Bike broke down last night. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Bike broke down last night.

Well as the title implies, my 2008 900 custom left me stranded on the highway with a dead battery. I just put a new battery in it yesterday and rode it to work. When I got off work I noticed it had a sluggish crank when starting it and then began to notice my lights were very dim. I got about 10 miles from work and i noticed my speedometer had stopped working as well as the lights continually getting dimmer and dimmer. I rode it as far as I could hoping to make it all the way home. luckily when it did finally die, it did so 3/8 of a mile from my exit and I was able to push it the rest of the way off of the highway. My question for yall is what do you think is the issue. Being that it is a 2008 my first thought is that the stator has bit the dust, but I have absolutely no noise coming from the left cover like most people to, also Ive never heard of people accompany a speedometer issue with the stator failure like my bike exhibited last night. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:24 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
If you put a fresh fully charged battery in the bike in the morning and by evening it no longer has enough juice to get you home, you can pretty much bet the system is not running on its own nor charging the battery. Sooo... I would do all the necessary tests on the stator to verify that as the problem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Vulcan 900 Custom - 2018 Yamaha XT250
Displacement/CC's: 900/250
Color: Candy Lime Green - Sandy Beige
Any other work or accessories added to the bike recently that could cause a drain or short to the battery?How many miles are on your bike?

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

2018 Yamaha XT250

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Top Contributor

Oooh, I would not jump to stator tests just yet.

Do you have a meter and know how to use it? No meter, we can help there too.

Post back.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 04:50 PM

Could be a bad new battery.

2016 Vulcan 900 LT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses! To answer a few questions, the bike has just shy of 18k on it, i have no electrical accessories on it but I do have a pig tail for a trickle charger that I will definitely look at when I get home. I do have a meter and am fairly competent with it. My initial thought is to go after the regulator first due to the lack of noise coming from the stator. Does this seem like the right track to start off on ?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Top Contributor

The first thing would be do a rudimentary battery and charging system check.

Post back if you need help with this/results.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Just completed what I consider a "rudimentary" check. I checked the cables at the battery, connection at the regulator, and then started the bike and put a meter across the battery and got 11.9VDC. So the bike is definitely not charging. For those of you who have had a stator go bad, how loud is the noise it makes? Nothing sounds out of the ordinary unless I put my ear up to the side cover and then I can hear a slight "whirling" sound but only with my ear pressed against the chrome cover. I took the chrome cover and listened again and the sound was much quieter. I guess it's time yo carry on with the regulator and stator checks.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:13 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2008/Kawasaki/Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Gold over White
Garage
My first stator went out at around 21k. It made the noise. The second one at about 51k. It didn't make any noise. Like your's, the only indication on the second stator was a dead battery. It's real easy to check though. Just remove the connector to the regulator, start the engine, and check for about 21vac across the back three pins. If one of the three phases are bad, it'll read 0vac.
The head light relay is connected to one of the stator phases. If the head light still lights up, it's a good bet two of the three phases are still charging. On my bike, two out of three phases are still enough to charge the battery. That makes me think it could be something else. Regulator or maybe even a fuse. The test procedure is in the maintenance manual. Kawasaki did a good job on the maintenance manual. If you don't have one, down load it from the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode