2012 05:52 PM
Shifter Linkage adjustment '09 vn900 VN Jason Vulcan 900 1 04-15-2011 01:01 AM
Removing the seat when the linkage to the lock breaks... 95llnp Vulcan 500 3 04-10-2011 09:16 PM
shifter linkage problem decavo Vulcan 500 9 02-27-2011 09:59 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome