My Take on Vulcan Website and The 900 Custom - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

My Take on Vulcan Website and The 900 Custom

A little over a week ago I had a honda shadow (1st bike) and was very happy until I laid it down. I had a choice to fix or ins. aduster would total it. Fast forward to 4 days ago... I was buying a 2007 900 with 1700 miles and in excellent condition. I did my homework before buying and considered that it would be a step up from the 750.

I often visited the Honda website so decided to come here. At first I was a little concerned. However, I have found everyone very nice and helpful. I have gained some important information on my new bike and very impressed with this site. Thanks to all who have responded to my threads and posts.

Next! I took 1/2 day off. I changed oil today and cleaned the bike. Temp was 81 perfect skies and my 2 hour ride to nowhere was heaven.

This bike is not perfect. However....

Shifts better, stock seat is more comfortable than last bike, lots more power, no shaft drive jerking, a little more height so no foot peg draging on sharp turns, has a fuel gauge, pipes debaffled by po so now I am heard and seen, and 5.3 gallon tank is a welcome upgrade from a 3.7 gallon.

This is a nice looking bike. I do miss the blue but black is very cool. Gonna take some getting use to but I expect to spend many hours hitting the back roads to nowhere and enjoying life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Top Contributor

Congrats on the new ride, I also went from a 750 to the 900. I had a 1982 yamaha virago 750 that I rebuilt. The 9 is a great bike but sometimes I miss my old 750, That thing would rock off the line but nothing on the top end. I have a 09 Classic LT with almost 29000 miles and have had no problems with her yet. Enjoy the new ride and ride safe!

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
Nice bike indeed, congratulations.

I went from a 750 Spirit to the 900 Custom also; but i kept the 750 and my wife rides it mostly. I wouldn't be too suprised if you'll be dragging pegs on the 900 before too long, i drag mine regularly, but then i've lowered mine a bit.

Have fun, and ride safe!

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Top Contributor

Nice bike, but it's looking kinda...stock. Keep hanging around here and you'll get all kinds of ideas for doo-dads & what's-its to make it "your own".

Welcome aboard!

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 10:35 AM

Congrats on new ride glad you are enjoying it and the site!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Motorcycle.com Free App

2010 Vulcan 900 Custom

2010 Ninja ZX10R SE (SOLD)
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 AM

Sadly, they don't make the "perfect" bike. I'm fortunate to have 3 bikes and there's something that I don't like about all three of them!

'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
'08 Concours 14
'05 CBR1000RR Repsol
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Nice bike, but it's looking kinda...stock. Keep hanging around here and you'll get all kinds of ideas for doo-dads & what's-its to make it "your own".
I'm not an accessories guy. This cruiser is 1 to 2 hour a day bike. A meditative contraption used to haul my arse away from life as I know it on the way to nowhere in particular. It and the bike before it has helped me feel more alive than ever.

I'm 53 and have daydreamed many times about having a bike but was not the right time to own one. My speculation of owning one has not matched the reality I now have. Yesterday after changing oil and cleaning it up, I experienced a perfect ride on a perfect day.

Everyone has their reasons for owning one. I didn't imagine riding would make me different or a better man but in many ways, it has!

Quote:
I'm fortunate to have 3 bikes
I wish you had an album of these so I could drool.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 12:53 PM

Welcome, Daboo. I have an '07 9LT with 24K miles. I've changed oil, replaced tires twice, spark plugs once, adjusted valves once. No problems at all.

2007 VN900LT, red/titanium
OEM highway bars and luggage rack
OEM WS lowers
4.5 inch pull back risers
Kuryakin highway pegs
Stebel air horn
Utopia driver backrest on OEM seat
OEM gel seat for about town, and hauling grandkids
ISO grips
Jardine light bar
K&N air filter
Brakeaway cruise control
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I know the feeling! Can't imagine not having a bike now... it's such an enjoyable thing. My fiancee thinks so too. She'll stop by my house after work and I know she had a bad day because she's got her helmet and gear and she's ready to go. It's very cathardic!

Beats the heck out of the cage!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

I felt like an idiot yesterday. Must be old age. I guess I'm expecting this bike to be too good to be true... anyway!

I changed my oil and bike would not start. Pulled seat and checked battery cable and wires. I got frustrated and called a place looking for a battery. Went back out figuring if battery was weak, maybe it charged up a little. I finally saw that I had power switch off. I never use that sucker... I always turn bike off with key. What an idgit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode