Schaeffer synthetic oil?? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Schaeffer synthetic oil??

Has anyone used this in their 900? I bought my usual 10w-40 Amsoil yesterday but at 14.50 a quart it is getting a bit spendy. The place I buy my oil and filter also has this Schaeffer stuff. they have a 15w-40 and 20w-50 for motorcycles. I guess I would switch from 10w-40 to 15w-40. Online it is said it's the oldest oil company in the US. I have not ever heard of it and have searched the forum and it came back with no results. Does anybody have anything good or bad to say about it? I may switch back to regular oil if it keeps going up. I think it is all just Amsoil hype causing the price to rise like it is.

2006 Vulcan Classic
1993 HD FXR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Top Contributor

Quite some time ago we used to factory fill the hydraulics on some of our machines with Schaeffer Micron Moly fluid. Never had any trouble using it but we tested other fluids like Mobil DTE et al that were less cost and worked just as well in our application so we changed.

No experience with their engine oils.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Lifetime Premium

I run Schaeffer in my transmission on my F-350. The shop that rebuilt it swears by it and he has used it for years. It's good stuff.

Michael Oldfield
Paola, Ks.
VROC #1990
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VDOG #039
2010 VN900LT Bagger, Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing, Mutazu Hardbags, Mutazu Trunk

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:25 PM

goto amsoil.com and sign up to be a "preferred customer" I think it's about "$20.00 per year but you get all Amsoil products at dealer costs and they have super fast shipping.Never heard of Schaeffer oil so can't comment on that. Amsoil does have a s/h fee,so the more you order the better..I get oil/filters.gas additive, antifreeze,etc. from them ......alot of local places only carry the oil and yes,it is expensive that way buying local
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 12:38 PM

I have heard of Schaeffer's. I have not been able to find any documentation or comparisons, but the testimonials from car and diesel users that I can find runs about 60% for/40% against using Schaeffer's products. However, the specific concern I have is, after checking their website, they do not show a motorcycle specific oil; I'm in the camp for m/c only oils in a wet clutch engine.

There are those who say that motorcycles do not need an m/c only oil; others who use m/c only oils in their bikes. I've done both. Castrol GTX 10/40 conventional car in an old CB 550 changed every 1000 miles; no clutch slip. Valvoline conventional car 10/40 in a CM250 every 1000 miles; nasty clutch chatter. In the intervening years and seven bikes later (enduros, street, cruiser, scooters), my favorite m/c oil with zero clutch problems, chatters or slipping (changed every 8,000 to 15,000 miles).

Opinions about m/c only versus car, conventional versus synthetic, one brand over another, will vary and can become quite heated at times. Find what works well for your bike, what price point is comfortable for you and stick with it.

2006 VN900 Classic LT - Red and Black
Stage III Stock Pipes - K&N Filter in Stock Box - Amsoil - 170/80 Kenda Kruz - Saddlemen Explorer - Willie & Max Windshield Bag - Mutazu Passenger Floor Boards - Shorai Heavy Duty Battery - Kawasaki Lowers - Black Universal Trunk mounted on Mutazu Rack - Osram 70/65w Plus 50
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
If it doesn't have the JASO-MA rating I would't use it. Non-MC oils can cause a gradual but noticeable wearing of the clutch. In some cases it can even cause it to slip severely as soon as you change it! It isn't just re-bottled auto-oil.

It's your bike, of course, but if it's not MC specific or at least JASO-MA rated, I wouldn't do it..

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraig205 View Post
Has anyone used this in their 900? I bought my usual 10w-40 Amsoil yesterday but at 14.50 a quart it is getting a bit spendy. The place I buy my oil and filter also has this Schaeffer stuff. they have a 15w-40 and 20w-50 for motorcycles. I guess I would switch from 10w-40 to 15w-40. Online it is said it's the oldest oil company in the US. I have not ever heard of it and have searched the forum and it came back with no results. Does anybody have anything good or bad to say about it? I may switch back to regular oil if it keeps going up. I think it is all just Amsoil hype causing the price to rise like it is.
At $14.50 per qt., I can fully understand your feelings. That is higher than recommended retail and gives AMSOIL bad name where it is the Retailer trying to maximize profits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTL Rider View Post
goto amsoil.com and sign up to be a "preferred customer" I think it's about "$20.00 per year but you get all Amsoil products at dealer costs and they have super fast shipping.Never heard of Schaeffer oil so can't comment on that. Amsoil does have a s/h fee,so the more you order the better..I get oil/filters.gas additive, antifreeze,etc. from them ......alot of local places only carry the oil and yes,it is expensive that way buying local
WHY would you spend the money for a PC membership when you can buy AMSOIL through me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
If it doesn't have the JASO-MA rating I would't use it. Non-MC oils can cause a gradual but noticeable wearing of the clutch. In some cases it can even cause it to slip severely as soon as you change it! It isn't just re-bottled auto-oil.

It's your bike, of course, but if it's not MC specific or at least JASO-MA rated, I wouldn't do it..
I agree. Although some automotive oils carry the proper API Ratings where you don't need the JASO, most people have no idea what to look for. API SG and/or SG/SH is what is necessarry. A higher API such as SH, SJ, SM MAY be used but, at that point must carry the JASO MA, better yet, MA 2 Rating.

Although those oils meet minimum requirements, I still recommend a Motorcycle Specific oil as most have specific additives for Motorcycles.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isnít cheap
Cheap isnít The Best

Bob
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Top Contributor

Bob, nice to hear from you, I had to get away from my beloved Amsoil because here, on the East Coast of Canada.....20.99 a liter. TWENTY ONE DOLLARS a liter. I could not, on principal, pay that.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Top Contributor

Want to save money on oil, I've been running Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 full synthetic for the last 20k. It is a diesel oil but meets all the ratings for mortorcycles, it runs about $23 or less a gallon and you can get it at most walmarts, farm&fleets and AutoZone's. I get the filter from a local kawi dealer, all together it runs me about $30 or less and had no problems with it. Rotella does make a 15W-40 but it's not recommended for our bikes.

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Top Contributor

15-40 isn't recommended? Why? Jaso rated...etc....and it's what I'm using now. What have u heard that I haven't?
The Rotella 10-30 isn't Jaso rated......I've spent WAY too much time researching this oil....lol.
5-40 (blue jug) is a pseudo-synthetic....Jaso-ma-rated. (WET CLUTCH COMPATIBLE)
15-40 (white jug) is a conventional(dino)oil....Jaso-ma- rated (WET CLUTCH COMPATIBLE)
10-30....NO Jaso-ma designation (Stay away)...lol.

2009 VN900 Classic LT.
Nova Scotia, Canada.
Cobra luggage rack.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).

Last edited by silenthill; 04-21-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode